Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DD Dragon Shanghai
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertdust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They consider anyone over 30, well over the hill. Don't expect a reply.
Mr.Engrish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got the same deal here but with some minor changes...

My offer was for Zhuji city, and I cant find much info on that place Sad

I'm new to the whole China ESL scene and would love some help with the contract they sent. Can I post it here or can I send it to someone?
samhouston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertdust wrote:
They consider anyone over 30, well over the hill. Don't expect a reply.

Yeah, after a few days of no response, I sent them another email saying "hey guys, I'm 35, not 55!" accompanied by a picture of me with a very happy class of kids. It worked.

The head company prefers younger people and those new to China/ESL because they're easier to bludgeon into doing unsavory work like handing out fliers while broiling in the summer heat and doing lots of demos, also while broiling in the summer heat. And noobs are more likely to not ask important questions like how many days off a week, etc.

ONE day off, regardless of what they tell you. Those 25 hours won't fit into five days. Tues.-Fri. (4days x 2 classes x 90mins.) = 12 hours. Sat and Sun (2days x 4 classes x 90mins.) = 12 hours. Total 24.

In the ads they talk about overtime. I wasn't offered any when I was there, not that I would have wanted it. But it could be another trick, like mandatory extra classes during the morning or afternoon, depending on the local boss's lust for RMB. I guess maybe that's only during summer.
Gonzofiend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I'm 41, which isn't really that old, but it sounds too old for them. I don't mind doing grunt work (trust me, I've done worse, try changing adult men's diapers while they beat the tar out of you, for 9.50 an hour.) I really want to do this but my options are somewhat limited by only having a two year degree and no TEFL. I do have over two years of experience working in education though, mostly in Afterschool Programs. Before anyone jumps down my throat (I have read the forum on the Degree issue- Laughing ) that is the main reason I want to work with the littler kids, as I have a lot of experience working with the very young (Elementary School) as opposed to teenagers or adults.

I guess I have more research to do. Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Gonzo
westbrook1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD advertises jobs (currently) saying no experience or certificate is required, but I thought Chinese law now says that you need to have experience to come and teach English. Can someone shed light? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: