Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools should offer work visa before you come to China?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai6854

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Schools should offer work visa before you come to China????? Reply with quote

Well, I'm back with one more question. After searching around in this Cafe, I spotted a post that says this: " Do not trust any school that says they will not giving you a work visa, BEFORE entering China. If they tell you to come in on a tourist visa - and that they will process ur paperwork when ur there, drop the school immeadiately. Ur getting setup to be blackmailed into slave illegal labor."

My contract from Delter states: 'the college will provide the employee with a visa for the duration of the agreement and will pay for all expenses occuring in China in relation to providing this visa' BUT, I must obtain a 3 month tourist visa here in New York before leaving. What should I do as I have not signed the contract because in other posts regarding contracts (from Dave and others), there were items not listed so I requested that they be inserted before I sign. Thanks all who can sort this one out for me!! Shocked
lajzar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice I applied for jobs in China. Both times, I left them on a back burner, asking them by email to arrange for a visa before I went there. Both times, rather than do this, they phoned me internationally to try and persuade me that it is perfectly reasonable to work on a visa that explicitly states it is not valid for working.

Both times I politely declined to pay for the airfare myself and let them reimburse me for the flight after I arrive and let them arrange teh visa after I start working.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of DELTER, you don't need to worry as they are a fairly well-established private school that will apply to the PSB for your work visa. There is a proviso though - you have to come here on your own, and pass a probation period, which you are likely to pass under normal circumstances (you really have to be very idiotic to slip up).
The processing time is anywhere from about ten days to 2 weeks, so add to this potential holidays, sick leaves of key personnel or a major local crisis, and you will easily need at least one month in your visa. If they say 3 months, well, try to get them to upgrade you right in month 2!
Disclaimer: There are rules, and there are folks. Folks make rules, but rules apply to others all the time. Translation: those who make the rules do not know how often their rules get ignored. Many schools don't go to the trouble of registering you as a legal resident. It is at your (considerable) risk if you accept a job without going through the loops and motions necessary to make you legal. If the school gets away with you, they will get away with the next expat teacher.
Once you are illegal, the school is more likely to take liberties with you, such as not paying your airfare at the end of your contract.
MoggIntellect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about in the case of a University? I am considering a post at the University in Lanzhou and they want me to do the same thing. Get a visitor Visa, pay my airfare first, etc., etc. Exactly as stated above. Do I have reason for concern? Or is that standard opporating proceedure? (I must also add that they pay poorly [3000 RMB] so it isn't a situation of luring me to teach there.)
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English First was going to send me a ticket in advance, but I was not going to get the work visa until after I arrived as a tourist. From what I understand, this is not uncommon. If it were a small, unknown shcool, I would think twice, however.

But, I decided I didn't want to go to China anyway, so it was moot.

Peace and good luck.
Kai6854

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all....I just wanted to be sure I did not do something foolish but most all illegal my first time out of the gate. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: