Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International educator being detained in Kuwait
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravellingAround

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: International educator being detained in Kuwait Reply with quote

A letter has been posted on the International Schools Review forum from an American teacher who is in Kuwait. Despite having committed no crime it seems that she has been banned from leaving the country due to a parent of a former pupil at her school having a vendetta against her.

If anybody can help they are asked to contact the website. It certainly seems a serious situation and the teacher is living in fear.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/emergency.htm

Seemingly a victim of "wasta".
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see two lessons here. The first is that just like everywhere in the world, you have no power to stop the powerful who may be out to get you. Just ask the mostly innocent Arabs swept up in the government nets since 911. They were imprisoned for years with no recourse to lawyers or family. (and none have been tried or found guilty of anything other than being brown in America)

The second is to never expect the US Embassy to be of any use. Their purpose for existence is political and economic. As to expat teachers... they really couldn't care any less.

I only hope that she can get some equally important Kuwaiti to look at the case.

VS
trapezius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You are right, but partially.

Something like this could NEVER happen in the US or Western Europe. This is corruption and nepotism at its finest. People detained after 911 was a completely different scenario (perhaps more egregious in a sense, but not comparable to this).

If the situation really IS as described in that letter from the poor lady, then I will see Mr. Marzouk (and all under his influence who are causing this) in hell.

I feel for her. Shocking that something like this is going on in the most "civilized" Arab countries. Just like the dinosaurs, their time will come.

God help her.

P.S. I would love to help her, but I don't know anybody in Kuwait, and have never been there. Had this been in SA, maybe I would have been able to help.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent off the article to a friend in Kuwait who may have some contacts who may be able help.

But actually I think the US situation is a worse case... their only crime was being brown... being Muslim or Arab was not even required. It was the death knoll of the American system of justice... and it has been downhill since then with our addition of illegal renditions, gulags, and... look what has happened to careers of Americans who have crossed this administration by trying to get the truth to the American people.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suspect that in the west you would need to be more than coloured. Wouldn't you need to know someone who knew someone else who might have known something? About something remotely connected to national security in someone's mind.

In Kuwait corruption is rampant in daily life. I do not find it hard to believe that you could go to jail there for giving a kid a detention.

I remember working at a school there that had many runners. The staff were told that anyone who tried a runner would be arrested at the airport and jailed. And it happened to a gentleman I know. Of course it happens all the time if you are from coloured. The only difference is that we hear about this woman because she is American and has the resources to tell us.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point canadashirleyblue... I suspect that we are only hearing about this because she is American. One of the reasons that I left Kuwait and wouldn't go back was the requirement for an exit visa if you work for KU.

But... you need to read more of the US news... the first roundups in the US were based only on skin color - which is why they swept up Sikhs and Arab Christians as often as not.

Now it has morphed into the idea that you have done something 'suspicious' - like have relatives back home that you might have to send money... or speak out in support of the Palestinians... or follow the proscriptions of the Quran to give money to charities back home... or make a mistake on your student visa paperwork...

VS
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by needing an exit visa. You can just leave Kuwait. That is if you can get your passport off your employer (which they aren't supposed to have semi-pemanently anyway) without causing suspicion - in which case you will be stopped at the airport (and arrested and imprisoned).

Thanks for the info about the States.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by "needing an exit visa" was that at KU at the time I was there, every teacher needed an exit visa to leave the country. We kept our passports and we were unable to leave without the exit visa which the university had to arrange. I understood that at the same time, private employers did not require exit visas, but held passports. It is the same in the end, they can keep you from leaving if they wish.

I can't say if this is still current policy at KU or not.

VS
cassava

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Ms. Phillips should consult a good lawyer as quickly as possible. If she doesn't, she risks having to spend her holiday in Kuwait against her will. Many Kuwaitis, especially the rich and powerful, do not take take kindly to even the most moderate punishment given to their children in an educational setting. They tend to see such actions as a personal insult and consequently react in a vicious manner.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Exit visa for Kuwait Reply with quote

Yes, you still need an exit visa to leave Kuwait if you work for a government agency, such as Kuwait University. If you are employed with a private employer, you do not require one, but can still be stopped by security when you leave if a police case or financial matter is pending against you. Most people do not even find out about these bans until they are at the airport and preparing to board their plane. Private employers will also attempt to hold on to your passport, but if you threaten them with calling your Embassy, will usually relinquish them. It is against the law for them to hold your passport, at least for American citizens. Not sure about other nationalities. We are attempting to get her in contact with a good, local human rights attorney. Enshallah she will be able to leave Kuwait soon.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That explains the difference.
My friend who was arrested and eventually deported had no idea there would be a problem until he was about to leave at the airport. He had resigned within the legal timeframe. The employer had not requested an interview or made any attempt to let him know that he didn't like it. It was a bit of a surprise Sad
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Arab Times the US ambassador has sent letters to the Kuwaiti ruling family. The embassy, then, is taking action. Hopefully, this lady will soon be able to enjoy her well-earned summer vacation.
It makes me wonder how the Kuwaitis really view their little state when one of their citizens attempts to ''destroy'' a foreign national by locking her inside it. Maybe the Gulf citizens also see their dreary homelands as prisons,too.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope that ambassador didn't strain anything signing those letters. Although it was probably machine signed and he is off on leave.

The one piece of good news is that the story has hit Reuters and the international press:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070630/us_nm/kuwait_usa_teacher_dc_1

It could be helpful if people would call the Kuwaiti Embassy if they have one nearby and politely suggest that it is situations like this that make Kuwaitis disliked and not respected around the world.

Any of you in the Washington DC area, please do so on Monday.

VS
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it makes you feel any better about the American embassy - my teacher friend who was arrested and jailed and later deported was not American. His embassy was unable to do anything. There were two other teachers who were in a similar position but had not gone to the airport and so had not been arrested. They were getting legal advice the last I heard. I haven't been in contact with them so I don't know how it turned out. We are talking non-Americans here from 3 different western nations.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the poor US ambassador can't satisfy VS. He's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't.
Come on! He took the matter to the rulers of the emirate. What would you have suggested he did?
Anyway, let's hope this woman is soon out of the dreadful situation she finds herself in.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: