Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethiopia with no degree... or any African country.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzap1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Ethiopia with no degree... or any African country. Reply with quote

I've wanted to experience Ethiopia for a long time now. I've searched the African forum to no avail and wondered if anyone had any info on this question.
I'm also interested in other African countries where I could teach without a degree.
I have seven years teaching experience in Asia and a TEFL and I'm not too worried about salary, as long s I have enough to live and maybe a little extra.

Any info regarding teaching in Africa without a degree would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six years later and you're finding a lack of a degree still hinders your ability to find decent teaching gigs. Anyway, you might try asking on Lonely Planet; it seems to cater to those interested in travel with some on-the-side teaching. After weeding out volunteer teachingjobs, perhaps you'll find some options including opportunities teaching private, paying students.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little prospect anywhere. Effective demand is low and most African countries rely on their own nationals as teachers.
bazzap1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, employers hire novice teachers with a degree over experienced teachers without a degree. I'm only basing that on what I have read online, mind you. The majority of my teaching experience comes from teaching in China, where teaching without a degree has never been a problem so I haven't really been able to test the waters anywhere else.
I'm not looking for side work while traveling. I'm genuinely interested in Ethiopia and I am a dedicated and hard working teacher.
Thanks for the information guys. Sounds a little bit disappointing. Maybe I will travel there and see if I can pick anything up or do some volunteer work perhaps.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzap1976 wrote:
Yeah well, employers hire novice teachers with a degree over experienced teachers without a degree. I'm only basing that on what I have read online, mind you.

I'm not looking for side work while traveling. I'm genuinely interested in Ethiopia and I am a dedicated and hard working teacher.

Ah, but in the beginning, you too were a novice teacher, so that argument is moot. Anyway, it's not about employers adjusting to fit your qualifications. Instead, they expect to see applicants whose quals meet the needs of the school (or visa regs), and that usually includes having at minimum, a BA. To an employer, a degree indicates initiative, a commitment to learning, and a solid work ethic---proof that the applicant worked hard and had dedicated him/herself to four years of study. Employers see the degree holder's potential.

Volunteer work in Ethiopia will be personally rewarding. Good luck.
bazzap1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is logic in what you say, just not all together foolproof though. I'm not sure how these questions always end up in a discussion about the morality of only accepting "degreed' teachers. I think there are flaws for and against the argument and no point going around in circles on the subject. I was in fact only looking for some advice and wasn't really looking to change the TEFL world. Haha! Thanks for your input.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzap1976 wrote:
I'm not sure how these questions always end up in a discussion about the morality of only accepting "degreed' teachers. I think there are flaws for and against the argument and no point going around in circles on the subject. I was in fact only looking for some advice and wasn't really looking to change the TEFL world. Haha! Thanks for your input.

"Morality" has nothing to do with it; try reality instead. It's all about supply and demand and what employers and visa regulations require. That's the reality of the situation; it is what it is. The world owes us nothing. Not what you want to hear but...

Numerous times throughout these forums you've asked for advice on TEFL jobs in countries where being degree-less isn't an issue. When it's pointed out that your lack of a degree is limiting you, you get defensive towards the messenger and you no longer hear the message. Any frustration on your part really should be aimed back at yourself as denial. It requires acknowledgement and some self-reflection on choices made. It's part of being human---we all do it.

Anyway, if you're tired of being preached at, perhaps it's best you should no longer ask your "where can I teach without a degree" questions on these forums. Just do your job research silently on your own. Otherwise, resolve to face reality with determination and not defensiveness. Also be prepared to answer the following critical question during an interview with a potential employer: "Why haven't you gotten a degree?"

Again, good luck.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hire a jiveass honky with no qualifications, when they can hire one of their own ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: