Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does C.I.S. mean?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: What does C.I.S. mean? Reply with quote

I guess I asked my question in the subject, so what does it mean?
Pushok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commonwealth of Independent States - I think the 1st one is Commonwealth anyway
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for another question, but what countries belong to the CIS?
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confederation of Independent States
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused on the issue myself. I've only recently started studying Eastern Europe, but my understanding is that there are nine *official* members. Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia (don't ask me), Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, and Armenia. There are other coutries that sorta are and sorta aren't. Moldova and Ukraine want to join the European Union but are somehow still related to CIS. Turkmenistan is also a sorta-member of CIS.

If you're wondering why Russia is a member of CIS and people always say "Russian and CIS (former USSR states)" then tell me why when they refer to the quartet as "US, UN, Russia, and European Union" considering both the US and Russia are members of UN. We live in a silly world.

Last edited by Communist Smurf on Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Commonwealth of Independent States Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

Smurf - love your new avatar. Very Happy And you are right on the money with your explanation of C.I.S. - a.k.a. the Commonwealth of Independent States

The idea of renaming the forum to Russia & C.I.S. was mine ... for one simple reason. All of the countries mentioned within Smurf's post were part of the old USSR, and schools in some of these countries are now beginning to hire EFL teachers.

Problem is, most of these countries are still too small (from an EFL perspective) to warrant having their own individual forums at the moment.

Can you imagine a separate forum for Kyrgyzstan? Twisted Evil

So ... by renaming the forum to 'Russia & CIS' we make it clear to everyone that this is the right forum to post questions and topics related to ANY of these strange new worlds.

Here's the official dictionary definition of C.I.S., courtesy of http://www.onelook.com -

Commonwealth of Independent States [Abbr. CIS]

An association of former Soviet republics that was established in December 1991 by Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus to help ease the dissolution of the Soviet Union and coordinate interrepublican affairs. Other members include Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.

Warm regards,
kENt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: