Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shockingly Wide Array of Morocco Comments!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fairly widely known that if people are in ESL for the money they go to Japan, Korea or the Gulf countries, not Morocco.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shockingly Wide Array of Morocco Comments!!! Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
***FOR A SINGLE PERSON WITH NO CAR, WHO RENTS A SMALL, MODEST STUDIO WITH A SHOWER, WHO TAKES TAXIS, AND HAS NO EXTRAVAGANT HABITS......

I know Buddhist monks with more mod cons than that! I'm not being funny eclectic, but Buddhist monks also lead a better life than the one you're contemplating. Have you considered that option?

You'd get free accommodation and food, and unlike a Dh8000 teacher in Morocco, you'd get respect and be quite popular to boot. Women will come up to talk and offer food - believe me, that don't happen in Maroc, especially after 8pm during the chic curfew. At the end of every month, you'll have just the same amount of cash left as a Maroc chalkboard slave, but you won't have made someone else rich.

Sorry, AE, you�re a girl so the above doesn�t apply to you. It�s just as well, mind. I think people ask monks questions and stuff, and you don�t do questions.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the males I taught with received many, many offers of lunches and dinners. One guy made it known that he was participating in the Ramadan fast, and he received boxes and boxes of home-made goodies from neighbors and students to help him break the fast.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy, he wasn't muslim and did the fasting thing?

Most of the Moroccans I knew scoffed all day during ramadam, more than the rest of the year. And the only boxes I ever got during the holy month were full of money so I could go and buy beers for them all.

But I digress. I've nothing much against religion, but any non muslim who fasts during ramadam is a sad case. Just imagine if a muslim decided to do xmas in the UK one year, and even sadder went around telling everyone about it as he traipsed through the snow with his 20lb frozen turkey and bag of parsnips.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the many things he did to participate in the community. He also purchased and slaughtered a sheep for Eid el Kebir. He volunteered as soccer coach for a group of kids as well.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now this is bizarre isnt it.

still there is controversy. I thank all those publicly and privately who offered their advice, often in rather amusing tones.

that home-diet there of yoghurt, tuna, bananas, and tea sure sounds damn good by the way. as does marmelade with bread and butter. mmmmmmm.......now Im hungry.

Going to a foreign country for me is not about 5 star restaurants and hotels, but for the cultural part. I dont need or want a maid, nor a cook, nor a chauffeur, nor a butler, nor the occasional 5 star establishment, as I find rich people and rich things and rich attitudes utterly nauseating and phony.

There are DOCTORS for crying out loud who work FREE in 3rd world countries for altruism, cultural experience, etc.

MY MASTERS DEGREE DOES NOT QUALIFY ME FOR POMP, ARROGANCE, A SELFISH SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO THE GRAVE--THIS MATERIAL WORLD IS A FLEETING MIRAGE.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find rich people nauseating, then forget your 10000 a month in Maroc. The owner of your school is gonna make you puke.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I need not emulate a rich owner of any school. I do believe you that they will undoubtedly make me vomit. They think theyre taking the gold with them into the tomb. (puke, puke)
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, the ALCs are a non-profit organization and the British Council is a paragovernmental. Those two organizations combined teach more English classes than the rest of the schools in Morocco.
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMIDEAST is non-profit and now has more students per year (in Morocco) than The British Council.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"steady":

What are you -- some kind of expert with actual facts?? Cool
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steady wrote:
AMIDEAST is non-profit and now has more students per year (in Morocco) than The British Council.

Hardly surprising when the BC Casa loses money like it's going out of fashion and is destined to close in 2009.
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
"steady":

What are you -- some kind of expert with actual facts?? Cool

Henry_Cowell, I am Actualfactsincertainlittlepartsofafricaexpert.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:

Going to a foreign country for me is not about 5 star restaurants and hotels, but for the cultural part. I dont need or want a maid, nor a cook, nor a chauffeur, nor a butler, nor the occasional 5 star establishment, as I find rich people and rich things and rich attitudes utterly nauseating and phony.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO THE GRAVE--THIS MATERIAL WORLD IS A FLEETING MIRAGE.

That is ehm, complete twoddle and makes no sense...despite the irony in one or two of my posts, I am not rich, neither do I wanna live on the street, like you seem to want to do on 8k a month.

But, hipocrisy abounds between the lines in your post, you hate rich people but yet you are quite happy to work for an employer who charges 50% or more, in many cases, of your students income,
and thus make that employer very rich!!! Yes, you will be responsible for making someone rich. Perhaps you don't know Morocco, but that is what you will be doing.

Now logic would dictate that since the prices of language courses vary little in Casa, you might as well go for a higher paying job, and take more for yourself, so, if you so wish, you can give more away to charity....coz you can bet that your boss ain't gonna do that!

Be rational

Make sense
steady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"cheese eggs"

Please explain.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: