Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visas and jobs in the new year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: visas and jobs in the new year Reply with quote

hi everyone
bit quiet round here lately eh? Sad

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have experience of getting their visa (mine is going to be a 3 month business type) from the London consulate? How tricky is it and how long does it take? I should have my visa invitation by 8th Sept and my flight is booked for the 27th. Is this OK do you think? Do I have to arrive at a particular time to beat the queues? (that type of thing)

2. I've just finished my Trinity TESOL course today ( Very Happy ). Between Oct and Dec I'll be doing the volunteer teaching thing in Izhevsk (Svezhy Veter). What's my chances of being able to arrange a job somewhere in Russia starting in January? Is the market totally dead at that point?

thanks to everyone here and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when I'm getting drunk after the course moderation Laughing
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: hey there ! Reply with quote

Privyet waxwing:

Speaking of visas - I'm flying to Tallinn, Estonia myself on September 3rd for a new visa. They have changed the rules a bit - even legitimate business visas are valid only up to one year. After you've been in the country for one year, you have to make a visa run - i.e., leave and come back with a new visa.

Oh well ... never been to Estonia. Mr. Green

As for question #1: You have plenty of time to get your visa squared away. Although I've never been to the Russian Consulate in London, they all operate basically the same way. The faster you want your visa, the more you pay. i.e., you can get same-day express service or next-day service ... if you are willing to pay extra for it.

If you get your invitation on the 8th and you are flying to Russia on the 27th, tell them to take their time. You'll save about $50 by giving them one week to process it.

What to bring to the consulate? In addition to your passport, letter-of-invitation and 3 passport-sized photos, you may also be requested to present an HIV blood test. Hopefully negative. Razz This is another small change from years past ... when this was not required. I've been told that the HIV test applies only to business visas - not tourist visas.

Regarding question #2: Yes, of course you can find EFL employment in January. It's true that most schools like to hire for September & October starts, but this is NOT a black & white thing. Schools hire based on enrollment.

If business is good and students are signing up for new courses, schools will hire new teachers at any time of the year. The only really 'dead' months of the year in terms of hiring are June, July and August, when many Russians take month-long holidays at their dachas or the seaside.

So, good luck and don't worry Exclamation The classroom experience you gain in Izhevsk will look good on your resume' ... and I think you'll have a blast.

See you in Moscow on December 31st for New Year's? Very Happy

Best wishes,
keNt
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kent. Helpful as ever.

That HIV thing .. ugh Sad .. but thanks for telling me I'll check it out.

31st December ? yeah that'd be nice Smile
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule concerning HIV tests is that you must have one if you stay longer than three months in Russia (I guess they figure everybody in Russia will have been laid or taken IV drugs by the fourth month Rolling Eyes ). This means that you don't need it to enter the country but if you stay longer than three months, you need to show proof of a negative HIV test when you leave the country. I don't know what they do if you don't have this proof.

As it happened, since I left Russia by train to Ukraine, I didn't even go through Russian customs when I left! I got the test all for nothing. Mad
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: hi guys Reply with quote

Howdy Buck:

Long time no see. Very Happy

fyi: Just 3 weeks ago we had a new teacher arrive here in Samara, and he was told that he needed to present an HIV test to the Consulate in Estonia BEFORE he could enter Russia. He was applying for a single entry, 3-month business visa, by the way. And he holds an EU passport ... not that this should make a big difference.

I was a bit shocked, since I've been in Russia for over 2 years now and never needed one ... so I had our school Director call the Russian Consulate in Estonia to double check. On the telephone, they confirmed that the HIV test is now a prerequisite for granting of business visas, although you never know if this was a fluke at just one consulate, or a new rule that will be applied at all consulates.

To be on the safe side, it's probably a good idea for waxwing to go ahead and get the blood test done in advance ... even though I agree that he might not need it. Besides, it's just a pin-p.r.i.c.k. Razz

Waxwing: You can do us all a big favor by coming back here and updating us on your visa-experience. Are the Estonians nuts, or is this a new regulation we all need to be aware of?

And of course I'm serious about New Year's Eve on Red Square. I already have a deluxe suite reserved at the Alpha Hotel. Mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice ...

Have a nice weekend Exclamation

Warm wishes,
keNt
Zolushka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ALWAYS long queues at the Russian Consulate in London. If you don't fancy standing in line, then pay visa agencies to do it for you. Russian Visa Direct on Chepstow Road has 3 shifts of people queuing for their clients. 35GBP for next day service and 50GBP for same day service, in addition to your consulate fees. If you are applying for a multiple-entry 12-month long business visa, then you will need a letter from your sponsor saying why you are being 'invited' to Russia. As for HIV test, it might be cheaper if you go to Red Cross. They need to do a blood test on you, if you want to become a blood donor. Hence, no funny questions from your doctor Laughing and no fees to pay Razz !

For those coming from Spain, make sure you have health insurance as well. Tallin and Helsinki are the easiest places for 'visa runs'. Riga is also popular! Make sure you know how to fill in the application form in Russian if you are going to Tallin. If you don't know Russian, get someone to help you BEFORE you go. Consulates in the US have the highest consulate fees around.

Anyway, your employer should find out these things on your behalf! After all, it's a learning curve for them as well.
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my information from the Russian Consulate in Tokyo in December, 2001. They may have tightened standards since then. It is possible that different consulates interpret the law differently. Of course you are right Kent, better to be safe and get the test before you go.

God I wish I could be with you in Red Square on New Years! Crying or Very sad

Buck
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: go for it ! ! ! Reply with quote

Hi Buck:

I love how I manage to turn every thread into a rant about celebrating New Year's on Red Square. Very Happy

But seriously ... if you do manage to get yourself to Moscow on December 31st, I will put you up in a very nice room at the Alpha on that night. And that goes for any other 'out-of-town' EFL teachers who show up on the 31st.

I had so much fun last year, I feel the need to share the experience with others. Mr. Green

HoHoHo,
keNt
Zolushka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More male bonding?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Bonding. James Bonding. Reply with quote

Hello Zolushka:

Actually, I was hoping for some female bonding, but I will accept males in the spirit of TEFL comaraderie. Very Happy

Best wishes,
kEnt
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update... i got my visa ok in London Cool . It was a 3 month double-entry (not multiple) and I didn't need an HIV thing.
I used the 'Russia House' agency and they were very professional. Their fee (60 pounds sterling) was fairly high though.

In the course of my investigation I found that the information detailed at www.rusemblon.org was right on the money.

hope it helps someone and poka!
Very Happy
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Spasibo waxwing ! Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, waxwing. Looks like the HIV thing is hit-or-miss ... or maybe I just look like a promiscuous homo or an IV drug user? Laughing
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is that but also... Wink

for a 3 month double entry it isn't required, iirc, according to the london consulate. I did try to look up the detailed info on that website, but it seems to be down/screwed up.

now what intrigues me is .. what if i just keep getting 3 month visas, one after the other? i could be spreading AIDS quite merrily. Bureaucracy is so ridiculous.
Zolushka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to queue at the Russian Consulate in London, it might be better to use Visa to Russia Direct. They charge 40GBP, plus consulate fees for getting your Russian visas. They have been in the business for years and definitely know what they are doing - they have 3 shifts of 'professionals' queuing each working day! You can contact them by e-mail at [email protected].
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zdravstvuytye guys,
just a quick update to let you know I made it to Izhevsk after some adventures..
actually you can see a few of the pictures I've taken at photos.yahoo.com/ekagatta (folder called Russia1).
I think I'm going to really enjoy it here (although admittedly the winter hasn't decided to kick off yet Wink )

By the way, if anybody knows of any interesting teaching positions in Russia starting in the new year, let me know, 'cos i need to start searching soon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: