Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Callan Experience - always negative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdmi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Callan Experience - always negative? Reply with quote

I've read a few things on here and other places saying that having experience of teaching Callan Method can be seen as a huge negative when applying for jobs in certain places (particularly Eastern Europe). Is this true?

I have about a year's experience (inc. some business English), a BA (not education related), CELTA and 6 months Callan experience (at The Callan School in London), which was a necessary job to take because I couldn't find anything else at that time in London and thought any teaching is better than none.

Does anyone have any experience of previous Callan experience negatively affecting them? Or any opinions from people involved in recruitment?

Cheers.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Callan is a bit like Berlitz. Some employers like it, others don't.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't say it will be a 'huge negative' on your CV for Central/Eastern Europe. Your CELTA and business English experience will be more important to prospective employers, and they may not count your time at Callan as highly as your business teaching, but it shouldn't be anything like a big blot on your record. Don't worry Very Happy
fdmi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

Now I only need to worry about the fact that I left a small part of my soul in a Callan classroom on Oxford street,
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, what did you think of Callan?
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callan is very popular in Eastern Europe. I would be willing to bet that the major reason employers are prejuduced against it is (as you know) that it requires none of the usual teaching skills - just teach to the method: fast pace, eye contact, body language, etc.

I have known a number of people who were entirely adequate Callan teachers, but could not teach conversation, business, etc. I would wager this has been the experience of Eastern European schools too.

That said, with your other qualifications, I don't think your Callan should count against you. I for one, hated teaching Callan, but now I'm glad I have the method as an extra string to my bow.

Good luck.
fdmi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
OP, what did you think of Callan?

As a teacher I hated it. I'd qualified from my CELTA and had about 6 months ("normal") experience prior to working there and hated it mostly because it was so strict. Going 'off-book' was discouraged, but I had to do it because it's in my nature to improvise. There are also the issues with the archaic, sometimes ridiculous language and some dodgy grammar in the books.

Also the structure of The Callan School in particular was hard to deal with, very long days (10.30-8.30 Mon - Fri) and very low pay.

It's great for students though, as far as I saw it does work, and I met some great students and teachers in my time there who are still friends. I don't regret doing it, but going back to regular teaching was such a relief.

Glad to hear the responses...might finally get out of the UK soon.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it for 7 weeks and that was enough. Bored the shit out of me.

I was often it the situation where you did a particular book / pages for a group, finish, next group came in and do exactly the same all over again.

Also, the books are outdated, with ridiculous questions that will never be needed. I once had a student who was missing for a few lessons, and when she came back, I asked how she was and where she had been. She couldn't answer me, but she could tell me that Napoleon was dead and that if you fell out of a top-story window and hit the ground, you would die!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: