Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

student visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picnic01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: student visa Reply with quote

Hey y'all! I was looking to travel to Brazil and teach for awhile. I was curious to ask those that managed to secure student visas, how they went about that. I know almost no portuguese but am studying it starting today! I was also considering IICA, but would rather chose where I go. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
-Nick
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: student visa Reply with quote

picnic01 wrote:
Hey y'all! I was looking to travel to Brazil and teach for awhile. I was curious to ask those that managed to secure student visas, how they went about that. I know almost no portuguese but am studying it starting today! I was also considering IICA, but would rather chose where I go. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
-Nick

Re: the student visa process, you might get an informative response at www.gringoes.com or even find a thread there.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Student Visa Reply with quote

I can briefly describe my experience about 5 years ago getting a studnet visa:

I contacted a university in Brazil - I wanted to study Portuguese so most large universitites in Brazil have a "portugues para estrangeiros" program. They are ususally always happy to accept foreigners from overseas. You apply to the program and pay the course fees. They will send you a document which states that you are officially enrolled in the program.

You then need to take this document along with numerous others (letter from your bank showing how much money you have, criminal record check, I had to have a letter from my employer I think, etc.) and you take these all to the Brazilian consulate in the country of which you are a resident. The total process took about a month.

The student visa is good for one year and I believe you can renew it again for another year but Im not sure about this as I changed my status before I needed to.

Google the Brazilian embassy/consulate in the country you are a resident of and they should explain the process and all the documents that are needed.
picnic01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info friends. If you don't mind sharing icehockey, how much did it cost for the course, and which university did you attend. Thanks again!
icehockey23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Cost of course Reply with quote

Hello Picnic

I went to UFPR (Universidade Federal do Parana) in Curitiba.

It was a while back so I cant remember exactly but in dollar terms it was probably around 300 or 400 US dollars for the whole year. Probably more expensive now. If you are interested in UFPR, here is the link but it will all be in Portuguese.

http://www.celin.ufpr.br/principal/ufpr-celin-portugues-estrangeiros.html

Most Universities in Brazil offer such a program. The ironic thing is that it is hard to google them if you dont speak Portuguese because there will be little info in English.

There are some private schools that also offer courses to foreigners with info in English:

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/study/language/brazil_language_schools.shtml

I am not sure if such courses are eligible for a student visa though.
picnic01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's very helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: