Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NETS has anybody heard anything yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do feel about NET job?
chilling
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
stressing
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

11:59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeckyBen wrote:
I am afraid I have already taken the plunge....(I have a flight booked and accomodation on Lamma island nearly sorted out).

I'm not being funny � I'm really not � but have you actually ever been to HK before? And, if you have, have you actually ever visited Lamma Island? It might look great from afar, and it may seem intriguing on a map (after all, visions of daily ferry rides to and from HK Island may seem appealing to the uninitiated), and I'm sure you�ll find a plethora of websites raving about the place, but the reality is that on the ground things are very, very different.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that Lamma � or, as the somewhat peculiar brand of Bohemian ex-pats who reside on that strange outcrop insist it be called, 'Laah-ma' � is HK's putative answer to San Francisco/Greenwich Village/Alcatraz, and as such is predominately full of down-at-heel western drifters (it is for example the only place in HK where I have seen Caucasian street beggars) who are escaping unemployment in their home states (largely due to their lack, or total absence, of any relevant skills, qualifications, or experience). Most if not all of these hippie wannabes have Thai and Filipino wives or, as is more often the case, 'wives-to-be' (viz., unpaid domestic helpers). Typically they picked these girls (and I choose my words carefully) up when they were 'travelling around SE Asia' (the fulcrum around which any decent Lamma Island resident�s CV turns). There also seems to be an inordinate number of aging, divorced western males with 'adopted sons' from Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos.

Nevertheless, the somewhat checkered pasts and tatty clothes of these Lamma drifters does not in any way prevent them from claiming superiority over all other foreigners in HK, and their outward hippie-like behaviour in no way means they strive to create a welcoming, free-for-all, Kibbutz-like atmosphere. Indeed, the island is infamous for having an ex-pat population that is clique and closed-shop to an extreme. In fact it would not be going too far to say that the situation on Lamma is reminiscent of a secret society. You'll see no end of Masonic-like head nodding and you won't be accepted as a legitimate resident of Lamma unless you've been there since before the Hand Over in 1997. Most bars and pubs are members only (to avoid having to get a license) and in those which are not you will be extremely fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your point of view) for anyone to ever talk to you (unless of course your idea of meaningful discourse is some tattooed penniless drifter trying to cadge $20 HK off you for another beer and/or the ferry fare to HK Island for 'a job interview').

And it is not just the weird residents of Lamma you have to be weary of. Another rampant problem on this strange lump of land is the sheer number of dogs which are neither wearing a collar, on a leash, or muzzled. Attacks on humans by rabid hounds are common and dog shit is quite literally everywhere. As a direct result of the amount of dog turds on the various pathways, going from end of Lamma to the other can often remind one of playing the childhood game of Twister. In the dark with Lamma's lack of street lighting this can be quite a serious problem. My advice would be to never wear sandals, let alone flip-flops.

In addition to the annoyance of the canine excrement, you may find you encounter problems with having to get ferries to and from work. The second there is a typhoon warning they begin to cease ferry services to the outlying islands and you only have an hour or so to get to the ferry terminal in order to catch the final ferry of the day (or until the warning is lifted). It is okay if you live on Lantau as you can still ultimately drive there, but if you miss the last ferry to Lamma then you'll have to put yourself up in a hotel on HK Island or in Kowloon. I don't know how much this costs as I have never done it but I'm willing to bet that it's not cheap by any means. Also, living on Lamma seriously affects other travel plans. For example, as I understand it the first ferry from Lamma is 6am or 6.30am (or something). This means that you can never fly out of HK on any flight before 8am or 8.30am (which ultimately rules out a whole host of destinations, at least as regards direct flights). And when returning to HK you will often face the same problem as when there is a bad weather warning, for if there is any delay in landing you can again miss the last ferry from HK Island to Lamma.

Also, what will you do if and when your principal calls a meeting at, say, 7.30am? How will you get there on time? And what about when your principal keeps you in a staff meeting (invariably conducted in Cantonese) till 9pm on a Friday? What time will you get home? 11pm? 12pm? That's a long day, especially if you get called in the very next morning. Also, there is a prevalent (and salient) feeling among local teachers that residents of Lamma are not serious, that they are whoring alcoholics, and that they detest HK and the HK Chinese (remember that most if not all HK teachers like to live no more than one or two minutes from their place of work, quite often in conditions most from the West would term nothing short of atrocious). The fact you live on Lamma alone will be reason enough for some local teachers to take a dislike to you.

Last edited by 11:59 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeckyBen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for that interesting reply. I have been to Lamma Island before. I am going to give it a go there, yes you were right the school were not entirely pleased about me wanting to live there and have been trying to persuade me into the last NETs flat somewhere very close to the school but I am probably naively set on lamma for the time being anyway and have said to all that I'll give it 3 months.
hkteach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. we're all different and what some like, others detest.
I must admit that I was surprised when I read that BeckyBen had chosen to live on Lamma. Many expats, including yours truly, usually want to live in or near Central midlevels or Wanchai or somewhere equally as full-on so that they can be a part of the social scene. Lamma seemed rather a strange 'first-up' choice.

11.59 has pointed out a lot of negatives of Lamma.
The positive aspects would be that Lamma is quiet, there are several restaurants serving 'western' food and rent would be cheaper than many (most??) other areas of Hong Kong.
But as a place to live, it would surely rank behind most other places in Hong Kong that I can think of.
Discovery Bay (and other parts of Lantau ) and Park Island are quiet havens too but are more convenient and are heaps more attractive.

I've been to Lamma twice - once to see what it was like and the second time to take visitors to see an 'alternative' part of Hong Kong.
On both trips I've noticed foreigners carrying household items (from IKEA and Pricerite) or lots of supermarket bags full of groceries. You need to go offshore to get all your homewares and groceries as there are only a few little mini grocery stores that don't stock much that you'd want. There's an ok bottle shop that sells wine at reasonable prices, a deli and a couple of greengrocers - that's it. So that's something that you need to be aware of and factor the off-island shopping trip/s into your schedule.

I really can't imagine why a new arrival would choose to live on Lamma first up (maybe ok after you've developed networks/made friends and become tired of the entertainment and shopping options and feel the need to get away from it all) but life for a single young female could be quite bleak there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but I think it is a very bad omen if the school are overtly trying to persuade you to live in close proximity to the school. Why would they want to do that unless they know that you will be expected to have heavy workload plus numerous extra-curricular activities both before and after school? Also, I am not convinced that you can just up and leave rented accommodation after three months. Usually if you leave before the end of the first year in a place then you will forfeit your deposit.
BeckyBen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points noted, thanks!
The flat is for three months trial (there is a get out clause.)
The school seems very reasonable.
A great friend of mine that I taught with in Beijing recommended the island (she lived there for 5 years and has never been happier) she took me there earlier this year when I started applying for the NET job.
I'll see how it goes...
I must admit those are the first bad things I've heard.
Thanks for your info.
Smoog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard to say that our dear friend 11.59 has yet to visit Lamma as his opines and descriptions of it exist only within his feverish imaginations.

There are no unlicenced bars on Lamma for one thing. The only reason a local would ignore you would you come into a drinking establishment on Lamma is if you were to come in with an smug air of superiority and condescension towards the locals, as our estwhile friend here displays.
On my first trip to the local I had several locals welcome me to the island and was introduced to many more. THe day I moved in I had one neighbour help me move and then invite me to his friend's BBQ the following weekend and another offer to install a sattelite dish for me (which entailed him travelling to Sham Shui Po to buy it and 1/2 a Saturday setting it up). Hardly examples of an "extreme clique and closed-shop".

The 7am ferry to Central is called the "Teacher's Ferry" for good reason - prob 70% of the passengers are teachers at schools somewhere on HK (myself one of them come Sept - sigh). Only once in the past 3 years that I've been living there has the ferry been cancelled (a couple of weeks ago, during school holidays). If it ever does happen when I'm on HK side, I have several friends (something that apparently our friend 11.59 is bereft of) with whom I can crash the night if necessary.

My theory as to why the local teachers don't like the idea of anyone living on Lamma is because:
1. They have a very negative view of the place and it's inhabitants, as expressed so eloquently by 11.59.
2. They had to come here back when they were students themselves for a school outing (it seems to be a popular destination for school outings for some reason). This is usually the first and last time they go there and, as a result, have fixated in their minds that Lamma is a remote isle somewhere hidden in the murky haze of the South China Sea.

The rents are cheaper here than elsewhere - I'm paying $7000 for a fully furnished 750sq ft flat with two bathrooms (including a jacuzzi), largish (for HK) kitchen with a proper oven (yay!). From my door I can be in Central within 30 minutes. About as long as it'd take someone living in the midlevels to get down to LKF.

There's plenty of good restaurants within walking distance - Indian, seafood, Japanese, Thai, vegan, vegetarian, Chinese, Sichuan, Turkish, Pizza, Western, Sri Lankan, and no doubt a couple others I can't think of right now. All good quality and at very reasonable prices.

It has lots of great walks around the island and several swimable beaches where the water quality's about the best you can expect in HK.

I do agree about the dog crap - that's a disgusting negative for the island.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post immediately above brings to mind one more distinguishing (and noteworthy) feature of the vast majority of weird ex-pats on Lamma Island: they are, for some reason, peculiarly intolerant of views and opinions that differ even marginally from their own, viz., from the accepted, 'official' Lamma Island viewpoints which are handed down from above from the outcrop's long-term residents (the self-proclaimed guardians, if not kings and queens, of the island).

In fact, methinks the cultural gatekeeper 'Smoog' (which, typographically, is close to an apt nickname given the foul air quality on Lamma) protests too much! From this I think anyone with even so much as a cursory knowledge of introductory psychoanalysis will infer that s/he knows full well that everything I write is arguably valid; it's simply that s/he doesn't want to hear the truth, especially not in such an explicit fashion. This is of course wholly understandable. After all, no one likes to have the illusions they live by (defence/coping mechanisms) openly shattered, do they?

Of course, that is not to say there is nothing to do on Lamma. On the contrary, there is nothing short of an abundance of things to do and see. Indeed, activities are abound! As rightly noted by Smoog, cuisine is highly varied. You can, for example, go to the Bookworm Caf� and enjoy the back alley outdoor hole-in-the-ground toilet, or you can frequent one of the countless seafood restaurants and fork out in excess of $200 HK for a bowl of rice, a dish of tofu, some prawns, and a beer. Or � if you do not happen to be on some old style gravy train $80,000-a-month ex-pat deal � you can just sit, relax and engage in some people watching, a form of amateur armchair social anthropology; it is after all always fascinating to watch people going about their business whilst simultaneously deluding themselves into thinking that they are not in Asia (and not slap bang right next door to a dirty great big power station).

Alternatively, you can participate in dog turd counting, which is a great weekend pastime for kids, especially those who want to contract worms and go blind in later life. And, whilst the kids are busily practising their to-the-power-of-ten arithmetic skills, the adults can play the game of 'Spot the Western Guy who doesn't have a Thai or Flip 'wife-to-be''. Or, if you are the active type and thus go in for physical exercise you are of course free to wander off the beaten track of the cram-packed high street and engage in some sprinting, in this case in the form of running for your very life from stray and highly territorial (not to mention ferocious) dogs. Or, if none of that takes your fancy you can always simply admire the sights. For those who have never been to Lamma I enclose some pictures below. As you can see, it is quite picturesque (though I am sure Freud would have had something to say as regards why so many males are willing to live in such close proximity to the phallic-like chimneys).

And it is only going to get worse. I suggest any future residents of Lamma take a look at the following:

http://www.epd.gov.hk/eia/register/report/eiareport/eia_1192005/HTML/Main%20Report/Visual%20illustration.htm

http://www.epd.gov.hk/eia/operation/english/chapter05_4.html
YSW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of anyone who comes across this thread searching for some facts about Lamma, be advised that 90% of Mr 11:59's tirade is fictional.

A few specific points:

11:59 wrote:
as the somewhat peculiar brand of Bohemian ex-pats who reside on that strange outcrop insist it be called, 'Laah-ma'

That's simply a closer rendition of the word's Cantonese pronunciation. (Though I habitually use the anglicised version without anyone insisting on correcting me.)

is predominately full of down-at-heel western drifters (it is for example the only place in HK where I have seen Caucasian street beggars)

Perhaps there were "drifters" here in the 80s (the last time 11:59 was here, apparently), but especially since the handover, and it becoming impossible for tourists to work legally, it's mostly yuppies. And in 15 years living on Lamma, I've NEVER seen a beggar, of any race.

Most if not all of these hippie wannabes have Thai and Filipino wives

Perhaps a dozen or so out of a few thousand residents.

There also seems to be an inordinate number of aging, divorced western males with 'adopted sons' from Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos.

Is this implying Lamma is a haven for gay paedophiles? Or WTF?

hippie-like behaviour.... Kibbutz-like atmosphere.

Hippies are an endangered species. You would be lucky to sight one in a day's meandering around the island. Kibbutz? Where?

You'll see no end of Masonic-like head nodding

Isn't it normal to acknowledge an acquaintance when you see them in the street? Is nodding or waving Masonic? Or would you prefer to embrace and kiss on both cheeks?

Most bars and pubs are members only (to avoid having to get a license)

Untrue. Every pub has a licence.

Attacks on humans by rabid hounds are common

There has been no rabies reported anywhere in Hong Kong for at least 20 years.
However, as in many parts of the New Territories, it's advisable to have a walking stick when in the countryside to ward off roaming dogs. Attacks happen, but are rare, occasioning lots of comment and complaints to the police. Aggressive barking is more common. Again, I only speak from 15 years' living here, and never a dog bite.

In the dark with Lamma's lack of street lighting this can be quite a serious problem. My advice would be to never wear sandals, let alone flip-flops.

There are street lights in all the village areas and the main paths connecting them. I wear sandals all the time. And I step in dog shit about once a year. Less often than in suburban Melbourne, actually. Unpleasant but I can deal with it. There's been a noticeable improvement since the $1500 littering fines and campaign started a couple of years ago.

The second there is a typhoon warning they begin to cease ferry services to the outlying islands and you only have an hour or so to get to the ferry terminal in order to catch the final ferry of the day

Only for Signal 8, which as most HK residents know, is perhaps 2-3 times a year. You have at least three hours (not one) warning before ferries are suspended. In 15 years this was never a problem.

Also, what will you do if and when your principal calls a meeting at, say, 7.30am?

Catch the 6:20 ferry. Be in Central at 6:50.

and what about when your principal keeps you in a staff meeting (invariably conducted in Cantonese) till 9pm on a Friday? What time will you get home? 11pm? 12pm?

Personally, I'd walk out, pleading some engagement.
Ferries at 9:30, 10:30. 11:30, 12:30. You'll be home before most Kowloon residents.

The post immediately above brings to mind one more distinguishing (and noteworthy) feature of the vast majority of weird ex-pats on Lamma Island: they are, for some reason, peculiarly intolerant of views and opinions that differ even marginally from their own

Unlike the tolerant and urbane Mr 11:59.

You can, for example, go to the Bookworm Caf� and enjoy the back alley outdoor hole-in-the-ground toilet,

It has a porcelain, flushing, squat toilet. Like a great many toilets in Hong Kong.

you can frequent one of the countless seafood restaurants and fork out in excess of $200 HK for a bowl of rice, a dish of tofu, some prawns, and a beer.

Half the restaurants are international: Italian, Indian, Thai, Turkish, Japanese, American, etc. If you actually do want beer, prawns and tofu, more like $80-100.

'Spot the Western Guy who doesn't have a Thai or Flip 'wife-to-be''.

You seem obsessed with this image. Your Chinese wife keeping you on a short leash?
Sit all day in Main Street and you may see three or four such mixed couples. How many would you see in Midlevels? Wanchai? TST?

For those who have never been to Lamma I enclose some pictures below. As you can see, it is quite picturesque

There's a power station on a peninsula. It covers about 2% of the island. That leaves 98% of hills, beaches, farms and village housing for us.

I'm not being funny – I'm really not

You got that right at least.

A quick look through 11:59's posts shows they are often deliberately offensive and provocative. So rather than trust his (or my) opinions, I advise you that it costs $11 and 30 minutes to visit Lamma and see for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a nice try, but, unfortunately for you, the thought that will immediately spring into the minds of those with even so much as a cursory and superficial knowledge of basic clinical and forensic psychology � gleaned from introductory, undergraduate texts � is, 'methinks you protest too much!' (In layman's terms, it is blatantly obvious that I hit a raw nerve, and so hit the nail on the head with the non-controversial observations I made as regards Laah-maaa Island and its inhabitants, otherwise referred to as 'Lamma-Losers'). This is clearly evinced from the (zero) response to your (laughably pathetic) attempt at a riposte. But, as I say, nice try � it must have taken a semiliterate twerp such as yourself a long time. Better luck next time, sonny Jim.
YSW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a nice try, but, unfortunately for you, the thought that will immediately spring into the minds of those with even so much as a cursory and superficial knowledge of basic clinical and forensic psychology – gleaned from introductory, undergraduate texts – is, 'methinks you protest too much!' (In layman's terms, it is blatantly obvious that I hit a raw nerve, and so hit the nail on the head with the non-controversial observations I made as regards Laah-maaa Island and its inhabitants, otherwise referred to as 'Lamma-Losers'). This is clearly evinced from the (zero) response to your (laughably pathetic) attempt at a riposte. But, as I say, nice try – it must have taken a semiliterate twerp such as yourself a long time. Better luck next time, sonny Jim.

From this confused medley of metaphors and abuse, obviously you can't back up your colourful anecdotes. Since your previous tirades include several straight-up falsehoods, I don't suppose you have much option other than to proceed to ad hominem attacks to distract attention.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says you, which, given (or is it 'gibbon') your 'track record', is hardly saying much, it it?
YSW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says you, which, given (or is it 'gibbon') your 'track record', is hardly saying much, it it?

"Says you". Well, that certainly put me in my place.

Next, you insult my mother?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an inner and unexpressed issue with your mother? An Oedipus complex, perhaps? Feel free to PM me for professional help,
kowlooner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'methinks you protest too much!'

Ditto!

This thread went quiet not because YSW's response was "laughingly pathetic" but because it countered your points quite well and without prejudice. Sort of a feeling of "case closed."

Calling YSW a "semiliterate twerp"? I did like your "says you" come-back though. Very witty! Moved up a grade in middle school rhetorical skills!

If you wish to revive the debate, why not do so by addressing the specific observations of YSW?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"11:59" must resort to snide, sarcastic, and cynical ad hominem attacks when he cannot support his own words. He either can't or won't refute YSW's criticisms and corrections.

I'm sure he'll have a kind word about me, too. Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: