Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best employer in Morocco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moongoat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Amideast last year, and at ALC Meknes before that. There is a marked difference in legality. ALC provided a Moroccan work contract (once the slightly odd ALC contract was signed) which was necessary to obtain a carte de s�jour. This is the legal residence card, which obviates visa runs to Spain. (Take the ferry; do not try to saunter into Ceuta.) However, Amideast employed teachers as "independent contractors", which relieves them from any further bureaucratic responsibility. You need more than an attestation to get your residence card! The pay was better in the long run at ALC, not to mention a few benefits, etc.
steady

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moongoat,

All AMIDEAST teachers get Cartes de Sejour. If you didn't, then it must be because you couldn't be bothered applying for one.

So you are Streetcat and Moongoat?
moongoat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The streetcat handle went inactive and was never turned on again.

I was hired at Amideast in good faith by a director who had an accurate sense of my teaching ability (which is pretty good, thank you). My work was off because I had some upsetting medical news while I was there, which obliged me to return to the US. The DOS did not want to fire me but basically had no choice. Regardless, the "independent contractor" agreement is basically worthless. And an attestation is not a substitute for a residence card. I was probably not "given" one because I already had one.

I still vote for ALC.
William Buchina

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Amideast: Rabat Reply with quote

Hi. I am new to this site, new to ESL and soon to be new to Rabat as I have just signed a contract with Amideast after an phone interview.

I am an American, just finished a 60 hour certification course and basically have close to no idea how to teach English, but I WANT to teach English so I will learn quickly. I have read these posts concerning legal status and salary with Amideast and am beginning to be nervous.

My contract states that I am to be paid 150 dirhams's per hour and will work 22-27 hours per week, 845 hrs per year. I was told I am not to pay Moroccan taxes and that being a US citizen, I am subject to US taxes and all that.

They did tell me quite up front that they do not help with flat finding, airfare and they offer some sort of insurance...for a cost.

Basically I am just hoping to get some feedback from all this, seeing as how I am experienced in several ways, but none of them are teaching English in Morocco or anywhere else.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

- W
William Buchina

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

...and i did not realize i was supposed to have a code name. i should get one.

w
moongoat

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever... If the students are happy with your work, they generally will not complain. If all the students complain, you are in trouble. Altruistic, cosmopolitan ideals aside, remember these are all for-profit ventures. I would not be overly alarmed by some perceived lack of adherence to American standards though: they don't apply here! So forget that. So don't be nervous. All that I heard about insurance was that it was not available to teachers, and that was that. True about the no help with airfare and housing though. Agdal is on the pricey side, but then you can walk to work. "Subject to US taxes" is rather open to interpretation: you will not receive a (US) W-2. This indicates that supplying your pay information to the Feds is your responsibility if you accept it. Actual hours worked/week, outside of class, is likely more. There are numerous non-class things to do, both in and out of the school. If you don't speak French (or Arabic), learn some. PM me for more info.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why a teacher at Amideast cannot, with an attestation de travail and proof of accomodation (a lease), get a carte de sejour. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to get one, but it's a far bigger pain in the ass not to get one - it's necessary for all of those pesky problems like opening a bank account & exchanging dirhams into real money.

Hey William ~ I hope your DOS hasn't read your comments about having no clue how to teach English ... although that might make for an interesting username.

Moongoat: Amideast now offers insurance (100% payable by contract employee) but unfortunately, for the most part, it's catastrophic rather than wellcare-based.
hooversmom

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Working legally in Morocco Reply with quote

From what I know, recent changes in the employment laws about getting a carte de sejour say that non-Moroccans need a government work contract that basically means there is no Moroccan citizen qualified for the job the non-Moroccan is in. This is fairly simple if the job posting required a native English speaker. I do not think an attestation de travail is adequate anymore.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How recent is this? I know of teachers who got their cartes de sejours with only an attestation within the past 5 months.
hooversmom

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fairly recent. The carte de sejour process also seems to depend on where in Morocco you are. Here in Meknes, a goverment contract is required.
steady

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the case in Rabat or Casablanca.
moongoat

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying for the first carte de s�jour was a royal hassle, but I am not sure how much this had to do with being in Meknes... The second, this time in Rabat, needed only the first card and a copy of the present contrat de bail for the address. Plus a 300dh stamp: good for 5 years! Jobs that explicitly require native English speakers seem to be above bureaucratic reproach (insha'llah).
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And now, a real-life Moroccan comes here asking a question.
What a shock to the system this must be for you Africaexpert � a Moroccan who�s not your boyfriend or a tour guide.

Not a shock at all - I have quite a few Moroccan friends on both sides of the Atlantic.

Quote:

Yes, they really do speak. Why don�t you answer his bloody question?

I have no problem answering his question. But first, answer me this: What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to make these attacks on people who disagree with you? I didn't hate Morocco and that is what you don't like about me. Grow up already.

Quote:

Just where is your affinity to that country? I�d say it�s gone, but you never had any in the first place.

Eight years in a place produces something of an affinity I suppose. I say you are wrong once again, as always in your ASSumptions regarding my affinities.

Quote:

I hated Morocco, but even I made more local friends than the likes of you ever did. Answer his question.

How would you even begin to know how many local friend I made and still have today? You don't even know me. You are clueless - admit it.
[/quote]
William Buchina

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internet arguments are absurdly stupid.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would you even begin to know how many local friend I made and still have today? You don't even know me. You are clueless - admit it.

Actually, I believe Hod knows you and you know Hod Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: