Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where is good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
malibubarbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: where is good? Reply with quote

I've been asked to specify on a job application form (for EEC) where i would like to be based. My choices are: Osaka, Tokyo, Kyushu and Nagoya. I like big cities, but would be happy to live somewhere smaller if there were significant diversions- theatres, films, decent japanese food etc. is the cost of living materially cheaper in the smaller places- ie will going somewhere other than Tokyo make for a more comfortable lifestyle?also, if anyone has any information on ECC, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks very much

ELizabeth (or malibubarbie if you insist)
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

Living in a small town and having the same "diversions" as a big city is almost like having your cake and eating it, too. I realize you wrote "smaller" not "small" town, but if your prospective employer has only a limited selection of cities, you can't really do much about that. Research each one and choose whichever seems to suit you.

To help us help you in making a decision, please tell us some background on you, and what interests you and what doesn't. You've made a good starting point, but it's so general that it's hard to help you fill in the gaps.

By the way, you're going to find "decent Japanese food" pretty much anywhere in Japan. Many places have their regional delicacies, of course. Bear in mind, too, that the further south you go, not only will the weather be hotter, but you'll face the brunt of the spring and fall typhoons more severely.
malibubarbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re.interests, one of the main reasons i'd like to go to japan is (cliche permitting)! to experience japanese culture. i'd like to try some marital arts, enjoy going to art galleries, historical sites and sights, would like to learn some japanese etc. are any of the cities i mentioned near the famous japanese countryside- don't mean to sound imbecilic, but i'm pretty new to japan.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: more Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

Yes, your answer sounds cliche, but in the right light, that's ok.

However, you mentioned nothing about teaching or making money. You can do everything you said (martial arts, museums, historical sights, etc.) as a tourist.

So, let me prod you a little further. (I realize you are new to this. Just trying to play Devil's Advocate. You'll get the same questions from an employer, and if you answer "to experience Japanese culture", you'll probably not be hired.)

What do you have to offer students?
Why teach? Why teach English?
Why teach English in Japan?
Do you want to teach children or adults?
How are you going to handle the isolation of being in Japan, let alone in small town Japan?

For what it's worth, I have some info on file that you may want to read before answering these questions, or before signing any contract. Send me an email if you are interested in my personal collections and compilations of things such as

Expenses
Groceries
Recommended books
Recommended web sites
Pluses and minuses of living in Japan
Advantages & disadvantages of job hunting from abroad vs. within Japan
Grammar in romaji form
Preparing to come to Japan
Comparing the Big Four and JET
A typical teacher's apartment (pictorial, 500K)
Teaching private lessons
The eikaiwa experience
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: malibubarbie and the marital arts Reply with quote

I liked the typo. MARITAL ARTS !!!

Freudian slip ? Be careful !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: