Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Australia: Qualifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslstudies

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Working in Australia: Qualifications Reply with quote

As this question is often asked, here is a cut and paste of what you need to get an ESL job with an AMEP [Australian Migrant Education Program] provider.
You'll find that ELICOS [ English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students], generally offered within a tertiary setting, is similar, though the government required record keeping doesn't apply.
Jobs in these areas, and in general English Colleges, can often be found on www.careerone.com.au using ESL as a search term.
Experience of living and working in a non-English speaking country is highly regarded as well.

Quote:
QUALIFICATIONS - ESL TEACHERS

Teachers must have a recognised undergraduate degree or diploma and a recognised postgraduate TESOL qualification.

A recognised undergraduate degree or diploma is a formal qualification awarded by an Australian university or tertiary institution, or its overseas equivalent.

It may be:

� A Bachelor degree

� An Advanced Diploma

� A Diploma

provided that it is at least three years full-time in length, or its part-time equivalent.

A recognised postgraduate TESOL qualification must result from a course of study having at least the following characteristics:

(i) content focus on English language, language learning and TESOL methodology

(ii) a practical component including at least sixty (60) hours of supervised and assessed practice teaching in TESOL and

(iii) no less than one hundred (100) contact hours in total devoted to (i) above, or the equivalent in distance education programs.

Courses in this category are usually at Master, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma level and have an undergraduate degree or equivalent as a normal entrance criterion.

NOTE: A Bachelor of Education or equivalent which includes TESOL methodology as a major strand will be deemed to satisfy the requirement for both an initial degree and a postgraduate TESOL qualification.

JOB AND PERSON SPECIFICATION � ESL Teacher / Trainer

Responsibilities include the following:

1. Preparing a program, based on the curriculum provided, that meets the language level, needs and goals of participating students. This is to be handed in on course completion.

2. Conducting classes at the stipulated times.

3. Demonstrating an empathy towards all students.

4. Providing students with time before or after class to discuss individual matters, etc.

5. Establishing students� language and career goals at course commencement and working with them to achieve their goals. This may include providing educational and vocational counselling.

6. Cooperating with colleagues through informal exchange of information, ideas, resources, etc. to ensure efficiency and a consistent approach.

7. Filing of teaching resources for other teachers to access.

8. Maintaining student records and files as directed.

9. Maintaining daily attendance records signed by students. Completing weekly attendance reports and handing them into the front office on the last day of each teaching week. These are recorded on ARMS [AMEP] and VETTRAK [LLNP] for government reporting purposes.

10. Supporting Jobseekers by encouraging them to actively job search during the program to maximise their opportunities to gain employment. (CSWE II and above) Work experience is also available.

11. Completing end of course records which provide evidence of English language gains, (portfolios) details and evidence of modules/learning outcomes achieved, work experience reports (where applicable) and an overview of the students general progress, ability and career path. (Mid-point consultation record)

12. Providing the Data Manager with details of modules/learning outcomes achieved and certificates to be awarded each term.

13. Attending weekly staff meetings and staff development sessions as required.

14. Carrying out other relevant duties as timetabled.

15. Keeping confidential all matters relating to students.
austeacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Teaching ESL in Australia Reply with quote

ESL studies has pointed out some accurate info on requirements to work in Australia. But to be more specific you must hold a Graduate Diploma in TESOL to teach the AMEP or the AMES program. Any Teaching certificate in ESL will not be considered by educational providers delivering the AMEP or the CSWE, unless of course you have post grad qualifications in an English method at secondary level.

I have also discovered that one can teach the IB program with a Grad Dip in TESOL. Afterall one would be teaching a method in an international environment. So it is no surprise that a Grad Dip in TESOL is applicable to the IB curriculum. There are no pre-conditions to teach the IB but some understanding of the curriculum will help. It is essentially a case of being offered a job teaching the IB in English so one can develop the experience. I have had this confirmed by 'Cumburri.org'

Cumburri act as conduits for International Schools needing teachers. This is not a sales pitch. Mavis Wilcox and her partner who operate the program for semi-recruitment and consultation are very helpfull people; and will bend over backwards to provide any info you need about requirements and conditions for working at International schools.
mgs2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this useful post. So it seems the requirements with an AMES provider are quiet strict. I for example have only completed 2 years of my 4 year university degree, as I'm only 20, I also have a TESOL and a few months teaching experience in Vietnam.

I'm sure there are many people in my situation, who may have a TESOL but have not completed a university degree. Can someone help fill me in, are there any opportunities to work in Australia if you are someone have my circumstance, who has not yet completed a university degree?
austeacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: none Reply with quote

Quote: Thanks for this useful post. So it seems the requirements with an AMES provider are quiet strict. I for example have only completed 2 years of my 4 year university degree, as I'm only 20, I also have a TESOL and a few months teaching experience in Vietnam.

A.M.E.S won't look at you if you do not have the prerequisite Undergraduate qualifications. They won't look at you if you have "any type of ESL certificate". I mean "any". You "Must" have an Undergraduate degree in any subject and a Graduate Diploma in TESOL. You need an Undergraduate degree in almost all teaching situations, the exception is that if you do have undergrad studies and any ESL certificate, then most language centers will hire you. But to teach the AMEP and CSWE curriculum you "must" have a Grad Dip in TESOL.

Quote: I'm sure there are many people in my situation, who may have a TESOL but have not completed a university degree. Can someone help fill me in, are there any opportunities to work in Australia if you are someone have my circumstance, who has not yet completed a university degree?[/quote]

Finish your undergraduate degree, it will stand you in good stead and then you can go on and do PD or even a proper teaching qualification.

I am waiting for the day the VIT and other educational examination and auditing bodies, Australia wide, recognise a Grad Dip in TESOL as a benchmark ESL teaching qualification for all ESL related contexts. Government schools included. Though the cows might die from malnutrition on their way home before that happens.
mgs2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I found it very valuable. I have a few more questions, what exactly is the difference between a 4 week TESOL certificate (which includes at least 100 hours and observed teaching practice) and a Grad. Dip. in TESOL.

So I understand that to work at an AMES or NEAS accredited school that you must have a undergrad degree. So are there any other language centres in Sydney that are not accreditied by AMES or NEAS where someone in my situation can work? Basically my question is, if you have a TESOL and no degree are there any places you can teaching in Australia?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgs, it says degree or equivalent. This could be some kind of diploma plus an amount of experience. What did you do before you did TESOL, and for how long?

Also, at NEAS accredited centres, they can have something like 5% of staff without the requisite qualifications and experience. This is usually used in peak times, when they have too much work and not enought teachers and can't afford to be picky.

You could get a job at a school that is not NEAS accredited. I've only worked at NEAS accredited schools, so I'm not sure what non-accredited ones would be like.

Good luck!
austeacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Technical mammal adviser Reply with quote

Mgs2.

If you want information quoted directly from auditing authorities, contact N.E.A.S in Sydney. You could also contact A.M.E.S in NSW or Victoria. They have branches in most suburbs. They will explicitly explain what you need to do to work at a Government accredited institution. I do not mean a CRICOS accredited institution either. I mean a real Teaching and learning institution as opposed to "Bob Brown's corner shop ESL center".

Idea Google both the entries: NEAS and AMES.
Idea Read ESL studies OP. It appears he/she has an M.A in TESOL according to the info they have provided.
mgs2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am only twenty years old, so prior to TESOL I simply completed 2 years of my university degree and before that I was in school. I think it appears I do not meet AMES or NEAS requirements.

I'm curious of the point the last two posters make, what are the opportunities to work at non-AMES/NEAS endorsed language centres?
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgs2 wrote:
I'm curious of the point the last two posters make, what are the opportunities to work at non-AMES/NEAS endorsed language centres?

That depends on where you are. Why not start a new thread, stating your needs and desires, and see what you get? People might not look here in the sticky.
austeacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Finish your degree Reply with quote

Mgs2,

Finish your degree. All qualified teachers will tell you the same thing if you would like to become a recognised teacher. No more to add but finish your degree.
mgs2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am based in Sydney, so I'm interested in language centres in Sydney, particularly the inner Sydney. I am a full time university student looking to teach part time. When I finish my degree I will pursue a different career. So I am only looking to teach part time while I am also studying. I hope this clarifies my situation. That's why I am particularly interested to know if there are any opporunities to work if I do not yet have a degree?
lozwich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Sydney, why not pull out the Yellow Pages and start calling people?

The easiest way to find out is to ask.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CELTA, 4 years teaching experience, but have only completed two years of an IT degree long ago. This year I became the DOS of a large language school in Poland, however I'd like to move back to Melbourne to start studying a new degree and hopefully teach on the side.

Any idea if I have any chance of getting a job at any school in Melbs in this branch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: