Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1) Sur 2)Hay Al Sharooq Int. School 3) Omani Int. Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: 1) Sur 2)Hay Al Sharooq Int. School 3) Omani Int. Schools Reply with quote

Hi

I have been contacted by Hay Al Sharooq International School

I would welcome any comments about

a) This school, Muscat Int School and general info on what is/isn't a good international school in Oman.

b) The best working environment for an ESl teacher in Oman

c)Life in Sur, where the school is located (is it total gender segregation?)

d)Allowing for a modest standard of living, with no perks except the costs of good satellite TV and wireless wifi- about what percentage of a tax-free salary could actually be saved, if you're being careful with your money

Thanks
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily save the majority of your monthly paycheck in Sur and towns in the interior, especially if you're just going to stay in most nights and watch TV or surf the internet.

Muscat is more expensive, especially rents. Some intl schools provide housing, though. They should let you know this when you have an interview. If not; ask.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards the interior town-little else to do but stay in and watch tv/ surf the internet.......BBQ chicken under the stars can get tedious pretty quickly!
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Cheers Tazz, Madrileno Reply with quote

Thanks for your help....

But I am still quite keen to find out if anyone knows anything about Hay Al Sharooq International School
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cheers Tazz, Madrileno Reply with quote

WHIRLPOOL wrote:
But I am still quite keen to find out if anyone knows anything about Hay Al Sharooq International School

You're not likely to get much in the way of responses on this forum; pretty much all of the posters teach EFL in Oman's colleges and universities. Check out International Schools Review instead.
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Stupid Newbie! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back!
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are being careful with your money, you may live in Oman provinces very cheap [ I reckon in Muscat as well as the Asian labour is there in large numbers]. If you do not mind elements of Asian labour life-style in your own life-style, then it is incredibly cheap when it comes to food, shopping, shared taxis, Bengali/Paki restaurants etc [ the target customer of these places is a worker who will spend just 1 OR daily on ALL his meals, sticky karak tea included instead of sweets ]. Oman has a very low board-logding deck for the Asian labour, on which deck people live for no more than some 30-50 OR monthly. If you do not mind certain number - smaller, bigger or very big - of life-style elements from this Asian deck grafted onto your life, then you can spend little and still live basically well.

Cost of TV or wifi I don't know as I never used it - I think wifi can be purchased monthly for some 25 OR, then it is a stick or something to a stick-effect, but I don't know.

Perhaps somebody esle will answer your questions re wifi and tv.

balqis
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Nizwa is also worth trying?
They have Indian and Pakistani schools there, which might be considered international to a degree, as there is a growing population of foreigners in Nizwa, due to tertiary education institutions and business investement in the town. The town itself is very interesting, and the life there would be much cheaper than in Muscat, and only an hour's drive away from Muscat.

balqis
WHIRLPOOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both Newbie and Balqis for your thoughts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: