Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toiletries, food and appliances in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoteric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Toiletries, food and appliances in Cairo Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Moving to Cairo soon and wondering if you can answer a few questions re: toiletries, food and appliances.

Please bear with me if some of these things are easy to obtain, but I have no idea what's on offer. Also, there's really no rhyme nor reason to the order of the list, items are presented in order of remembrance.

More items to be added as and when!

1. Mouthwash
2. Artificial Sweetener (splenda, et al)
3. Steamer (for veggies)
4. Toaster
5. Coffeemaker
6. Bubblebath
7. Peanut Butter

Also, I was planning to Paypal money between accounts (Egypt to America), but Paypal is not on offer in Egypt.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer some of these questions. Taking small electrical appliances can be problematic because of having to run on a converter. Most everything is available there, but pricey. You might pick up a stovetop or microwave steamer as that might be uncommon.

You may have to do a bit of searching as each store will have different things at different times. The same with food, if you absolutely must have X brand of mouthwash, bubble bath or peanut butter, you may have trouble finding it... or never find it. What you learn to do is to buy up a supply if you find a brand you like... because next time you go, the brand will be different.

Shopping can be a very different experience there. Laughing

I can't answer the Paypal question as my employer there directly deposited my dollar pay into my account in the US and my EP pay into my Egypt account.

VS
Esoteric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered with brands, I just want to know that my favorite things are going to be available!

I think I might have to slip my steamer into my luggage, I can't live without my steamed veggies!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that running it on a converter will completely change the timings... and forgetting the converter will burn it up in seconds. (don't ask how I know this...)

Of course, you will probably get there and they are everywhere... I just don't recall seeing one, but I wasn't looking. Laughing

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second VS-buy those appliances there. As for the veggie steamer...I can't say for sure that's it's not available. I would guess if you found one there, you'd pay a good bit of money.

Peanut Butter tends to be Jif or Peter Pan, so if you've got mad love for the natural stuff, I think you'll be at a loss. Goods like that tend to cost most money, and are only consistently available at certain shops. If you like Peter Pan and see it being sold, it's not a bad idea to buy a few. The stock is not always consistent in the grocery stores.

I would suspect Paypal is not available in Egypt for a specific reason deemed by the govt. I sent money bank to bank in Egypt (wasn't too pricey). Is your new employer paying you in a non-Egyptian currency?
lemonsong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

You can easily get a veggie steamer at one of the major stores - I was recently looking at one in Spinney's, at City Stars Mall. The price wasn't too high, as I remember.

Mouthwash - no problem - I get Listerine easily and there are lots of others at half the price if you're on a budget.

Peanut butter here is usually Yuk but you may be able to get a recognisable brand now the bigger stores are expanding their range. Carrefour might be the place for that.

In fact, I'd recommend getting most everything here once you arrive and use the saved luggage space for books (horrendously expensive!) and, if you have to have them, favourite movies on DVD (also expensive.)

One thing that happened to us that was almost disastrous - when we got our shipping some kind soul had ripped out the hard drives from our comp. so I'd now always recommend that you bring those over in your hand luggage. Our shipper said it was a fairly common occurrence (lucky I back up EVERYTHING on CD so it was just an irritation rather thanm major disaster.....)

Which part of Cairo are you going to?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know, Lemonsong. I often wondered how Carre Four Egypt compared to Carre Four in the UAe, which carried loads of foreign goods. Where do many of the items come from (appliances and such)?
lemonsong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stuff here comes from China (where else?) but you can get US goods and European, too.

What I really like about Carrefour is the range of imported foods, especially the cheeses (yum!) and some of the real French stuff which makes putting up with the crowds worthwhile.

I just came back from Spinneys superstore in Citystars and looked for steamers while I was there - there's a Braun steamer there, very expensive at something like 70 USD but a lot of others which would do the same job for a lot less.

Call me nuts but I usually go for the more expensive stuff on the principle that you get what you pay for.

Main reason for shopping was to get more memory for our cameras - off to Kenya this week! I'll email you some of the better pics - just remember to nag me next month, okay?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still amazed (though I shouldn't be) that Spinneys and Carre Four made their way into Egypt. You're right to spend the money on better appliances. They cheaper ones always seemed to be more likely fire hazards. Can't wait to see the pics of Kenya!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: