Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojoski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Private students Reply with quote

Is this illegal beyond the tax issue? There are few jobs in China that can satisfy my financial needs, so one alternative that has occured to me is a job with a light workload so there is more time for private students. Is the climate adverse to this in China? I'm used to Poland, where the grey economy is well accepted, and you have to fight off high paying private students with a stick, so you have a little free time.
The Ever-changing Cleric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contracts used to prohibit outside work (some may still), but the one i just signed no longer does, it merely states that outside work isn't encouraged and that any events surrounding outside work are the responsibility of the teacher (or smth like that).

people do outside teaching all the time here, foreigners and chinese teachers. and none of that money, at least I've never heard or seen of, is ever taxed.
cblack76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on what to charge for privates? I heard no less than 200 RMB...
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your contact states 'no outside work' you can do it provided you don't rub the school's nose in it.
A lot of Chinese teachers run home schools for extra cash over summer and an FT doing privates might be taking some of that business away.
I came by some of my better outside students from the FAO via a quick word in the corridor. The same FAO which would have had to enforce the contract terms if put under pressure.
I've heard of up to 250RMB per hour in Beijing with students coming to teacher's apartment i.e no travel.
I find private students very 'resource-hungry' in that what would take a 30-student oral class an hour to work through, will be completed by a private in 15 minutes. 'So what's next Teach?'
The Ever-changing Cleric

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the same lesson material, a class of one will always take less time than a class of 30. I'd say its not that private students are more resource hungry, its because you can spend more time focusing on one individual and less time managing an entire class, meaning you're going to finish the private lesson sooner.

But if its oral english, those private lessons often stray off topic/off lesson (talking about whatever comes to mind) anyway, and the time's up before you know it. That was my experience anyway.
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're being paid by the hour I'm not sure that finishing early is going to help.
I like the restaurant ones where it is just an English environment you are providing and the student is likely as not 'big noting' it in front of his acquaintances.
Like EC Cleric any general drift conversation type lessons are good. I liked to take the adult students for a walk through the uni campus and encourage them to talk about their time in school. Familiar topics get the juices flowing and you can then introduce more complex or unfamiliar subjects.
The Ever-changing Cleric

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dialogger wrote:
If you're being paid by the hour I'm not sure that finishing early is going to help.
I like the restaurant ones where it is just an English environment you are providing and the student is likely as not 'big noting' it in front of his acquaintances.
Like EC Cleric any general drift conversation type lessons are good. I liked to take the adult students for a walk through the uni campus and encourage them to talk about their time in school. Familiar topics get the juices flowing and you can then introduce more complex or unfamiliar subjects.

never finish a planned lesson too early of course, that's why (depending on the student) its good to bring extra material as filler stuff. if they're adults, businessmen who travel for example, then some notes on current events would be a good choice.
alter ego

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Private students Reply with quote

Mojoski wrote:
There are few jobs in China that can satisfy my financial needs, so one alternative that has occured to me is a job with a light workload so there is more time for private students.

This idea has occured to many of us out here in TEFL land. I suggest teaching at a uni, college, or polytechnic and doing outside teaching to satisfy those financial cravings. Some teachers I know do privates, but most of them do part-time classes for small training companies, hotels, and language schools. I teach the staff at a local international hotel and make 200 rmb per hour, cash paid after every class. If you know how to give a fun and dynamic demo you can write your own ticket, at least in the big Chinese city where I live.
englishgibson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had a share of private students in china, some that've come along on their own and some that i've had to suggest the option. as for the tuition fees, it depends on what location you are in, or who you tutor. china's a huge country with a great gap in between rich and poor and areas of the country have some varieties of income levels as well. your strategy whom you want to tutor, a rich or poor may also have a factor on how much you can get out of it. personally, i wouldn't tutor a spoiled rich brat 'cause her parents want her to join a western uni and that even if they offered a thousand quai per hour. Smile

expanding on how much to charge a private student, i'd say that the length of course/tuition matters, or should matter. if your student is up only for a few lessons to get ready for a proficiency exam, you might want to charge a bit more than the one who wishes to stay on for a long period of time. by the way, i hate the ones who come for "an hour" to just see how it goes, but that's life and that's their right as they want to get to know you/your teaching style. in this case, keep in mind that these kinda might want to assess your performance and their progress instantly. i'd charge these kinda arm and a leg.

yes, it's essential to lay out a plan from the beginning of these kinda private courses, although i have tutored a middle school girl for 4 years and we've had mostly "oral english" classes where she's just wanted to discuss varieties of topics. my focus with her was on handling social exchanges well and fast and she has progressed greatly as we've had chances to talk about so many things.

Quote:
Is this illegal beyond the tax issue?
not an easy question to answer, but i assume that if you accept any income without owning a biz license or without having a "sponsor", a company, you might just be a part of underground economy (even in china). then, if you accept an income of 4,800 yuan per month which is that tax bracket for foreigners and you don't pay your dues, you will break the laws. yes, biz people have their ways and expenses to write off, but again, you do not have a license.

on the other note, i am going for it and more than ever as the recent situation in china has changed so much. there are more and more unsatisfactory job positions for fts and i question any academic purpose we have in these gigs, never mind the chinese contractual agreements or working environment. however, let's be aware that there's a tremendous effort from public schools around to discredit our presence in the country!

cheers and beers to helping chinese learn english the right way Smile
Hansen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EG,

Off topic, but what is this about public school educators wanting to discredit FTs?

"My" school is cutting back on English classes and the Chinese English teachers are seeing their hours diminished, which cuts into their pay. Naturally, I can undertand why they would resent that. Are there other issues?
englishgibson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's a public school, they're on salary. if the chinese english teachers' work load decreases, there are probably other subjects to be taught more often. schools' trend may as well reflect their goals, directions for exams etc. chinese teachers' resentment may come in a form of the loss of opportunities as well as in a form of the belief that they can do their job in the same way or better than us.

however, and as you've mentioned "other issues", there are directives from local/centeral government offices where chinese english teachers are to take control of the english langauge education around the country. so, we're only the "fillers" and "a draw" to classrooms and their acadmic programs. in some chinese unis, it means that they get that much wanted student exhange programs where chinese uni students are offered a quick western uni MBA and a year abroad...a deffinite draw for parents in china. high schools are not the same story as fts aren't so welcome. brainwashing is in progress there. Wink

cheers and beers to private students and tutoring that "resets" their way of thinking Smile
Orrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.zhuhainights.com and check out the "Delta EFL Network" group. I have a rather long post there that discusses the issue of private students in great detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: