Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters degree in Special Education

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ViaSwiss



Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Masters degree in Special Education Reply with quote

Is a masters degree in special education coveted? Would I be able to get a University or International School gig with this degree? I also have teaching licenses in psychology, sociology, history, geography, and special education.

If the answer is yes... what areas are the best for Uni/International gigs? Is it still Korea? And how much better is a Uni job exactly compared to primary school?

Thanks! Been a while since I've been in the ESL game.

edit: Just to clarify, I would not be looking for a Special Ed. job. Just was curious if it is as valuable as a Masters in (general) Education or TEFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rtm



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 615
Location: US

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Masters degree in Special Education Reply with quote

ViaSwiss wrote:
Is a masters degree in special education coveted? Would I be able to get a University or International School gig with this degree? I also have teaching licenses in psychology, sociology, history, geography, and special education.

A university or international school job teaching what? For ESL/EFL, no, neither your masters in special education nor your school teaching licenses would be useful, as they are not related to ESL/EFL teaching.

Special education or any of the other subjects you have licenses in might be options at international schools, though it would likely also depend on how much experience you have teaching those subjects in your home country. This recent thread about special education abroad might be useful.

If your questions are about teaching something other than ESL/EFL, this probably isn't the best forum to ask on.


Last edited by rtm on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8998
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With licenses check out international schools. International schools review is a good website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ViaSwiss



Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Masters degree in Special Education Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
ViaSwiss wrote:
Is a masters degree in special education coveted? Would I be able to get a University or International School gig with this degree? I also have teaching licenses in psychology, sociology, history, geography, and special education.

A university or international school job teaching what? For ESL/EFL, no, neither your masters in special education nor your school teaching licenses would be useful, as they are not related to ESL/EFL teaching.

Special education or any of the other subjects you have licenses in might be options at international schools, though it would likely also depend on how much experience you have teaching those subjects in your home country. This recent thread about special education abroad might be useful.

If your questions are about teaching something other than ESL/EFL, this probably isn't the best forum to ask on.


Teaching ESL would be the first option, but I have heard that because I have multiple teaching licenses it would be marketable to also be able to teach those if needed.

So you are saying that having a Masters degree (special education) means that I will most likely not be marketable as a University teacher in Korea?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 4321
Location: Terra firma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViaSwiss wrote:
Just to clarify, I would not be looking for a Special Ed. job. Just was curious if it is as valuable as a Masters in (general) Education or TEFL.

....

Teaching ESL would be the first option, but I have heard that because I have multiple teaching licenses it would be marketable to also be able to teach those if needed.

So you are saying that having a Masters degree (special education) means that I will most likely not be marketable as a University teacher in Korea?

An MA in Special Ed + multiple licenses in content areas are specific to teaching children with special needs in k-12 learning environments and not for teaching EFL skills to non-disabled adults in higher education. Apples-n-oranges.

In terms of marketability, even though this MA would satisfy the requirement for some jobs that EFL teachers hold a degree (in any field), be aware that potential overseas university employers might be put off by the special ed component because it focuses on a subject that many likely consider to be a social/cultural stigma. And frankly, regardless of how great you are at teaching, your non-disabled, university EFL students may not appreciate having you as their teacher solely because of your degree major. They'd wonder why they were put in your class, as if something was "wrong" with them---that they've been labeled as having special learning needs. Put yourself in their shoes...in their cultural context.

Seriously, if you're not interested in special ed jobs in international or private schools, why are you considering this major?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC