Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

URGENT: HONG KONG NET SCHEME
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraggy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread but I just have one simple question.

I have a B.Ed in elementary school teaching and I have 2 years full time ESL experience in Korea.

However, I don't have a TEFL/TESOL qualification. It's listed in the requirements on the NET website but I'm just wondering if it's absolutely necessary? Have you ever heard of anyone getting in without it?

Thanks,

K.
hanlier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kraggy,

Applying and going through all the hoops for the NET scheme this year(and finally getting in), I can assure you that you need a TEFL. In our pool, some teachers needed to complete the TEFL before they were allowed in. I guess because competition is so stiff they are trying to make it harder? Don't know. Also , try to find out from EDB, but completion is stiff and you need something that makes you stand out. Some candidates have Masters and all kinds of other things, so getting a TEFL will make you at least look better on paper.

Good luck!
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you have the better your chances basically...
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can always just apply anyway.
think_balance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any former JETs on NET? How do you find the job compares to JET?
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETs I have spoken to seemed to enjoy their time in Japan but say the conditions on the NET scheme are better. I only have a vague recollection of conversations, though, so hopefully a former JET will jump in.

Over 10 years ago, I did a year at Nova (Novacation, as people called it) in Japan as a part-time instructor. I enjoyed it there but at the time I was still a uni student and only had supermarket jobs to compare it to. I'm now a NET here and it's a completely different world. Much better work conditions and salary (although it must be said, conditions vary from school to school). Not quite sure how it compares to JET.
sfairc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggy wrote:
Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread but I just have one simple question.

I have a B.Ed in elementary school teaching and I have 2 years full time ESL experience in Korea.

However, I don't have a TEFL/TESOL qualification. It's listed in the requirements on the NET website but I'm just wondering if it's absolutely necessary? Have you ever heard of anyone getting in without it?

Thanks,

K.

I'm in a similar situation, but not quite. I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here as well in the event that the other post gets overlooked. I'm also thinking about becoming a PNET, and I know it's a bit on the late side but I have a question:

Does the TESL certificate have to be done in person, or is online acceptable? I was going to go through a recruiter for the PNET scheme, and while it doesn't openly state anywhere in the requirements the need for the coursework to be done in person, they were insistent that I wouldn't make the cut. For the record: what I have is a nationally certified program that included 100 hours of online coursework and a 20 hour practicum. The practicum obviously was done in person. As a Canadian it meets the standard for TESL Canada level 1, so it's pretty legit. Is it worth my time to apply on my own directly through the Hong Kong Bureau of Education?

I have 2 years of ESL experience abroad, about 6 months of ESL teaching done here in Canada, a teaching degree, Ontario College of Teachers certification for junior (grades 4-6) and I will have certification for primary (kindy-grade 3) by the end of April.

Basically is it worth my time to apply and deal with the instability of not knowing for a while, or should I focus my efforts on International Schools within Hong Kong and China?
looseleaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I asked this recently with the EdB NET help desk and they stated that the TEFL course has to have at least 100 hours of contact time, as in sitting in a classroom, as opposed to doing it online.

I'm sorry, but your application would get rejected Sad

I'm in a similar situation and I asked them if I could still apply if I was able to do a CELTA course before the start of the contract. They said that was ok, as long as it was completed before the summer.

Might be worth emailing them to ask if you're ok to apply on this basis.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looseleaf wrote:

I'm sorry, but your application would get rejected Sad

If the day ends in a 'y' or the sun is rising in the west on the fourth moon of Jupiter......as has been said A MILLION times on here....submit the application and see what happens. They are a LAW UNTO THEMSELVES and HUGELY inconsistent in their consistency when accepting or rejecting.

The guy has a teaching degree......and experience.......
looseleaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it would get rejected on the basis of his TEFL course, in that it was an online one. Of course, he may be able to get through based on his other experience, but that wasn't what the question was about.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looseleaf wrote:
I said it would get rejected on the basis of his TEFL course, in that it was an online one. Of course, he may be able to get through based on his other experience, but that wasn't what the question was about.

But the point being made is that he won't, necessarily, be rejected on the grounds that his TEFL course is of the online variety. The people at the EdB, as elsewhere in the HK government, are famous for inconsistency and illogicality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: