Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Church tax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRCash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Church tax Reply with quote

What is the church tax in Germany, I am a lapsed Catholic (more agnostic now, and therefore would be annoyed to have to pay for something I don't use), would I need to pay it?
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany's no place for those who don't like taxes. Five percent of everyone's tax now goes to reconstruct that godforesaken and getting ever worse old East Germany. Never mind if you never go there, you pay.

Same with Church Tax. You tick some box when you register and that's that. Mind you, the churches are very nice.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can opt out of paying it. But you have to opt out - not opt in ! Speak to those nice people in the Steueramt.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing my ignorance here. When you say church tax. Is this tithe you are talking about? The one that a canny Scotsman slagged off in the Wealth of Nations in the late 18th century?
poro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Church tax Reply with quote

JRCash wrote:
What is the church tax in Germany, I am a lapsed Catholic (more agnostic now, and therefore would be annoyed to have to pay for something I don't use), would I need to pay it?

Church tax is paid by registered members of Germany's churches. I don't know how much it is today, but iirc they used to deduct an additional 8% of whatever you paid in income tax, and that's what the churches live off.

If you don't want to pay it, tell them you have no religion when you enter Germany. If this is too late, and they've somehow got you down for a religion anyway, do as Hod says, and tell them it's a mistake. Your employer can do this for you, or you can go to the Finanzamt yourself and tell them yourself.
neil1979

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently registered at the Steueramt in Germany and then got a letter asking me to 'clarify' my religious situation. Although I am technically Cathilic I am simply going to put down that I was never baptised (if you tick that box you don't have to specify if you later left the church etcetera)...okay, it's not true but I figure surely they aren't going to start investigating the matter with authorities in the UK for example to find out what your religious situation is...
Robski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: god tax Reply with quote

What I've heard about this is that whatever religion you say you are, that's the faith that gets the money. So, find some religion that doesn't have a church, mosque, synogogue etc and declare that your that one. I think it's the case that they cannot give your money to a religion you're not. For example, the church of the fallen again TEFL teacher might work.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm My brother is an athiest and nobody in the (nuclear) family is religious but he still ticked a box and pays it. I asked him why and he said it was more socially acceptable or something.
dagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make an appointment with your a priest of your local catholic church. Declare that you are not religious and wish to leave the catholic church. Get the priest to issue a written proof that you have officially left the church and are not a member anymore.
Provide it to the Finanzamt and you will not have to pay anymore. And you're not a catholic anymore but a true atheist.
Most Germans by the way find this step much too drastic e.g. in some areas it is socially not accepted and they rather pay.
Gosh, btw. I can't come up with an appropiate English term. The Germans say "aus der Kirche austreten". Maybe anyone knows?
Anyway, that's the only way to avoid those church taxes.
neil1979

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'To leave the church' - pretty simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: