Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cheating on tests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: cheating on tests Reply with quote

I told the students that if they cheated on the test they would have their names written up.

Despite being warned all the students in the section engaged in some form of cheating on the first test today, including copying from students at the next desk, whispering answers etc...

Now if I castigate the guilty people it means that I would have to punish all the students in the class because everyone..yes everyone engaged in some form of cheating.

Should one in Turkey just accept cheating as part of the norm?

Obviously if I gave everyone a failing mark, I would have the parents and school admin. come down on me like a ton of bricks.

Advice?
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rough time with that too. I've tried moving desks, punishing cheaters, etc, but it seems to be almost acceptable to cheat here--- no one in authority really seems to care (correct me if i'm wrong). So far, I have found that I do more oral testing because its harder to 'copy' anyone that way (hasn't anyone ever told these guys that 'copy' isn't the right word for cheating????).
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently at work we have three differnt versions of the same test. The questions are still the same but the order has been changed. So when they ask their friend for the answer for number 3 their friend tells them the answer for number 5. None the wiser. It seems to work
FGT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ghost,
1) Never make empty threats - if you said you'd punish the offenders and all your class offends then you have to punish them all.
2) Cheating is rife in this country - I've had bank managers cheat in exams! The whole culture of cheating is different. It's no coincidence that students (mistakenly) say "I won an exam" : there is an element of beating the system.
3) How do you invigilate exams? Have you tried sitting behind the students (they turn to sit with their backs to you) so they can't see who you're looking at? Do you walk around the class during an exam?
4) Is this an important (life or death) exam or is it just learner training?
5) You could ask your local British Council for advice. They administer the Cambridge and IELTS exams which have very stringent guidelines.
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: cheating Reply with quote

Yes fgt you're right. One should usually carry out one's words.

However I have had to look at the big picture here and if I punished the entire class I would just put my job in jeopardy...and I as everyone here needs to work.

There are so many things that happen here that one disapproves of but the other veterans have advised me to just grin and bear it. There is no value in becoming a hero here, you will just get yourself blacklisted from other Institutions when/if you move on.
gelin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you are right, Ghost, in many respects. Most new teachers are gung ho on changing everything -- punishing offenders, etc. The old-timers do punish, too, but they choose their battles very carefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: