Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear tollaerd,

"Watch that grammar - mixed conditionals."

Does this imply that there's something incorrect about using a mixed conditional such as the following?

'If you still love your children, you wouldn't have been spending the child benefit on yourself."

If it does, you might want to review this site:

http://www.musicalenglishlessons.org/grammar/rules.htm

or, to mix a conditional:

If you think VS's mixed conditional is incorrect, you might have missed that class.

Regards,
John
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Perhaps if you can't handle the job, you should have chosen to leave during the probationary period.
You do not seem to be adjusting to a different system that you have been used to...VS

Mixed conditionals depend on the context. The modal can be used as below

The sentence should read
"Perhaps if you can't handle the job, you should choose to leave during the probationary period."

From what I've read, the probationary period is one year, not one semeseter so presumably the poster is still under probation?

The second sentence has a very syntax.

It should read

You do not seem to be adjusting to a different system from the one (that) you have been used to...
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear tollaerd,

"Watch that grammar - mixed conditionals."

Does this imply that there's something incorrect about using a mixed conditional such as the following?

'If you still love your children, you wouldn't have been spending the child benefit on yourself."

If it does, you might want to review this site:

http://www.musicalenglishlessons.org/grammar/rules.htm

or, to mix a conditional:

If you think VS's mixed conditional is incorrect, you might have missed that class.

Regards,
John

Thanks John. I probably did. Mixed conditionals are usually Conditional I and modal verbs. The sentence is not an example of good grammar or even acceptable grammar.

I think your example is very strange. Why do you use the adverb 'still'? Still is used to refer to continuity. So the person doesn't love his children anymore? Wouldn't 'really' or 'actually' be a better choice?

I think it should read

'If you [still] loved your children, you wouldn't have spent the child benefit on yourself."

or maybe

'If you [still] love your children, you wouldn't spend the child benefit on yourself."
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lollaerd wrote:
The sentence should read
"Perhaps if you can't handle the job, you should choose to leave during the probationary period."

From what I've read, the probationary period is one year, not one semeseter so presumably the poster is still under probation?

From a previous post, s/he was complaining that the period was ending and that s/he felt that not enough time had been given to make the decision. So, I believe that my tense choice was correct... but admit that the sentences were written with no thought at all to grammar. Laughing

VS
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will pay equity be considered? Or will it be a repeat of the SQU 3 pay scale system which caused so much upset?
stickleback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idaho_potato wrote:
Will pay equity be considered? Or will it be a repeat of the SQU 3 pay scale system which caused so much upset?

Good point - if it is true that the incoming newbies will be earning more than people do now, there will be a lot of unhappy staff. Maybe that is the point to get more people to quit so they can bring in more fresh meat, as someone told me was part of the revamped agenda. Fresh meat isn't always good quality.
landcruzer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really bad move - paying new teachers more than the people already on staff. It caused a lot of trouble at one of the schools I worked at.
blastermill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still causing grievance from what's being said. For the past few years about 20% of the teachers leave - either fired or quit Similar figures expected this year as the new foundation is floundering and teachers are overworked with evaluation by people who don't really know what they are doing. They keep changing the ground rules. What other foundation program in the region has undergone 5 make-overs? At whose expense? The students and the teachers. The admin people seem to be clueless according to my friend who quit last year He's landed on his feet elsewhere and I may join him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: