Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumbs Up for Brunei !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celtica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is strictly illegal to work on a dependent visa and an even more serious offence to work on a tourist visa

Quote:
Not particularly useful to talk about possible work in light of the above

jsteventon's reply sounds exactly like the words the cfbt office would use if they were commenting here. Formal, direct, follow the rules comment
jsteventon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: working spouse Reply with quote

Hi Celtica,

I am not in the CfBT office, if that is what you are implying. Just that as working on a tourist or dependent visa is illegal, I think it is useful for folks to realise the implications before deciding to come with a spouse who might really want to work. Better to be informed before coming out to Brunei surely.

Not sure what is wrong with stating it how it is - these are not simply 'rules,' they are laws with serious consequences if flouted.

Mind you, there are many non-working spouses here who really enjoy their lifestyle. Plenty to do with the leisure time!

JS
celtica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned for the people who may want to work, why don't you supply a balanced and informed reply mentioning the fact that a number of spouses do successfully find legal work with visa?

the number who do study first then find legal work with visa? the ones who are employed at the International schools in special positions with the acceptance of Immigration? the ones who work in other Educational Institutions and are supplied with visa? in medicine...with visa....

it has been suggested elsewhere in this forum by others that you may be a mouthpiece for the cfbt office ......it is not necessarily my view.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: spouse working question Reply with quote

My comments were actually just a follow-up to those of Zootalaws who stated that most dependent spouses were on tourist visas and whose post pointed out at length how difficult it is to obtain legal work.

JS
ironopolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the visa situation for teachers (particularly CfBT teachers) in Brunei?

The impression I have is that the visa is tied to the job and is valid only as long your present contract. So every time you renew your contract, you have to renew your (and any dependents') visa accordingly. And when your job is finished, then your visa is too. Have I got all that right?

How about for teachers in Brunei fairly long term? Is it possible to move to some kind of more favourable visa status after you have been there a certain number of years? I remember when I was in Japan that after you'd renewed your 1 year visa a couple of times, and were in what Immigration thought was fairly stable employment, they would renew you for 3 years instead of just 1. Anything like that in Brunei?

And how about permanent residence? Is that feasible for long term expats who are not married to a Bruneian? I think in Hong Kong your were eligible to apply for PR after 7 continuous years there and in Japan it was 10 years. How about Brunei?
lacsap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding visas in Brunei, yes, your visas and those of your dependents is strictly attached to the job. When that ends, so does your visa. CFBT contracts are for either one or two years and so visas need to be renewed accordingly. CFBT do this for you, but it has become a fairly lengthy process in recent years, and often the visa expires before the end of your contract, particularly when it is a 2 year contract, so has to be done again during the contract. Permanent residence is theoretically possible, but would require something like 20 years residence and I don't know of anyone who has ever done it. The bureaucracy involved would without doubt be a nightmare.
The rules on spouses working have been tightened up greatly in the last couple of years and it is illegal to work on a dependent visa. Many do, but in doing so jeopardise their status and that of their spouse on the working visa. The spouse can get a job but would have to have a working visa in their own right and in the classic catch 22 cannot get a visa without a job offer. Some spouses get jobs in one of the international schools but outside of teaching, opportunities are limited.
ironopolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your reply, lacsap, and for confirming what I thought was the case about the length of working visas. And that situation remains the same however long you're in Brunei, right?

lacsap wrote:
Permanent residence is theoretically possible, but would require something like 20 years residence and I don't know of anyone who has ever done it.

I'm guessing from what you're saying here that the precise hows and how longs of obtaining PR in Brunei are pretty unclear. Would I be right in thinking that when you say "something like 20 years" your thoughts have been along the lines of
I know a few people who've been here ages
+
I don't know anyone who's got PR
=
It must take a hell of a long time to get it.

You said you've never known anyone get PR. Have you ever known anyone to be interested in doing so?

I had actually searched pretty damn hard myself for some answers about PR in Brunei. Whereas for many other countries it's not too hard to track down what is obviously the right answer, for Brunei even the wrong answer didn't seem to be around anywhere and I found virtually nothing on PR for foreigners with no marital ties to the country, even on Bruneian government websites. The best I found there was some vague reference to it being possible for foreigners who contribute to the development of the country, or some similarly vague phrase. The only other thing I dug up was a claim that you could get PR after working in Brunei continuously for 15 years, but I think it was from some forum, not a particularly authoritative source of information.
celtica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little thought... outside, but not too far away from, the box....local Chinese (ie born and bred in Brunei) have to pass a Malay exam to get citizenship.

if you cannot find any information on the process.... right or wrong....that's probably a loud whisper on how often its desired/applied for/awarded...???

Been here more than ten years and never heard of ANYONE doing/having done it.
ironopolis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celtica wrote:

Been here more than ten years and never heard of ANYONE doing/having done it.

Ok, thanks for that bit. And in that 10 years how many people have you known/heard of that actually tried to get, or were even just interested in getting, PR?
celtica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.

Why would you want to?
ironopolis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celtica wrote:
None.

Ok, thanks. I had expected that was going to be your answer, but cheers anyway for taking the trouble to confirm it.

celtica wrote:
Why would you want to?

Sorry, but why do you ask? Is it because you genuinely can't think of any reason why someone teaching long term in another country might be interested in being able to remain in that country beyond their term of employment there?

Or is this meant as a rhetorical question, perhaps suggesting that Brunei is not a place that you could imagine any ESL teacher wanting to remain in any longer than they had to, or for any reason other than working there?
BellaBrunei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: PR Reply with quote

To weigh in on the PR thing- Brunei is a great place to live and work. However, I feel that it's pretty clear that we (ESL teachers) are intended to be here as guest professionals rather than long term migrants. From my observations, Brunei doesn't really seem to have much of a culture of seeking out the western migrants (e.g. buying retirement properties) the way countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines have. My thought is that ultimately, the state pays for all citizens' basic needs (housing/ health/ education) and maybe it's not in the state's best interest to pay for more people than it needs to.

I know one local born Chinese, 3rd generation, who was able to transfer from red IC to yellow IC but she had to pass several tests in language and culture before she was able to.

If I were thinking of retiring on Borneo, I would look at the 'Malaysia my second home' scheme after I had saved enough in Brunei and maybe buy in Sabah or Sarawak.

What particular benefits would being PR in Brunei bring? I can think of being able to buy property, start a business without a local partner and change employment at will- what else?
celtica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or is this meant as a rhetorical question, perhaps suggesting that Brunei is not a place that you could imagine any ESL teacher wanting to remain in any longer than they had to, or for any reason other than working there?

Definitely.

BB put some very interesting points very politely.
ironopolis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: PR Reply with quote

BellaBrunei wrote:

If I were thinking of retiring on Borneo, I would look at the 'Malaysia my second home' scheme after I had saved enough in Brunei and maybe buy in Sabah or Sarawak.

Thanks very much for your reply, BB. The MM2H scheme is something I was aware of and have had a look into, and that was partly behind my asking about PR in Brunei. I was wondering if there was anything similar. I do understand what you're saying about Brunei perhaps not being as enthuastic as Malaysia and other countries about attracting expat retirees, and the reasons you mention do indeed make sense.

BellaBrunei wrote:
What particular benefits would being PR in Brunei bring? I can think of being able to buy property, start a business without a local partner and change employment at will- what else?

Well, if you've already been there for say, 10+ years, have enough money to not need to work any more, were settled there as regards your personal friendships etc and maybe had your kids in local schools, you might prefer to be able to stay where you are, rather than have to up sticks once your job is finished. Of course, I expect that obtaining PR would be difficult and require a number of hurdles to be passed. That's the case in lots of countries and is surely as it should be.

I think expats teaching ESL overseas fall into many different categories. I know some (perhaps many) feel no particular strong ties at all to the place they're in or its people and tend to move in pretty much exclusively expat only circles. Nothing wrong with that, but others situations will be different.

Personally, I don't even know yet if I'd want to move to Brunei in the first place, let alone apply for PR there. It's just one of a number of longer term aspects that I'm trying to get an idea of how the land lies on. Thanks again for everyone's input above.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Social scene Reply with quote

Looking back over this thread.....

It seems like Brunei is very appealing to Married folk with kids for obvious reasons.

Goes without saying that if your fave weekend activity is nightclubbing you are in the wrong place, and those of us who enjoy going to bars would have to make some sacrifices.

So how do the single blokes like it and what do you get up to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: