Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOl from AUC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzgal05

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: MA in TESOl from AUC Reply with quote

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how much the Masters program in TESOl is from AUC for a full-time student?

Is it very difficult to get the Fellowship?

Thanks.

zzgal
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the link to the program:

http://www.aucegypt.edu/academic/gradstudies/fellowships/tefl.htm

Here is the link to the tuition:

http://www.aucegypt.edu/academic/gradstudies/financial.html

It's US$6750 per semester and I suspect that the quickest that you could do it would be 2 semesters plus a summer session - if you really overload and don't do the thesis. The Fellows take 4 semesters plus a summer session. Then you would need money for housing... and books would set you back a few hundred dollars a semester.

As you can see from the top site, applications are due by February 1 for the following September, so it is much too late for this year. Using glaring generalities here, but the average Fellow is an American... in his/her 30's... with a first degree in education... and Middle East teaching experience. That said, over the years... I know Brits who have got into the program... a few in their late 20's... a few pushing 50... and I got in with almost no teaching experience beyond my student teaching 15 years before my application. It all depends on that year's application pool...

You lose nothing by applying but a bit of your time... but it would be for September, 2008 at this point.

VS
theinquiringmind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: AUC Reply with quote

It is actually now $7250 a semester. I will be attending the program there this fall. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how hard it is to get a fellowship; I applied too late. I am going anyway; I couldn't stomach the thought of staying at my current job another year.

I had no trouble getting accepted; my only teaching experience is a class on World Civilization which I have been teaching at Florida International University for the last year and a half. I have a BA in Economics and am finishing a Masters in History. I also have taken numerous courses in creative writing.

While I have no formal teaching experience in teaching English, the class I teach is graded largely on how well essays are written; I probably spend more time grading essays on how well they are written than what they say. I assume AUC considered that enough of a background in teaching English.

But as VS says, it could also depend on the applicant pool each year; perhaps I wouldn't have been accepted had the applicant pool been much stronger or larger.

Anyway, I am going in a couple of months; if you want to ask what it is currently like, ask me then. I'm sure I'll have plenty to say. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AUC Reply with quote

theinquiringmind wrote:
I had no trouble getting accepted; my only teaching experience is a class on World Civilization which I have been teaching at Florida International University for the last year and a half. I have a BA in Economics and am finishing a Masters in History. I also have taken numerous courses in creative writing.

When one is a paying customer, they tend to be more... generous with who they accept. (as most universities seem to be these days...) Laughing

They do tend to be more choosy with those that get the free MAs under the Fellowship. One reason is that Fellows teach in their programs and the students can be very demanding - and they will not accept people who obviously don't know what they are doing. (after all, they are paying a very high tuition themselves by Egypt's standards)

Good Luck!! It WILL be an experience as life in Cairo is not for the timid.

VS
theinquiringmind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much; I suspect I'll need all the luck I can get! Smile

I was wondering if you could tell me about the neighborhood AUC is in. Some things I've read make it sound interesting, while others seem to dismiss it as noisy and dirty. You were there; what do you think? Do you have any idea what a modest apartment in that area would rent for? (I'm WAY too old to live in a dorm).

I lived in NYC for a long time; a little noise and dirt aren't going to phase me that much. I like the idea of being right around the museum; I am working on a Masters thesis in History, and plan to include aspects of ancient Egyptian history in it. Living nearby would be very convenient.

Lastly, do you think doing the degree in 3 semesters should be possible without driving myself too hard? (Fall, Spring 2007, Fall 2008?)
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you visit this blog, this guy might be able to give you an idea of costs http://wanderingjordan.blogspot.com/ for renting a flat around AUC. I'm guessing, but I would say a small place (furnished) would run around 2000 LE. The real estate prices have gone through the roof in recent years. 5 years ago, you could find a decent 2 bedroom (not 'western decoration) from 1200 LE and higher. I think it's changed quite a bit recently. I'm sure you could find cheaper in a less convenient locaiton (or without things like AC, unfurnished, semi furnished, etc.). Being foreign adds a special tax to everything, including housing. Try emailing the guy on the blog, though. He's recently been flat hunting himself.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theinquiringmind wrote:
I was wondering if you could tell me about the neighborhood AUC is in. Some things I've read make it sound interesting, while others seem to dismiss it as noisy and dirty. You were there; what do you think? Do you have any idea what a modest apartment in that area would rent for? (I'm WAY too old to live in a dorm).

Hey Stoth... did this give you a little chuckle. We wouldn't be laughing at you Mr/Md IM, but laughing at the extremes of the fact that the neighborhood around AUC reaches as to its being interesting, noisy and dirty. Let's just say that it will make most of NYC seem like a quiet clean haven of serenity. Wink

There are better choices a bit further away - IMHO. For me living alone was crucial as was a bit of quiet at night. But the best advice is for you to not worry overmuch before you go... just be ready to dive in and look around before you choose a place. There are a number of cheap hotels close by that you can use until you find a place you like. AUC has bulletin boards that often have various options as to renting rooms, flats with other students, or a place of your own. Many landlords like to rent to older AUC students who will likely take decent care of their place. But, it is a matter of timing what you will find.

As Stoth says, making contact with the person on that website is the best source for current rental rates.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, OP. Most of Cairo is noisy and dirty. I think finding a place on a side street off the main road is a blessing, but also makes it harder to get a taxi. If you want quiet, there are still parts of Zamalek that less travelled...and very pricey. I'll be curious what Jordan the blogger has to say about the rent in his area. Please come back and share!
stoth1972

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZgal05, check out this guy's reply to housing questions.

http://wanderingjordan.blogspot.com/2007/06/about-apartments.html
hiby

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am starting my MA in TEFL at the AUC next fall on a fellowship and I would like to know if anyone could give me any tips or advice about the courses and stuff.
Thanks guys
The song

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringig this topic back from the dead. I am Egyptian-Canadian, and this program caught my attention. Has anyone tried working with this degree outside of egypt or the middle east? How much recognition does this have internationally? My guess is not very much.

Last edited by The song on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
Has anyone tried working with this degree outside or egypt or the middle east? How much recognition does this have internationally? My guess is not very much.

Why would you think it doesn't have much recognition? It's accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US, which also accredits Princeton University, New York University, Georgetown University, Columbia University... among others. There are AUC alumni working in English language programs in the Middle East and USA. Veiledsentiments, who posted on this thread, is a graduate of the program and taught in the ME for 15 years.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
Bringig this topic back from the dead. I am Egyptian-Canadian, and this program caught my attention. Has anyone tried working with this degree outside or egypt or the middle east? How much recognition does this have internationally? My guess is not very much.

You would be surprised how many well-known names in ESL/EFL graduated from this program... and taught there through the years.

But, of course, the reality is that in our field, all that matters is that the university is accredited. Whether you get your MA at Harvard (if they even have such an MA on offer) or AUC/AUB/AUS or AU in Washington DC, your job opportunities or lack thereof is pretty much exactly the same. Cool

VS
The song

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might have come off the wrong way so I apologize. I understand it is an accredited degree, but it may be harder to market to employers who may not understand accreditation and just look at the name, see it is from Egypt and move on to another candidate (Or in the case of dual citizens applying to Arab universities and schools, give them a job offer with an Egyptian salary and benefits). I suppose it comes down to explaining that it is accredited in the US. I couldnt find on their website how long the actual program is so I refrained from sending them an E-mail until I was more serious about it.

I'm still thinking about TESOL as a career so I want to get a CELTA and try teaching in Colombia for a while. The situation in Canada for TESOL is pretty uninspiring--MA's are required to find a decent job but they seem to be longer, more intensive, and harder to get into than their American/Australian/etc counterparts.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
I understand it is an accredited degree, but it may be harder to market to employers who may not understand accreditation and just look at the name, see it is from Egypt and move on to another candidate (Or in the case of dual citizens applying to Arab universities and schools, give them a job with an Egyptian salary and benefits). I suppose it comes down to explaining that it is accredited in the US.

It seems you're stuck on AUC's location. Keep in mind the university's MA in TESOL is well-known and accepted throughout the Middle East. Plus, AUC is nearly 100 years old and for decades has attracted Arab students from all over the region mainly because it's US accredited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: