Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in UAE - a balanced view..?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aphid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Teaching in UAE - a balanced view..? Reply with quote

I am contemplating an opportunity to work in Abu Dhabi but I am confused by the various comments I have read. Some are positive although the majority seem to be quite negative, in terms of school administration and management, behaviour/attitudes of students, cost of living...the list goes on.

I would appreciate thoughts from anyone with direct experience of working in schools in Abu Dhabi to help me get a more rounded view....or is there little in its favour?

Many thanks,

Aphid
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are reading here is the rounded view... whatever that is... some like it, some hate it... if they hate it, they are more likely to post here. There are some good place to work and there are probably more that are awful.

Whether you will like it or hate it depends on your ability to cope with the situation at the place that you are hired... and to learn more about your employer, try doing a search here or directly ask about it.

If you are referring to primary to secondary school, check the employer VERY carefully. The majority of the horror stories come from these schools - but you will find that the majority of teachers here are working with adults or university level.

It is almost impossible to generalize...

VS
tek44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that one coming. Very Happy
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Here you go! Reply with quote

aphid,

Honestly and fom my own point of view, Abu Dhabi is a lovely place and the UAE is the PLACE in the Gulf. Life here is good, you can get anything you want and there are places for all kinds of people (quiet/ laid back/ night life and so on!).

Since I highly recommend UAE doesn't automatically mean that you will be happy here I advise you to be very careful with your employer! There are not so many good place except the Western institutions, but you can find decent ones too.

Now, if you give us more info, I am pretty sure that people here on this forum can help you, for example:

1) Who is your employer?
2) From what country are you coming from?
3) Where have you taught before? Or where are you teaching presently?
4) Your expectations?
5) Contract? Do they provide housing or no?
6) Do you have Gulf experience?
7) Teaching or management position?
Cool Do you have a family? kids?
And more!
bje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw that one coming.

Saw what coming? A balanced view? So did I, but this time I decided to refrain from letting forum readers know that my intellect was pretty much up to scratch this morning.
aphid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

The role I am considering applying for is an advisory one working with and supporting local teachers at KS3 through CfBT (who used to run the national strategies in the UK). It is likely that it will involve a number of schools but as yet I don't know.

I am already working as an advisor in the UK after 20 odd years teaching experience is various schools. I quite fancy the idea of working abroad for a change but I want to be sure that this is likely to be a positive experience, hence my wish the canvas views of those with direct experience.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already done so, I would spend a few hours slogging though the last couple of pages and read any of the threads that look like they might be about the new programs that they are starting to implement in the schools. (also check HCT threads since they are involved in this too - besides their tertiary degree programs) Right now things sound as if they are a complete mess, and although the desperately need those with extensive experience like yours, I suspect that it would be an extremely frustrating job.

CfBt has a spotty reputation in the Gulf. More bad reviews than good on this board. These will come up if you do a search of the UAE and Oman boards. Personally if I were to be getting into a job like this, I would want to be hired by the local ministries, not through an outside contract. You have more job security and usually better pay and benefits with a government contract. I'd want to see my position well-defined - in writing - as verbal promises will evaporate quickly.

Most seem to enjoy life in Abu Dhabi if they can tolerate the heat and humidity. Cool I think that for you the actual job is the biggest question mark.

VS
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: All thge best! Reply with quote

Actually you will make more money with CfBT than a local government. There is a Canadian lady who did it in Qatar and now is in Abu Dhabi or Al-Ain (not sure) who was offered about 20,000 AED/A month, NOT BAD HUH!

CfBT has a good reputation in Brunei and Malaysia.

My advice is don't work for an Arab management style because during the interview they tell you that we need people like you and once you get here, the other staff members realize that you are smart and qualified, then the mindgames start. What is that mean? They will do every single thing to sack you and they will win.

GO WITH CfBT with no fears and stay away from the Arab management and I am sure that you will do well!
aphid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the synopsis of discussions on the forum and especially for making me aware of CfBT's reputation out there. On balance it�s not sounding too good.

It is very early days yet but at least I am forming an opinion of whether or not I should apply and, if I do, what I should watch out for. It goes without saying that I would want to look first hand at what conditions are like out there should I get to the point of an offer. All very premature since I haven't even applied yet! The whole point of this exercise is to help me decide if I should even bother. The court is still out on that just yet and I also have to take into consideration the wellbeing of my family.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fears and definitely check things out very carefully!! It's called common sense. Laughing

Read all the CfBT posts from the past few years on all the Gulf country boards here so you know what questions to ask.

VS
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: NO FEARS! Reply with quote

If you were going to work for the Ministry of Education, you'd go through very bumpy, rough and turbulent times. CfBT man is a good outfit! Just make sure they offer you a good salary and nice perks! The rest is a piece of cake!

Just take it!
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed things about CfBT in the Gulf (better in other countries as previously mentioned). Definitely do a search to get some feedback before you accept.
aphid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the cautionary tales. I will indeed tread carefully if/when it comes to the crunch.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in UAE - a balanced view..? Reply with quote

aphid wrote:
I would appreciate thoughts from anyone with direct experience of working in schools in Abu Dhabi to help me get a more rounded view....or is there little in its favour?

It's really very simple: Working in the ME is highly rewarding and highly challenging. If you can handle the challenges, you'll love the rewards. if you can't handle the challenges, you won't even notice the rewards.
aphid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you define "challenges", please. We talking about the cultural differences, management and administration, student behaviour, low salary, climate...?

It would help to understand your take on this. All adds to the understanding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: