Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interested in Oman/ME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Interested in Oman/ME Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm posting here because I think that Oman will be the only place my qualifications will allow for, but i've noticed that a lot of posters frequent all of the ME forums and I would appreciate any relevent info about other places in the region too.

I've got 2.5 years experience with both children and adults. My degree is in Spanish and I have a CTEFL. I'm starting a DELTA course on Monday and will take the exam at the beginning of June (and hope to pass!).

My partner faces the possibility of being posted to Riyadh (arrrghh) this summer. If this happens, he'd like me to look for a job in the region so that we can see each other fairly regularly. Bearing that in mind, i'd like to be in Muscat, unless there are good air connections to other towns in Oman?

From reading other posts I get the impression that Oman is an OK place for a lone female. However, i'm 25 and worry a bit about being bored/lonely. I don't mind about lack of nightclubs or bars, but i'd like to have someting to occupy me- maybe take some courses, join a club/society, learn a new skill...? I'm quite a social person (don't mind my own company either), but i'd like to know that there's some kind of social scene, whatever it consists of!

Thanks

N
KiteBiker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Social ... Reply with quote

From your description, you may wish to stick to Muscat. The second largest city in Oman is Salalah and beleive me, you have to be extreemely self-suficient to live there and it's a difficult plane trip to see anyone in the KSA from there. But at least there's a plane. Other cities in Oman don't have that luxury. the only exception may be Sur and I think it a turbo-prop job that doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

I say - Muscat.
usool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Riyadh Reply with quote

Hi there

You could try Riyadh (The IPA is good with some western teachers): www.ipa.edu.sa

I think taking all into consideration, life alone is worse than life in Saudi with company, but thats my personal observation

Regards
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola,

You are in a rather odd situation. The Gulf is not really a very good place to be your age and single (unless you are 'unattached' and like older men... who likely have a wife back home somewhere). The majority of the other single women could be your mother. (like me...) I very much enjoyed the quiet life of Muscat, but I would have died of boredom if I had been 25. Laughing There are few opportunities for courses and such. Perhaps internet courses?

Another problem that I can see is that with your lack of advanced degree (or relative first degree) and little experience, you would likely only be considered at places that have low pay and benefits - and iffy working conditions. The Gulf is famous for hiring older people with MAs and/or extensive Arab world experience.

Have you thought about somewhere like Cairo? Lots more to do and a much cheaper place to live. Another option related to Usool's comment, could you possibly get married and go with your partner? In your situation, that really is the best option. (the chance of getting hired from outside the country at the IPA are pretty much zero with your credentials...)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: