Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible to transfer z-visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barashkov1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Possible to transfer z-visa Reply with quote

I'm currently working for one school who are trying to get me a z-visa ... it has taken them a long time so I'm starting to wonder if they actually are going to get it for me.
But I was just thinking if they do actually get it BUT I decide that I want to change job next semester is it possible to transfer the z-visa they get me to another school or will my z-visa be cancelled then I have to get another one? ... And if my z-visa were cancelled is it possible to get another one? (I would think the visa office would hesitate to give me a second z-visa within a couple of months).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to transfer z-visa Reply with quote

barashkov1 wrote:
I'm currently working for one school who are trying to get me a z-visa ... it has taken them a long time

how long have they been trying?

and how long have you been working for them?
barashkov1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to transfer z-visa Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
barashkov1 wrote:
I'm currently working for one school who are trying to get me a z-visa ... it has taken them a long time

how long have they been trying?

and how long have you been working for them?

They have been trying and I have been working for them since the end of March.
dog backwards

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z visa is canceled as soon as you enter China. What you are waiting for is a residence permit.

Which visa did you enter China on?
Mister Al

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employer can't get you a Z visa. They can, if they have the legal right or necessary connections get you the paper work so that you can leave the country (HK?) and apply for a Z visa. And no, if you get one it cannot be transferred. A Z visa is only valid for 30 days after you enter the country on it.
barashkov1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dog backwards wrote:
The Z visa is canceled as soon as you enter China. What you are waiting for is a residence permit.

Which visa did you enter China on?

I came to China on an L-Visa. I am on my third L-visa.
barashkov1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Al wrote:
The employer can't get you a Z visa. They can, if they have the legal right or necessary connections get you the paper work so that you can leave the country (HK?) and apply for a Z visa. And no, if you get one it cannot be transferred. A Z visa is only valid for 30 days after you enter the country on it.

Yes, I mean if they get me the paperwork so that I can get it in HK.
A Z-visa is valid for 30 days?
I thought the L-visa was valid for 30 days, the F-visa for 90 days and Z-visa valid for a year?
Mister Al

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L and F visas can be longer than 30/90 days and F visas often include stipulations about the length of each stay etc. The Z visa is only valid for 30 days after entry. Within that time frame you need to get a medical and new paperwork to apply for a Residency Permit at the local PSB. This can be valid for up to one year from application. Your employer should help you with all that. If your application for the RP is not done within the 30 days you will be here illegally and subject to a fine.
tributary

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You willingly entered China under false pretenses? It stuns me how many people actually commit the crime and think it's nothing and shouldn't go punished. Entering China for purposes of what is actually intended... Then "working" illegally under said false pretense/visa. It is not that difficult you know. Where/what is the desperation for people to enter China with the hustle of doing things illegally. What is the situation back home that causes this mindset?

In my area, the police are no longer putting up with this stuff.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaming and accusing someone of a crime without knowing the facts is pretty weak.

When a school invites you to work for them and tells you they will get you the proper visa once you arrive, there is no reason to doubt them-- especially if you are new to China.

I would never insult a victim of human trafficking. but I would lay square blame on the trafficker (the recuiter and/or school) who mislead the worker.

Good luck in sorting your visa situation out.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP... it does appear that you are working illegally. Are you sure the school is authorized to hire foreigners? Do other FTs at the school have residence permits?

It really shouldn't take more than a week or two for the school to get a letter of invitation for you. They should indicate on the form that you will apply for the Z visa in HK. When you come back into China on the Z you have 30 days to get it 'converted' to a residence permit, which is usually good until the end of your contract.

Sounds as if you need to make some decisions. Continue to work illegally until the school decides they don't want you anymore.... OR, you can tell them that you're leaving if they can't provide the paperwork.

clownshow

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would never insult a victim of human trafficking. but I would lay square blame on the trafficker (the recuiter and/or school) who mislead the worker.

While I agree with you intent, I am not sure this would be categorized as Human trafficking.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:

sorry pal but human trafficking (which is smth esl teachers are not victims of) is one problem China (and other like countries) don't have on their radar since the line may be on the inside heading out.

The individual who started this thread is only a victim of lies or his or her own naivety. Or both. Don't insult REAL victims of human trafficking by trying to make it look otherwise.
barashkov1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies.
I have a z-visa now. The reason it took so long was cause they had never gotten someone a z-visa before so they made a lot of mistakes.
Now I'm waiting for them to get me the residence permit. Anyway they are not keeping up other parts of the contract so I'm considering changing jobs, although the pay relative to working hours is good.
If I change jobs, do I need to get a new z-visa or new residence permit? (if I change jobs I would definitely be living in another city).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: