Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best employer in Morocco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert wrote:
I have no problem answering his question. But first, answer me this: What is your problem?

OK, me first. I'm an alcoholic, not serious mind, just at xmas and boxing day.

Now your turn - are you gonna answer his question or what?
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
Actually, I believe Hod knows you and you know Hod Smile

Hey, Africasexpert, do you know this guy, or is he on here just to run amok?
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was your alter-ego, Hod.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's just a muck.
bflo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: ALC Agadir Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been reading the posts for quite some time. I have just been offered a teaching position for the upcoming year in Agadir at the ALC. Is anyone familiar with the ALC in Agadir or does anyone know someone who has taught there? I know that Agadir is a resort/tour package town, what is the cost of living like? I have been offered 7500 dh takehome per month. I know there's been some argument on the various message threads regarding what an adequate salary is in Morocco, but I'm pretty sure (unless the cost of living has increased dramatically since I was there in 2000?) I will be able to live on this (I don't mind living like a student). Any information anyone is willing to share would be very appreciated.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to pick up some tutoring on the side, but Agadir is a pretty small town where as long as you don't want to live like a tourist you should be able to get by fairly cheaply.
You might be able to get some gigs teaching at hotels.
bflo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: ALC Agadir Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, Africaexpert. Regarding the living like a tourist comment you made, on 7500 dh per month, will I be able to afford traveling within Morocco? While I don't mind living in the tourist town, I certainly don't want to be stuck there all the time!
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel like a Moroccan you should be fine. By that I mean use the buses, grand taxis, etc. I bet you will probably pick up more work though. That $7,500 is for about 20/hours per week teaching time right?
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7500 Dhm??????? In Agadir? I think that is a ridiculous salary. Please, I know Agadir from working visits when I lived in Morocco, that is a very poor salary for an expat, and, in my opinion, one would be silly to accept it. Try 20,000 Dhm, for an expensive tourist spot like Agadir.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert wrote:
If you travel like a Moroccan you should be fine. By that I mean use the buses, grand taxis, etc. I bet you will probably pick up more work though. That $7,500 is for about 20/hours per week teaching time right?

I'm sorry. I don't wish to be some web stalker sort, but this person's Maroc life was driving around inside her car to avoid wolf whistles and other such hassles. Now she's telling others to play sardines in a grand taxi and be the only whitey on the bus.
bflo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's words are much appreciated. I am certain I'll be able to pick up some tutoring at hotels here and there. I've been to Morocco before and spent 3 months traveling via bus and it's doable, and I'm not looking to live in Morocco as if I am still living in the States. What, then, would be the point of being in Morocco? While 7500 dh is prob a rather low payscale, I don't have any experience, save for teaching as a graduate assistant and some teaching of creative writing to children. Not to mention, I've managed to live on the USD equivalent here in Buffalo!! I have a masters in anthropology, intermediate knowledge of arabic, some familiarity with moroccan arabic, and will be taking an ESL certification course in August; the director of the school offered me the job because she liked my tangential background (not because I have a ton of teaching experience), so I feel like I'm being given an opportunity that I don't want to pass up. I've accepted the position and I'm really excited! Thanks for your feedback!
steady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you didn't really want any feedback or advice, did you?
bflo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and looking at all of the threads regarding Morocco, so I know people's responses to questions posed run the gamut. And, in the end, I'm going to make my own decision, and that's the story.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod, don't be silly. You don't seriously expect him to be able to afford a car on $7,500 DH per month?
TwinCentre, of course he won't be living in hotels when he lives in Agadir. Longer term rentals are much cheaper than hotels for expats. I seriously doubt any ESL teacher in Agadir makes $20,000DH/month. Even the director probably doesn't.

I would think with his education he could have negotiated at least $10-12,000 DH/month. Certainly he would have been offered more had he been hired in Rabat or Casa.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africa Wannabe....Have you worked in Agadir in any capacity? Anyone on much less than 20k, anywhere in Morocco must be 'doing if for the experience'. I mean, 20k IS only 1800/1900 Euros?

Another poster and I worked in Casa on just under that figure gross and around 18k net, if I remember well, as we were only taxed on the Morrocan part of our salary...allowed for a reasonable laugh, which one needs in a place like Casa, i.e. enough money to goto Spain every weekend.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: