Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Marrakesh/Casa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasisdweller,
I know that children are exempt from Ramadan. My point was that these people seem to have no problem bringing their kids to Western fast food franchises, where fasting teenager employees have the onerous task of serving these spoiled brats their Happy Meals ... but it's seemingly understandable that a Westerner can be rebuked in what I consider a loathsome manner because she drinks water during the day?

I hope those that do spit on visitors - guests - to their country accidentally swallow some of their own saliva thereby breaking their fast.

By the way, last year there were documented cases of diabetic Muslims who voluntarily abstained from taking insulin while they fasted. Can you say renal failure?
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people delight in attempting to find exceptions, even if they do border on the ridiculous. In these allegedly documented cases of diabetics who refrained from insulin during the fast, was their renal failure also documented?
btw, sick people are also exempt from the fast. As are travelers and pregnant ladies and even those OTR. Believers are supposed to make up for those days they missed fasting at some other time during the year. However, nobody wants to fast alone, so they prefer to fast when others are fasting.
Why shouldn't a parent bring their kid to a McDs during the fast? It's easier for them than than cooking, provides a few minutes of distraction for their kids, and a couple minutes rest for them. As far as the employees, they are not slaves, they chose to work there knowing that food was the main product and food would be served during Ramadan when they are, if they are good Muslims, likely fasting.
I stand by my opinion that the travelers openly swigging water in public during Ramadan is culturally insensitive and rude. I don't think spitting is called for in any case, but as for the tourists, the age old maxim goes, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I always found it easier that way during Ramadan, puts you in the spirit. Life is too short to be grumbling and moaning all the time.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand all the medical jargon being traded here....
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...as for the tourists, the age old maxim goes, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. "

I would agree with you if I were in Saudi.

But I guess as a legal resident of this country - along with those who were spat upon, I might add - perhaps I should do as the Romans do. Which includes wearing a veil, throwing garbage on the street, tearing through red lights, disregarding crosswalks, harassing women, drive up along and/or park on sidewalks, speed recklessly, throw rocks at stray animals ...
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When in Rome, do as the Romans.".

What a load of old tosh.

My cousin is emigrating to the Sudan with her one and three year old daughters. She has no intention of 'doing as the' and having them circumcised.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I guess as a legal resident of this country - along with those who were spat upon, I might add - perhaps I should do as the Romans do. Which includes wearing a veil, throwing garbage on the street, tearing through red lights, disregarding crosswalks, harassing women, drive up along and/or park on sidewalks, speed recklessly, throw rocks at stray animals

Now you are being utterly ridiculous as well as spreading misinformation.
Not all Moroccan women wear veils, probably not even 25% of them do. Certainly tossing garbage on the street is not something that all Moroccan people do either. Tearing through red lights - there are bad drivers everywhere even in the US who run red lights - hence all the detection devices across the country. Disregarding crosswalks - have you been to Phoenix, AZ by any chance? It's a sport here. Harassing women - Morocco is your first African country, obviously. Drive up along and/or park on sidewalks - did you know Morocco was a French protectorate? Speed recklessly - universal. Throw rocks as stray animals - I think you need to grasp an understanding of the culture before YOU throw any more stones. Dogs are considered dirty in the Koran. Moroccan people don't usually grow up with dogs for pets, only as guard animals. If you only know something as menacing and dirty, you aren't exactly going to embrace it.
Not all Moroccans do these things. If you don't like Morocco, and can't accept its culture, it would probably be best for you to find one that you can accept.
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oasisdweller"]
Quote:
Tearing through red lights - there are bad drivers everywhere even in the US who run red lights

Now that doesn't surprise me. I believe that driving is absolutely shocking in the US. Snipers firing from car boots and all that stuff too. I don't think that Urban Kitten was contrasting Morocco to the US when she talked about "tearing through red lights". I see this happening several, nae, many times a day in Morocco. In fact, there is hardly a red light that someone doesn't drive or attempt to drive through. Morocco does have one of the world's worst road accident records.

Oasisdweller, how long have you lived here and how extensively have you travelled around?
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasisdweller: I have lived here for 2 years, and before that I lived & worked in Egypt and Sudan. So I guess that makes 3 Muslim countries not that I have to justify my credentials to you. Did I say that all Moroccan women wear the veil ... I don't think I did. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't. As for everything else I mentioned, I have witnessed them all first-hand on more occasions than I care to count - today's gem was a nasty collision produced by a driver careening through - wait for it - a red light.

Please don't tell me what's in the Koran - I've read it. I know about the status of the dog. I have also seen cats kicked and attacked (today as a matter of fact) - and we all know that Muhammed had a soft spot for felines - as well as rats. Donkeys are particularly maligned here.

"Did you know Morocco was a French protectorate?"

So what? How is that relevant to anything I said?

If I didn't know better and I'm not going to make erroneous judgements about you as you did me, I would swear that you came to Morocco on holiday and had a great time haggling for carpets in the medina.

I stand by my comments.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your words don't reflect any understanding of the Koran, life in Arab countries, etc. I remain unimpressed.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it's a good thing that I am not trying to impress you.
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again...

Oasisdweller, how long have you lived here and how extensively have you travelled around?
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this discussion gets locked, I'd like to arrange a big Maroc hug and say welcome back to Africaexpert. You came, you left, you came back again and still never answered a question.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very hard to believe you lived in three Muslim countries yet acquired no sensitivity towards Muslims. How long did you "live" in them?
To satisfy steady nagging, I spent the better part of a decade in Africa, mostly Northern Africa, but also Niger, Togo and a brief stint in Tanzania.
steady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. Not able to live up to her chosen name, Africaexpert eventually retreated to palms with a reflective pond. Unfortunately, that opportunity served no other purpose than a narcissistic one. Indeed, welcome back.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you anything positive to contribute to this forum, steady, or are you just a troll with nothing better to do than insult others?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: