Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A questions from a newbie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosnian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: A questions from a newbie Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently attending an University in Canada and I'm going toward a BA in (Major) English (Minor in History). Can you guys tell me what I sould do to get a job teaching overseas, preferably anywhere in Middle East or North Africa. Do I need a Telf or can I just use my degree. I still have a few years before I'm done school. I also speak and write French, Bosnian and some limited Arabic.

How is the job market overseas?

For the jobs that are advertised on this website, what is the rejection rate. If it is very high what are the other options when looking for employment?

How hard is it to get into Saudi or UAE?

I have many other questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Javid
dduck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47 should come with a health warning. Something like "Consumption of too much Scot47 could seriously damage your hopes, aspirations, self-image, sexual performance, will to live ... Wink

Seriously Scot, you should think about adding some warning to your signature. A newbie crawls out of the woodwork and there's you scaring them back in. Confused

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Scot47 know what a 'tell' is, do you?

Maybe I should say "Scot47 and I know what a 'tell' is, do you?"

Comments, obsecations and criticisms?

And, by the way, define 'tell' before you answer. Laughing
lajzar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot, pray tell, what does hwre mean? If you're going to flame a newbie for these kinds of mistakes, expect the same in return.
J-Pop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: "tell" us about "obsecation . . . Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
Me and Scot47 know what a 'tell' is, do you?

Maybe I should say "Scot47 and I know what a 'tell' is, do you?"

Comments, obsecations and criticisms?

And, by the way, define 'tell' before you answer. Laughing

Firstly, "Me and Scot47 . . . " is fine. Too, "Scot47 and me . . . " is also acceptable. For some, old time stuck-in-the mud teachers of English (unlike my prof at uni), "Scot47 and I . . . " sounds better, but is not inherently superior to the other renditions.

Secondly,
I know the verb "tell," (as in "to tell") & I've heard rumors (rumours, for some others) of a certain personage from the past, "William Tell."

However, help us out . . . pray tell, what is a "tell."
Did you mean, rather than "tell," to write "telf" as in TEFL?

Or, OTOH, do you mean a "tell," as in "mound, or hill," derived from Arabic for "tall"? specifically : an ancient mound in the Middle East composed of remains of successive settlements ? Laughing

Next, pray tell us the meaning (a definition will do nicely) of "obsecations"?
Did you mean "observations"? Cool Or was, perhaps, obfuscation(s) what you actually had in mind? Smile
J-Pop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: civil attempt . . . Reply with quote

dduck wrote:
Scot47 should come with a health warning. Something like "Consumption of too much Scot47 could seriously damage your hopes, aspirations, self-image, sexual performance, will to live ... Wink

Seriously Scot, you should think about adding some warning to your signature. A newbie crawls out of the woodwork and there's you scaring them back in. Confused

Iain

Iain, aka dduck,
Your message strikes me as a civlized, humorous & lighthearted attempt to communicate something important & serious.

I've thought the same thing, basically, as what you write.
Though, admittedly, the words I had in mind would not (probably) sound as nice as yours do! Cool

Nice avatar! "Como va el espanol"? Bien, lo espero Exclamation Smile
bosnian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very nice if someone answered my questions in a constructive manner. Thanks.
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else loathe the word 'newbie' as much as I do?

Can't we call it the 'New Teachers Question and Answer Forum' or something like that instead?

I'm sure new students don't get treated the way new teachers (sometimes) do here.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: ridicule Reply with quote

Rites of initiation and hazing are universal. The phenomenon of ridiculing the newcomer ("newbie") happens in the Marines. Why should TEFL teachers be immune ?

We need more rites of passage ! Especially for Bosnians who want a telf !
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosnian, your questions are way to general to answer?

Quote:
How is the job market overseas?

For the jobs that are advertised on this website, what is the rejection rate. If it is very high what are the other options when looking for employment?

What do you mean? Overseas is pretty big. What is the rejection rate for work you say? Depends on the job, the country, you. My experiences will not be yours.

Just a little advice, proofread a little before you post and you won't get hammered as badly. The spelling and grammar in your post is horrendous and you are majoring in English?
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ridicule Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Rites of initiation and hazing are universal. The phenomenon of ridiculing the newcomer ("newbie") happens in the Marines. Why should TEFL teachers be immune ?

I think the 'here's the couse book - go teach' is quite enough of an initiation into TEFL, why ridicule anyone before they even go near a classroom?

Rites of initiation are beyond pointless, as when (some of) these new teachers are older and more experienced they'll perpetuate the sad cycle of flaming new teachers purely because it was done to them... and on and on... yawn.

As for the Marines, if you are dumb enough to go anywhere near the armed forces by choice then you kinda deserve it.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: ridiculous Reply with quote

I will continue to ridicule people who ask ridiculous questions.

To ask a general question about teaching "overseas", as if it were a real place rather than a mental construct, is to INVITE ridicule.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: ridiculous Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I will continue to ridicule people who ask ridiculous questions.

To ask a general question about teaching "overseas", as if it were a real place rather than a mental construct, is to INVITE ridicule.

This sounds like something a bully would say. The victim always invites the bullying (i.e. ridiculing), "innit" Scot47? Rolling Eyes You may be one of the oldest and most experienced people on this board, but from where I sit you still have a bit of growing up to do.

Flame me if you like...my flame-suit is torch-proof. Wink
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Perhaps you didn't know it, but this forum was only recently created. I was not in favor of it, because I knew people would soon begin to flame newbie questions the moment they were posted. Others, however, said this would be a safe haven, and I believe Dave Sperling went with that feeling, not mine, in the hopes that flamers would sit this one out.

If you want to flame, go back to the sandbox or the Marines.
denise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ridicule Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Teachers should be immune precisely because we are NOT marines. We have chosen a different path (one that involves helping, rather than killing, folks around the globe...)

And hazing? Like drunken fraternity boy antics? What exactly would such antics do to the reputation of our profession?

Everyone on this board was a newbie/newcomer at one time or another. Everyone had to start somewhere, and most of us probably had loads of questions.

Some people may have thicker skin than others and be able to handle abuse, but that's no reason to dish it out.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: