Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop it!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FGT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Stop it! Reply with quote

I think we should all lay off Ghost. If he's learned the hard way that either Turkey or TEFL isn't for him I think we should be supporting him, not belittling him. It's better for any individual to attempt something new and to learn from the experience - even if only about oneself - and to then move on as a slightly older and certainly wiser person as a result.

Personally, I'm sorry that Ghost hasn't found as much to enjoy here as the rest of us. I think it's possible that he could have a far more enjoyable experience in a different type of school or maybe a different city, but it may be too late for him - he may have lost the will to try.

We all (I think) know that Turkey is anything but perfect, but for most of us, the good outways the bad. I'm sorry this isn't the case for Ghost.

Ghost, if you're reading this, good luck with your life. If you come to Izmir get in touch.
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: New contract Reply with quote

A new contract has been signed (Dec. 5 2003-May 10 2004) in one of Turkey's most famous University towns. The pay will be at the normal rates for language teachers in language schools in Turkey already mentioned on this forum. The work will be in a 'Dil Merkezi' (language school) where over 90% of the students are from the local Universities, so in effect it will be like teaching University in Turkey without the increased status of actually teaching there. Two Britons, one South African and one Canadian will complete the ranks on the teaching staff there.

All the feedback is ok...after all this is an open forum. Teachers need to be aware, though, of what is going on in Turkey. Preparation and discourse prior to signing a contract is wise, since once a teacher is actually here it will be difficult for her/him to back out or embark on Plan B.

A teacher who has invested heavily in the language training for the past few months would feel bad about leaving so soon. But May (at the latest) will be 'allah Ismar...... T�rkiye' (good bye Turkey). Life is too short.

Last edited by ghost on Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you about laying off ghost-- not that I think he should be hounded to death- because this is a forum and he has laid out all his problems for us to see and comment on. I disagree with some things he has said and have agreed with others. I would hope that I am allowed to voice my opinion.

I still think he hasn't given Turkey a chance and is judging it far too harshly based on a few hyped up experiences over a short period of time.

Ghost: Live and learn, dear fellow, and let the good come with the bad as it inevitably will. I am baffled by your negative view of everything Turkish because my experience has been so varied- amazing and horrible things have happened to me here... and in every other country I've lived in. Life is what you make of it. Are you happier in Eskişehir now that you aren't wrestling rich kids and being hounded by tourist touts? Maybe you just got off on the wrong foot.... I wish you luck, regardless.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: ghostly presence Reply with quote

Yaramaz is right

Ghost has had the courage to do what many do not. He has painted the negative side as he experienced it - from his days in Whitby, through the Dominican Republic to his nasty experiences in Turkey.

Teaching adults might be better. Going for something different might be better. He (she ?) has to choose that path. His story is a familiar one . How many people who take their first job in EFL are still tefling five years later ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: