Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proper attire for western men
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCHUBERT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: proper attire for western men Reply with quote

i had noted the women talking clothes on the Forum and wondered what us men get up to in the closet. I know when I get home from 'work', i can't wait to lose the 'uniform' - shirt, tie, slacks ensemble and go au naturel for a spell with the A/C on Full. Then i lounge about the apartment sipping a shay bil-laymoon, reflecting on my day at 'work' and wondering how best to keep my students awake in class.

Then, after a siesta, i shower and slip into something comfortable, usually one of my Thobes. I am careful to choose a colour that best reflects my mood. Then its mealtime. I live alone but i always lay the table for 2; myself and an imaginary wife. Wife of my dreams. I usually address her in Italian - she likes that - and ask what she would like for dinner that evening. Being a dream-wife, she isnt too fussy which is why our marriage has lasted so long.

'We' dont go out a lot here in saudi but when we do, I usually wear light cotton shirt and matching pants. That way, we blend in easily with the supermarket-going crowd. And I'm not big on underwear either. In this climate, as far as I'm concerned, less is more. Is it the same for you guys ?
Van Norden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: proper attire for western men Reply with quote

Nice SCHUBERT. That was a good read.

For me, the only good thing about living in an all-male environment is that you don't need to worry about your appearance. You go out unshaved, your hair unbrushed, ripped and stained t-shirt, etc. It just doesn't matter. And anyway, it doesn't pay to look good here in KSA. You can only attract unwanted attention (if you get my drift.)

As for work; you don't wear a tie, there are usually buttons missing on your shirts, and May is the beginning of the sandal-wearing season. You refuse to wear socks in this heat.
dont wear sandals / try to avoid the scandals
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dress code where I am. Some of the collegaues manage with a West Ham football strip, slacks (NOT shorts), shoes and the mandatory gold necklace.

I have been in jobs in KSA where they had a dress code.
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ham harram teacherrr ... "
"No you're thinking of Wimbledon .. Sam Hammam"

Last edited by Sheikh Inal Ovar on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAM-burg is also haram - not to mention HAM-burgers !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Saudi Arabia there is no strict dress code for foreigners working in Government/private institutions, except may be in the Military/Hospital sectors where men have to wear their specific uniforms.
But to be respected by the Saudis, I think, a foreigner men should wear clean clothes and should look smart, if not, you will be not respected by the Saudis and you will be treated like SADIK! Shorts are not allowed in work or public places!!

For Saudi men they have to wear their traditional clothes (Khamis, usually white, with Gutra and Ogal and sandals, or shoes in winter) and this is dominated by their tradition more than dress code in the sense of the West. You will not see a Saudi men with Western clothes in his work (it is considered by most Saudis as a break of their tradition, especially Government one (except in Military/Hospital where they are bound by specific uniform).

I Remember two or three years ago, the Saudi government banned any men (Saudi and foreigners) to wear a sport suit or Khamis with half-sleeve when going to Government Offices or to the Saudi Airlines. I remember one day I went to the Saudi Airline for my reservation, wearing a half-sleeve Tunisian style Khamis, the agent in the Saudi Airlines asked me why I am wearing this type of Khamis, because for him it is considered as Pyjama, and therefore it is banned in Government offices and Saudi Airlines, I argued with him that this type of Khamis is not a pyjama and is used to be worn in summer in other countries like Morocco and Tunisia.

Van wrote:
..And anyway, it doesn't pay to look good here in KSA. You can only attract unwanted attention (if you get my drift.)

Van, you know very well that for a Westerner with Blue/Green eyes and white/red skin will attract attention whether he is dressed smartly or not!
It is your eyes and color of your skin/hair (especially ginger one) which will decide on your 'attractiveness' in both positive and negative way!
Van Norden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the starchy-white Saudi thobe but I dig those half-sleeve Tunisian style Khamis mentioned by 007. I've often thought that 6 or 7 of them would make a good, complete wardrobe for the tropical legs of the upcoming Van Norden World Tour. I might even adopt SCHUBERT'S approach to underwear to further simplify things and reduce baggage weight.

BTW, how much are they 007? (Remember, I'm on a tight budget.) And what's the material - all cotton or mixed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Norden wrote:
...BTW, how much are they 007? (Remember, I'm on a tight budget.) And what's the material - all cotton or mixed?

They cost between SR30 to SR250, depends on the quality of the material (cotton or Crepe). The most expensive ones (from SR65 - 250) are what we call Kings one with special material and with 'mosaic' style, you can get them in Jeddah, Maddinah and Makkah . One of the best is called Al-Maghrebi.
Robski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bicyle doesn't have air conditioning and it can get a bit hot cyling in long trousers. But I don't like hanging around in coffee bars in shorts - you can get stared at by these blokes sometimes, though it isn't clear why. Sitting there with my book and my cappucino I feel I should also wear a little more than just a sweaty shirt.

So, I cyle in long black jeans and duffle coat. Embarassed
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess kilts aren't really an option?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military teaching jobs require dress shirt (short-sleeve in summer), tie, and dress slacks. As far as wearing shorts in public.....always had colleagues that would insist on wearing shorts and T-shirt to go out in public, trip to the supermarket. I would discourage this.
As Khawaja, we already stand out as it is....why would you want to attract even more attention to yourself?
I have never seen Saudi men wearing shorts in public, unless the type of activity required it....like participating in sporting event.
Remember....as visitors....we should adapt to the customs and traditions of our host country. (Americans....seem to find this especially difficult to comprehend).
I would love to wear a thobe, actually, but traditionally only Saudi's wear them in public.
As far as the other kind of negative attention....why is it that living in the ME makes hetero men turn homophobic?
I don't have this fear in the US, quite as much....but living in the ME...I remember very distinctly being quite aware of any tell-tale signs that someone might be trying to hit on me.
Maybe one of the side effects of lack of estrogen in the monastic living environment there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
I guess kilts aren't really an option?

Why not? I think the kilt is also suitable for riding a bicyle.
I saw his Excellency prince Charles wearing a kilt and riding a horse, so by analogy a Scottish wearing a kilt can easily ride a bicyle?

BTW, Dmb, I wonder why his Excellency prince charles wears kilt, eventhough he is not a Scottish?
amity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bunches of dishdash (thobe) made up to wear in the house, and brought them back to U.S. when I returned. I didn't have to buy a nightgown for years! They were my favorite thing to wear while they lasted. Needless to say I never wore them in public in Kuwait, but i could see that they were a very practical garment for the climate.

Last edited by amity on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
goingbald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: proper attire for western men Reply with quote

Good morning all,

This is a rather interesting and an unusually beneficial thread, so I thought I'd add my two penn'o'th.

Personally, I wear a thobe to work all the time, because I am a Muslim, and because it's allowed in my workplace. (Note: wearing a thobe is not obligatory for any male Muslim. I would also wear it in non-Muslim countries)

As a "westerner" (even though I loathe using that term), I humbly believe that a man should look decent in any situation, be it at work or at play.

In summary:

1. Avoid wearing shorts. I believe that it does attract attention, from males and females alike. If, however, you're playing foot/basket ball, there shouldn't be a problem.

2. Short sleeved thobes (otherwise known as "dishdashas") are generally considered to be bedroom/house attire by the majority of the populace here. You can get away with wearing one, but only if you're nipping out for some milk. A young man can get away with it. An older man would be stared at.

3. Ties are optional. You can be spotted as a foreigner a mile off due to things such as body language and of course, your use of the English language (duhh), so it's up to you whether you want to affirm this even more visibly.

4. Trousers and a shirt are fine. I advise wearing a t-shirt underneath (and they are widely, cheaply available here) so that you don't look a sweaty mess in hot weather. If you get rather sweaty, a white shirt is always a good staple for work.

5. If you wish to wear a t-shirt, don't make it an offensive one. For example, if you want to wear "SEX - do it for the kids", leave it for a place where the dominant culture permits it.

Schubert, your post was a lovely intro. Very easy on the eyes. Quite a rarity on these forums, to be honest.

Owzat?

gb
ALPH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed. It appears the men - when left to themselves, can get along superbly on these threads. And ditto the Ladies. They shine - so to speak - like Schubert's 'ever absent' wife. So there might be a case to be made for Men only / women only Forums and then some agreed middle ground where they can confer. It would at least cut out all the squabbling and squawking that pass for 'Discussion' on these boards
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: