Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questons re. TEFL in Marrakech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meanjean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Questons re. TEFL in Marrakech Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for information re. teaching opportunities in Marrakech. I have an MFA in creative writing, and plan on entering a TEFL program in Boston in the late spring. I will be visiting family and friends early-mid summer in Turkey and then would like to continue on to a job in Morocco, specifically Marrakech. I am interested in learning what universities/language schools are located in Marrakech, and also about opportunities to teach children. I'd like to know if there is a "school year" or semester system and their dates. If anyone is actually living/teaching in Marrakech, I'd love to hear basically what the city is like, living conditions and costs, ex-pat communities, indigenous community, exploring the Atlas Mountains. A brief description of a typical teaching post would be great, i.e., how many hours/classes per day and week, and something about the environment(s). I am also wondering if opportunities to teach poetry/literature or poetry writing in English ever become available.

Thank you.
[/list]
Zajko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Language Center in Gueliz in the heart of the new city is your best bet - check out

http://marrakesh.aca.org.ma/

Good facilities (library etc), decent pay and conditions, short semesters running all through the year. They had about 30 teachers last time I dropped by and the director seemed like a decent guy. PM me if you want his email address and I'll try to dig it out for you.

Marrakech itself is a truly great city - one of the very best to live and work in anywhere. Nowhere else quite like it. Excellent base for exploring the Atlas and the desert to the south as well.

Re your query about other opportunities for teaching literature etc - whilst I wouldn't hold out too much hope, it might be worth approaching the university there with the qualifications you mentioned you've got. Once you're established there and have the necessary legal/work status they might be prepared to consider you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: