Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American International School in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: American International School in Egypt Reply with quote

American International School in Egypt

I have a brother who has been contacted by a Mr (MOD edit) Young of esolonline. Does anyone have information on this school in Egypt and esolonline.
They want him to teach US History and World History. He has not been out of the USA. Any answer is helpful.

Thanks, Mad Dog
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIS is a pretty reputable establishment in Cairo. I think almost any school in Egypt will require a good bit of flexilbilty, since management styles differ from what we're accustomed to in N. America.

Veiled Sentiments: Didn't your 2 friends work at AIS? The one's whose blog you directed me to?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be... I tend to not pay attention to the names of the many international schools around the ME since I can't keep them straight. I just checked some of the older entries in his blog and I couldn't find where he mentioned the name of the school. But, it makes sense as he was teaching history. That said, the management there was a good example of the problems that one encounters... and the students were a handful. But, my friend had a great sense of humor and laid-back attitude and was able to cope with all the challenges.

Maddog... this wouldn't be a job for a young, inexperienced teacher. You need good class management skills and an even better sense of humor to corral these kids and actually teach them. My friend was in his 30's and had done extensive world travel although he had never lived overseas... also his wife spoke some Arabic. These things tend to smooth out some of the challenge of living and working in Cairo.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need good class management skills and an even better sense of humor to corral these kids and actually teach them.

This is true for almost all the schools in Egypt. The high school kids are more than a handful. Cairo American College would be the best environment, best package, etc. for someone like your brother. They are still hiring, but not for secondary History teachers.
MadDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: American International School Egypt Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'll forward to my brother and continue to consult on the possibility for him. Mad Dog
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomasvillecentral.com/adv.htm

Maddog, check out this link. These are friends of Veiled Sentiment's, and if you notice at the bottom of their web page, they offer an email link to answer questions about AIS.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a useful source, but I don't know these two personally... but I suspect that they are friends of friends. Cool

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, VS. I thought this was their link, but I confused the two. Worth emailing anyways, maddog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: