Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic -- Want to start a band?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2200v Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Off topic -- Want to start a band? Reply with quote

I posted a similar message in a South Korea forum -- now it is here for your reading pleasure!

I play drums and am interested in starting a band after this English teaching thing is finished. I'm not talented so I've put some effort into it; thus far during my time in South Korea I've practiced close to twenty hours a week for about six months. I intend to practice at least twenty hours a week for the next few years before going to India to study tabla or mridangam.

I am looking for another drummer or percussionist, a bass player, a guitar player or two, and a keyboard player. Songwriters are of interest as well.

Some of my favorite rock bands: The Grateful Dead, R.E.M., The Clash, Cornershop, Nirvana, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Phish.

Maybe less influential but worthy of mention: The Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim, New Order, Zwan, Radiohead, The Beach Boys, and The Pet Shop Boys.

Other styles of music I like: reggae, dub, soukous, highlife, son, Hindustani, Balinese gamelan, and James Brown (a category unto himself).

I respect jazz and am actively trying to appreciate it more.

I am an easy-going 30 year old male from the U.S. who might be willing to relocate if a promising situation with band members from another nation arises. Also, I am more interested in a good attitude and a willingness to improvise and try new things regarding music than any sort of "proper" musical background, which I lack.

If you want to start a band and you think we might be compatible, or you just want to network, go ahead and write to me -- even if several years have passed since this message was posted. I am not a fan of the cult of incivility that seems to be popular with many of the foreign English teachers in South Korea, so if you do write to me please be nice. I will try to do the same. Keep in mind that my responses might be a bit slow as I am not often on-line during the week.
2200v Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading comprehension seems to be a problem for many of you (there has been more going on behind the scenes than on the notice board). My post should not be that difficult to understand. Among other things, terms such as "drumming" and "India" are not code for anything else. I do not want to visit you in Seoul, Japan, Thailand, or any other place not mentioned in my post. And the insinuations that you might change your life plans as a result of a visit from me are creepy. I do not wish to "put it", my only pleasure is diddling as such. I am confident the, uh, astute readers on this board will catch not only the drumming-related pun in the previous sentence, but also be familiar with the quote I borrowed from and its source.

And yes, I am aware of the seeming futility of decrying poor reading comprehension through the written word -- if you can understand this sentence, it might not be relevant for you and if you can't understand it, it seems likely to be relevant. Oh, bother!

"Foul feeders! Slipped are ye on your own excrement? Parasites! Having
made the world lousy, imagine ye are of significance to Heaven?"
-- Austin Osman Spare
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like a soul with a riveting personality.
Good luck with your search. Rolling Eyes
2200v Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well. How would you tell people you don't have ulterior motives for posting, while at the same time encouraging them to put in the time and effort to understand what they are reading before they reply?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: