Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American wants to teach English in France! Help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spunkycatt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: American wants to teach English in France! Help! Reply with quote

Greetings and good morning everyone! My name is Cathy and I am about to graduate with a Bachelors in Communications. I am planning on getting a teaching english overseas certificate so that I can go to France and find a teaching job there.

I am vietnamese-american, so I would not know how I would get an EU citizenship.

I honestly do not even know where to begin to make this dream of mine become a reality. I have so many questions racked up right now:

1) If I plan to teach English in France, would I be able to get a certificate here in the US or would I have to go to France's program?
2) How difficult is it to get an EU citizenship? (I do not want to work illegally.)
3) How difficult is it to get a teaching job in France?

Anyway, if anyone could help..guide me in the right direction, I would appreciate ten fold. =) Have a wonderful day!

-Cathy Ly

Feel free to email me at [email protected]
mdk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Catt,

I think you have a challenge ahead of you my dear. Still....

Why don't you have a look around for something called L'alliance Francaise. I know they have an office in San Francisco. Their job is to help people find out about the sorts of questions you ask.

In my own case I dropped in from the street with some questions about the Camargue and they were very helpful.

Alternatively, why not head off to France and have a look for yourself. Nothing like a little first hand research. You can probably still get a decent fare and be over there landing at CDG before you can say Jack Robinson. Take the train to Gare du Nord and you can go hang out at the Luxembourg gardens or the botanical gardens - both excellent places to be.

August is a bad time to ask around, but in September you could drop in on some language schools and get your info from the horses mouth.

Finally, have you read "Me talk pretty someday" by David Sedaris? If he can live in France why can't you?
Spunkycatt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my favorite books of all time! Maybe I should read that book again...see what I can learn from good old David Sedaris =)

Maybe I'll go to San Francisco sometime this month and ask them about it. Good excuse to get out of this Arizona heat...

The other day, I found this program that offers Americans a teaching assistant position in France...I might actually do that and then figure out the TEFL certificates/qualifications once I am physically there.

I am 22 years old...I feel like if there's anytime to do something new, something exciting...this is the time! I crave excitement and new experiences right now.
mdk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am 22 years old...

I felt exactly the same way when I was 22 and in those days Russia and the west were making horrible faces at each other with ICBM's. It was unthinkable that I would ever be able to teach in Russia. That was, what, 1967.

The important thing is to take the long view. If it is hard to get a teaching job in France today, then keep your eyes open and keep learning French.

Sooner or later...

Maybe you could get a job in Quebec?
medusa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spunky Catt,

MDK has given you some pretty good advice so far. Yes, August is the worst time ever to contact any French company or structure regardless of the quiery. Teaching assitant positions do exist and there are quite a few posts about them on this site. However, at this time of the year they are all taken for the next academic year, unless of course there are any last minute drop outs. However, if that is the case, the schools and Uni's often search locally.

Don't worry about a TEFL for assistantships. Most French organisations don't recognise it anyway. Basically, if you are a native speaker and you have an equivalent of a Licence (three years after high school) in English, most French places will accept you. NB: This is also valid for 'vacataire' positions, or supply teachers but without the legal right to work you will be stuck.
Your best bet is to apply for the teaching assistant job for the next year and plan in advance. That way you work here all above board and can also take some private classes to boost your salary.

Good luck with your search! and I imagine you do need to escape the Arizona heat...my brother lived in Peoria for many years, and I always avoided the summer....
go2guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is experiencing a BOOM in (English) language teaching activity. If you're a native speaker with personality, savvy and a willingness to follow through on leads and opportunities you will do just fine. Good luck to all aspiring job seekers. (Possessing TESOL/TEFL certificates/diplomas never hurts, as there are certain occasions where the French admin monsters will require this sort of documentation.)
fancynan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great to hear. I am just itching to get over there and get started. Unfortunately, I have to wait until January. I'll do my 4 week course there and then hit the streets! After almost 2 years of researching this, I am finally ready to get going. I received lots of good info, especially early on from you, "go2". Thanks!
mdk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimes is very nice and you can stay at the local AYH hostel for about 15 euros a night while you look around.
go2guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, Fancynan. I remember your earlier posts ... it's been a while. Not to worry, good things come to those ...!

Info for all: One of the longest running language schools in the Lyon area has just shut down. Speculation is rampant as to why, but the result is a vastly increased amount of work for other service providers. Everyone is scrambling to find personnel to meet the demand of company course "scraps" from EI.

Have a nice summer all - see you at the "Rentree"!
forest1979

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go2guy - You mention about France experiencing a TEFL boom and then in a following post mention how one of the most established language schools in a provincial capital is closing....contradiction?
go2guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would seem, forest1979, but as I understand the situation the demise of this one school had less to do with the actual market than some internal management issues (ie personal stuff on the part of the owner). I know that they had a significant customer base, because I'm receiving the "fall-out" proceeds. So, this was very much an exception - the boom definitely exists, and hopefully will continue!
forest1979

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily say there is a boom in France as newspapers like The Guardian have commented on the slow state of French education (in a general and specific sense) to engage with the English language. However, what is different about France from say other european nations is the government sponsored back-to-work scheme for unemployed people that includes language courses. Consequently there is a steady trade in the cities for people who have lost their job, or are between jobs, to take language classes. If I am right the government language courses are for 60 hour periods, and are very heavily subsidised which makes it a very attractive offer to those wanting to do something prior to getting back to work.
go2guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in France ... there's a boom (including, but not limited to, government sponsored back-to-work programs). I'll leave it at that.
forest1979

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go2guy - Do you have any evidence to substantiate your claim of a boom. I was ready this outside of France, and was intending to come given reading of a TEFL boom, I would not be a happy camper to arrive and find the TEFL industry in full swing.
forest1979

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go2guy - Sorry, bad English on my part!!

What I should have said was if I were reading this outside of France, and saw your claim of a TEFL boom, and upon arriving in France found anything less I would not be happy. Do you have any evidence to substantiate your comment of a TEFL boom? This would be very useful to anyone else reading this thread, especially those maybe looking to come to France in the near future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: