Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MCBS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shebab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: MCBS Reply with quote

Anyone have any info on the Modern College of Business and Science, in Muscat? Their website seems very professional and their admin very attentive, but no one has posted a thing about them here!

Thanks,
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCBS is a small private college in Al-Khuwair which started out with a partnership with the University of Missouri in St Louis. Originally the first two years were done in Oman and then the students finished the degree in St Louis. Through the years, they have added third year and fourth year courses. They still work closely with UMSL, but have also added partnerships with other institutions. Most of their majors are business or computer related.

I taught there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Their students are an interesting mixture of Omanis and expatriate kids with a large range of English skills from low beginning to native speakers. Its small size allows a very informal environment and nice people to work with.

The main drawback, just as with all these small private colleges is that the pay is quite low by Gulf standards.

VS
shebab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, VS! The Dean has been very helpful and email response time to my queries has been even faster than what I've experienced here in the States!

Another drawback besides the pay is that bringing cats into Oman seems just slightly more complicated than bringing them into UAE or other Gulf countries. But the school is willing to help me with this if I join up.

As for the salary, it seems to be around 800 OR, the going rate in Oman. And while pay might be lower per month compared to the UAE, I would imagine that one might save more by making this a long-term stay if he or she felt content and satisfied with the admin and the students, as you seemed to be, rather than back out after a year or two of well-paid hell in the UAE.

I myself experienced the latter, and I have no desire to have to pack my cargo and go through all that exit visa nonsense, only to watch my newfound savings disappear after 4 months in the States without work!
shebab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I forgot to ask...what kind of accomodation did you have when you were there? They are only offering a one-bedroom furnished apartment, although I have a choice of where to live. I have never had less than a two bedroom before in the Gulf, so I was wondering how this works out in Muscat.

I am waiting for all the doom and gloom posters to give their two cents on this one! Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid that I can't help you with the cat problem, I'll leave that to them. Smile

I was originally given a two bedroom flat, but there were problems with it and they agreed to let me find a place within their housing budget amount and that is what I did. I found a nice roomy one-bedroom in a great location and was more than happy with it. But, I had lived in Oman before.

If you want to ask more specific questions, feel free to PM. I'll be glad to help.

VS
tiger_down_under

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider flying to Dubai and then taking the 4 hour drive to Muscat just to to get your cat through...I'm guessing they wouldn't stop a cat at the land border? Just a thought.
shebab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tiger, for the suggestion...I actually thought about doing that, but it would be a logistical nightmare....in any case, they seem to have already sorted out the paperwork, so I should be good to go!
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if it's the norm in Oman to have your visa processed before ever seeing the contract? I was under the assumption that mine was being sent to me as I was forwarding my documents, but now I am told that they (MCBS) won't be sending it until my documents are in order. Seems rather dodgy, no?

Help!
Monkey Girl Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeygirl,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Contracts are pretty standard in Oman. (much of it is controlled by the Ministry rules) As ME employers go, MCBS is pretty good.

Send me a PM if you would like more specific information. I could dig my old one out of my files -- I doubt that much has changed.

VS
stabnkill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not the best paying, MCBS may just be one of the best employers in Oman.

Last edited by stabnkill on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very reassuring; thanks vs & stabnkill!

but, alas, still no contract and leaving on holidays in one week...

monkeygirl Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Girl

I know that the English HOD is on summer leave. Have you emailed the Dean? I don't know if he is traveling or not.

Personally I didn't see the contract until after I got there, and really can't recall any of my Middle East jobs where I actually did. The contracts themselves, other than the amount of pay, are pretty much set by government rules in Oman.

Have you received anything else? All I normally had was a letter (email) stating pay and benefits - and the employer had arranged the ticket and visa. I never found seeing and signing the contract until after arrival as any problem. (I have always stuck to employers that I knew were trustworthy)

I guess I'm either brave or foolish. Smile When I arrived in Abu Dhabi to teach at HCT, I didn't have a visa or even a letter from them - everything had been done over the telephone - and I just hoped that someone would be there to meet me. They were.

VS
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, vs. Smile

i guess i'll just have to wait...

i have to admit that i was getting a little paranoid; it just seemed as tho' both the dean and the hod were skirting my requests for a copy.

this is my first time to the m.e., so i'm a tad nervous (but very excited, too!).

monkeygirl
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Girl

MCBS hasn't hired large numbers of teachers from outside Oman or the Middle East. It might perhaps be a good idea to 'nicely' mention to them that this issue did make you nervous about coming.

Part of the problem in these small colleges is that they don't have a 'Human Resources' dept or whatever they are called these days. Nor is there even one person whose job it is to handle the paperwork. It ends up being done by someone in the office who has other duties. Don't quote me - but I suspect that follow-ups and set procedures are probably lacking. Smile Of course, the smallness is also a good thing because you have easy access and communication with everyone - rather than a large place like HCT where you never meet or see the people off somewhere who have so much control over your life.

Good Luck, be sure to pack your patience and sense of humor. I think you will find Oman an interesting and usually quite enjoyable experience.

VS
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks (again) vs,

i have been in contact in the dean directly & he has been quite frank with me, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to mention that i was a little ill at ease with the no contract thing.

i'm really looking forward to the change!

cross your fingers for me. Very Happy

monkeygirl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: