Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best employer in Morocco
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teslwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Best employer in Morocco Reply with quote

Who is the best employer in Morocco as far as work conditions/pay/benefits?

Thanks
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amideast?

Or, if you are British, the British Council, I would think.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Council and the American International School as far as Casablanca is concerned, in my opinion.

I don't know about Amideast, but I have heard that they don't pay very well. All the other little language institutes seem to pay between 8k and 10k a month after tax, which I don't think is nearly enough to live well in Casa. For a good life style you need more like 17k plus after tax, taking into account a good flat will set you back 4k at least, then add another 1.5k for transport if you don't have a car (taxis) or another 3k if you do have a car.
teslwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks wrote:
Amideast?

Or, if you are British, the British Council, I would think.

Hello Brooks,

I'm American. Can you tell me about your experience with Amideast?

Thanks,
Becky
teslwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
British Council and the American International School as far as Casablanca is concerned, in my opinion.

I don't know about Amideast, but I have heard that they don't pay very well. All the other little language institutes seem to pay between 8k and 10k a month after tax, which I don't think is nearly enough to live well in Casa. For a good life style you need more like 17k plus after tax, taking into account a good flat will set you back 4k at least, then add another 1.5k for transport if you don't have a car (taxis) or another 3k if you do have a car.

Hello, TwinCentre,

Thanks for your reply. Are you currently working in Casablanca? Have you worked in any other cities in Morocco.

Thanks,
Becky
Winston Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amideast offers lousy contracts: no help with flight fares, no settling in allowance, no help with finding an apartment, no bonuses (completing or resigning) and no health plan. Although pay can be good (you're paid by the hour) during some months, it can be deadly during down seasons. At the British Council & ALC, you're salaried so although it may appear that you don't make as much, it's consistent over the year, and you get health care. At both places you;re also legal workers - at Amideast, you're not.
teslwannabe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston Bear wrote:
Amideast offers lousy contracts: no help with flight fares, no settling in allowance, no help with finding an apartment, no bonuses (completing or resigning) and no health plan. Although pay can be good (you're paid by the hour) during some months, it can be deadly during down seasons. At the British Council & ALC, you're salaried so although it may appear that you don't make as much, it's consistent over the year, and you get health care. At both places you;re also legal workers - at Amideast, you're not.

Winston Bear,

Thanks for the info. So, when are the down seasons?

-Becky
Winston Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The off season is usually the summer months. Also, just so you know, they offer no paid holidays, that includes government holidays. So if you want to go away, you obviously don't get paid. Other schools do offer some form of paid holidays.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teslwannabe wrote:
TwinCentre wrote:

Hello, TwinCentre,

Thanks for your reply. Are you currently working in Casablanca? Have you worked in any other cities in Morocco.

Thanks,
Becky

Hi Becky

I left Morocco a year and a half back. Worked in Casa for a few years. I did some secondment stuff in other cities, but always employed in Casa. I enjoyed the job itself, but as for a destination, Morocco wasn't one of my favourite places to work nor one of the happier periods in my life, so I don't tend to rave about it much, but if you need any straight forward advice regarding anything else, I will be happy to help, along with others on this board.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ALCs are the best in terms of material although not prestige.
Winston Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Africaexpert. The ALC may be lacking in prestige but they offer their teachers (legal workers I would stress) a fixed salary, a health plan, professional development (including an annual conference) and excellent resources.
steady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston Bear wrote:

... "at Amideast, you're not." Why not?
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I stand corrected.
So it seems that pay has gone down at Amideast over the last ten years.
I never worked there. I heard about it, since I wanted to know where students could take classes for the TOEFL and other tests (SAT, GMAT, GRE). In Casablanca, Amideast is in Dar America, which has a library with English books.

Probably work at the American school in Rabat would pay the best, but it isn't easy getting work there.
medina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brooks is right about the American School, but they really don't have much work to offer in TEFL.
About Steady's question to WB: why aren't people working at Amideast "legal workers". I've heard they don't bother getting their teachers work permits from the Moroccan government, so teachers there can't get green cards and so they just leave the country every three months. The other thing I heard is that they don't pay taxes on what teachers make. And they can get away with this are because they're kind of seen as connected to the US Embassy. Like I said, this is what I've heard. Please correct me if this wrong!
steady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ Please correct me if this wrong![/quote]

I'll take you up on that one, Medina.

All teachers at Amideast are legal. All receive an 'Attestation de Travail' and get a 'Carte de Sejour', meaning that none have to leave the country every three months. Taxes depend on where the teachers come from.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: