Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"No, I amn't"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck wrote:
Give you head a shake people.

Try sounding a little more patronising.

Quote:
So, by your theory, anything on the internet is a go. Rolling Eyes

Doesn't that sound more like your own MO, canuck?

Your first post on this thread was simply a posting of an Internet link with the proclamation "Google is great!"
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broman wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the junior high might be using older textbooks based on American English that show amn't as correct usage... or maybe an older teacher who doesn't want to let it go....
Well, I'm an old American, and I've never seen such a contraction, so it's VERY old. Moreover, two of us have already shown that it stems from Irish and Scot, not American English.

shiek wrote:
Quote:
Glenski mentioned a teacher who put in a trick question to prevent students getting one hundred percent in a test. I also find this unacceptable.
Want another anecdote? My HS biology teacher had 30 microscopes lined up for a practical exam on various tissues. Cheek cells. Parenchyma. Phloem. Xylem. Chloroplasts. Nuclei. That sort of thing. The last scope contained the trick. I hated it. I got all the others right. It was totally unfair of him to put a squashed mosquito fragment there when we had not studied it, and when it was absolutely indistinguishable. But, again I digress... (Besides, the guy was a heckuva teacher other than that one test.)

If one teaches students X, Y, and Z and tells them to study it for the test, but a student puts ancient W on the test for an answer, I would mark it wrong. It's ancient, unused, and not in the set of materials I told them to study. In other words, the student didn't give the answer from the set he was taught, so I don't know if he fully understands what I taught.
broman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points for Glenski and some other thoughts on the subject....

1) American English comes from the British Isles. "Ain't", a popular American contraction, began in London. Because an aspect of language originated somewhere else doesn't mean it hasn't been current in the US at some time.

2) In a previous post I indicated seeing the contraction in the work of novelist Raymond Chandler, who's about as Amercian as apple pie. The novel was from the 40s, way before my time and very likely before yours too.

3) Yes, I agree, some very old textbooks indeed. But, having worked in public education, I do not put it past possiblity for a school to be using textbooks from just after the occupation, or the other possiblity I mentioned, to have some wizened guru local junior high English teacher insisting on teaching it. After all, to someone outside the current usage, it is more correct grammatically to say, "I'm here, amn't I?" than "I'm here, aren't I?" The first is parallel construction of a tag in questioning which correctly duplicates the verb form of the first person, while the second, which we accept as correct, violates the rules of parallel construction and uses the second person verb form. So I could easily see how someone -- myself, for example -- as a native teacher of a foreign language might make such a mistake, in my sincere effort to teach the proper form of English to my students. Of course other possiblities exist as to why students are being taught this in junior high, if that's what happened. I'd be interested to find out exactly how it happened.

I have no argument about whether it should be marked wrong or not. If the teacher clearly has stated that the class is learning current standard American usage, and never taught "amn't" as standard usage, then wrong it is. However, as I have endeavored to show in a few posts, there's more to it than that. At bare minimum, students should have explained to them why what they learned before as correct is in fact not correct, with proper contexts applied. Otherwise, this sort of thing can have an undermining effect. Students are living, breathing human beings (awkward, isn't it?) not knowledge machines.

My best teachers have put across the notion that education isn't about right or wrong answers, but about a love of learning the subject and developing the ability to think critically. I agree. I'm not saying that right and wrong answers don't matter -- of course they do. But literal knowledge is only one level of teaching, and generally considered the lowest. There are many other levels. See http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html for learning domains in Bloom's taxonomy.
markle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This threads developed quite nicely. A little crispy, a little singed around the edges but overall quite a few points about where to draw lines on usage and how to mark accordingly.

Couple points. While I agree with the sentiment that we should be open to the possibility that student's can learn outside of our classroom and use that knowledge in a way that we have not taught. I think in this case it's pretty obvious that the student made a mistake in making a contraction, rather than picking up language points from Colin Farrell (could you pick a more unIrish Irishman?). Anyhow the contraction is used in question tags, so even if the student was channelling a Scot sheepshagger it was still wrong. It could also be argued that people that use the form are not exactly native speakers of English but were actually Gaelic speakers, which opens that whole can of worms regarding English usage norms in places like Singapore, Bombay, Johannesburg, Eaton College and New Zealand.
Sweeney Todd

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markle wrote:
so even if the student was channelling a Scot sheepshagger

Razz Razz Razz

Love it!!!!!
Sweeney Todd

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broman wrote:
who's about as Amercian as apple pie.

What on earth is so American about apple pie? Europeans had been making apple pies for centuries before the Pilgrim Fathers did us all a favour and set sail from Plymouth.

Or were you being ironic?
door3344

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markle wrote:
It could also be argued that people that use the form are not exactly native speakers of English but were actually Gaelic speakers, which opens that whole can of worms regarding English usage norms in places like Singapore, Bombay, Johannesburg, Eaton College and New Zealand.

So Kiwi's aren't native speakers of English? That's interesting. Maybe you can tell us what their native language is then because I lived there for a year and they seemed pretty fluent to me. Do you mean Eton College?

Also, Gaelic is a foreign language for the majority of Scots and has been for centuries if not millennium. They've been speaking some form of English as their native language for about as long as the English themselves; especially in the borders and the lowlands where there's been a lot of intermarriage, commerce, and periods of shared government between the two communities. Do some research on the kingdom of Northumbria if you want to know more about how entwined the Scottish and English are and how long English (and Anglo Saxon) has been spoken in Scotland.

Even in England itself there's significant regional variation in dialect, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Something said by a Yorkshireman may not be fully intelligible, or deemed to be "proper" English, by someone from Sussex.
canuck

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

door3344 wrote:
Even in England itself there's significant regional variation in dialect, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Something said by a Yorkshireman may not be fully intelligible, or deemed to be "proper" English, by someone from Sussex.

I have a coworker from England. The students have real hard time understanding him because of his accent and dirty pronunciation.

In Canada, on the CBC, I remember seeing a documentary about Oasis. They were giving an interview. Subtitles, in English, were provided for the viewers. Wink
Eva Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that it's best to teach students English that is real, in the sense that they will be able to use it in a real situation someday.

I have never felt the need to use amn't in a sentence in my life, I don't believe such an odd and outdated contraction has a place in anyone's general vocabulary today quite frankly.

Therefore I wouldn't want to teach it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broman wrote:
Quote:
A few points for Glenski and some other thoughts on the subject....

1) American English comes from the British Isles."Ain't", a popular American contraction, began in London. Because an aspect of language originated somewhere else doesn't mean it hasn't been current in the US at some time.
It still doesn't make it right on the test. Besides, I thought American English came from more than just English-speaking countries.

Quote:
2) In a previous post I indicated seeing the contraction in the work of novelist Raymond Chandler, who's about as Amercian as apple pie. The novel was from the 40s, way before my time and very likely before yours too.
Does that make Shakespearean English acceptable next? (P.S. Yes, Chandler wrote before my time, but I like his works anyway.)

Quote:
3) Yes, I agree, some very old textbooks indeed. But, having worked in public education, I do not put it past possiblity for a school to be using textbooks from just after the occupation, or the other possiblity I mentioned, to have some wizened guru local junior high English teacher insisting on teaching it.
I just finished working 4 years for a fairly prestigious private HS that has been using a text copyrighted in the mid-60s, so I can concur. Still doesn't mean we should accept what was taught so long ago, does it?

Quote:
After all, to someone outside the current usage, it is more correct grammatically to say, "I'm here, amn't I?" than "I'm here, aren't I?"
To someone who has experience in the public education sector, you ought to know that English is full of exceptions, and the use of aren't is one of them here. Please don't try to cloud the issue by describing seeming parallel usage when we have pretty much all agreed that the student chose something far outside the norm.

Quote:
Of course other possiblities exist as to why students are being taught this in junior high, if that's what happened. I'd be interested to find out exactly how it happened.
Something I alluded to in my proposed explanations, too.

Quote:
I have no argument about whether it should be marked wrong or not.
Good. Another point we agree on. However...

Quote:
... there's more to it than that. At bare minimum, students should have explained to them why what they learned before as correct is in fact not correct, with proper contexts applied. Otherwise, this sort of thing can have an undermining effect.
Students usually do not volunteer in class, and I have found that most will not challenge a teacher. Even in my old HS, tests were returned (and wasted a whole class day) to explain the answers and some common mistakes, and this gave students the opportunity to point out any mistakes in correcting as well as to ask questions about whether student answers could be accepted. Extremely few will do that, so the onus is on the teacher to get the reason out, and I doubt that most teachers would do that here. They tend to know a lot about the students' personal lives in and out of the school, but even if a teacher knew a student had lived in Ireland or Scotland, I don't think it is reasonable to expect teachers to realize that such a contraction could have stemmed from either country's dialect.

Quote:
My best teachers have put across the notion that education isn't about right or wrong answers, but about a love of learning the subject and developing the ability to think critically. I agree.
I'm all for the love of learning, but in Japan that's just not the norm. Students are often just regurgitating what they are taught (or what they might read in some text or reference book) pretty much for the sole purpose of passing those darned entrance exams (for HS and college). Does that reduce them to "learning machines"? It shouldn't, and I certainly don't try to put them in that position, but the system leads them down that path. That situation, plus the teacher-oriented system of educating makes it very difficult to induce a love of learning English in these students, and it not surprising to see things like amn't crop up from time to time. If it were me, I'd pull the student aside and in as friendly a manner as possible try to figure this one out for both our sakes, but I'd probably still mark it wrong. What I would do thereafter would depend on the situation.
JonnyB61

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="canuck"]

Quote:
I have a coworker from England. The students have real hard time understanding him because of his accent and dirty pronunciation.

Hmmmm, sounds like a Geordie. We all have trouble understanding them! Laughing

Quote:
In Canada, on the CBC, I remember seeing a documentary about Oasis. They were giving an interview. Subtitles, in English, were provided for the viewers. :wink

Liam Gallagher exaggerates his Mancunian accent. He seems to think it makes him sound exotic. It doesn't of, course, it just makes him sound retarded! Rolling Eyes
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another question Reply with quote

TK4Lakers wrote:
I have a question that was asked to me the other day:

What is the difference between
isn't
it's not

For example, "No, it isn't." and "No, it's not."

They are abbreviated differently.
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck wrote:
I have a coworker from England. The students have real [sic] hard time understanding him because of his accent and dirty [sic] pronunciation.

In Canada, on the CBC, I remember seeing a documentary about Oasis. They were giving an interview. Subtitles, in English, were provided for the viewers. Wink

Students in Japan often have more exposure to North American accents than British ones so it is unsurprising that they have trouble understanding an accent they are less familiar with. I am also from England and although my students usually understand what I say they get a little confused by my pronunciation of "can't".

As for needing subtitles to understand Oasis, this is just another case in which some of the viewers aren't familiar with accents outside of Butt-*beep* Ontario.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for needing subtitles to understand Oasis, this is just another case in which some of the viewers aren't familiar with accents outside of Butt-*beep* Ontario.
And, whenever I watch videos of movies from Ireland or Scotland, or even certain parts of England, I have a hard time understanding the English accents. Too bad they don't show English subtitles for such movies! Laughing

Example:
The Full Monty
kinshachi

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broman wrote:
What was acceptable usage in the 40s mayn't be any longer.

mayn't?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: