Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I find good potential for savings right now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike E

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Where can I find good potential for savings right now? Reply with quote

Hello,
Apologies for re-raising what is surely a common topic, but I wonder if I can get people's current impressions about where I might look to find good potential for saving money by teaching overseas?
To fill in my qualifications, I have an M.Ed in ESL from an American university, TESOL certification through a 140-hour program at an American private language school, and have taught oral and business English in a Chinese university. I prefer teaching college/adults but am looking right now just to pay off school debt.
Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find good potential for savings right now? Reply with quote

Mike E wrote:
To fill in my qualifications, I have an M.Ed in ESL from an American university, TESOL certification through a 140-hour program at an American private language school, and have taught oral and business English in a Chinese university.

It would help to know the number of years of experience. However, if you have at least two years of experience gained after you got your M.Ed, then you can try for a direct-hire position in Saudi Arabia. Otherwise, look at the employment ads for KSA on the Cafe's job board. Three or more years of post-master's teaching experience might get you a position in Qatar or Kuwait. (I say 'might' because many Gulf employers aren't excited about TEFL experience gained in China.) Also, be aware that the governments of these three countries do not recognize degrees that included online coursework.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
toteach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money do you need to sock away each month?

I've found that it's rather easy to live on half of each paycheck in China and save the other half--even on a standard university gig. Have you looked into "international" schools here? They pay more and always seem to be hiring.
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find good potential for savings right now? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It would help to know the number of years of experience. However, if you have at least two years of experience gained after you got your M.Ed, then you can try for a direct-hire position in Saudi Arabia. Otherwise, look at the employment ads for KSA on the Cafe's job board. Three or more years of post-master's teaching experience might get you a position in Qatar or Kuwait. (I say 'might' because many Gulf employers aren't excited about TEFL experience gained in China.) Also, be aware that the governments of these three countries do not recognize degrees that included online coursework.

Unfortunately, no, I do not have two years of post-Master's teaching experience.
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toteach wrote:
How much money do you need to sock away each month?

I've found that it's rather easy to live on half of each paycheck in China and save the other half--even on a standard university gig. Have you looked into "international" schools here? They pay more and always seem to be hiring.

I too left China with a little more than 50% of my earnings, and that was without conscious effort at saving. However, that was 50% of a small salary in a minor city. And of course, coming away from a job in an expensive city having only saved a third of your earnings might leave pretty much the same amount in your pocket afterward.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find good potential for savings right now? Reply with quote

Mike E wrote:
Unfortunately, no, I do not have two years of post-Master's teaching experience.

Then if you're looking to get hired somewhere soon with the intent of socking aside most of your pay (and your M.Ed. didn't include online coursework), then a position with a Saudi contracting company is your best bet.

Check out the ads on the Cafe's job board and see which ones match your qualifications. Granted, these aren't the desirable direct-hire positions, but it ticks off your box for "good potential savings now." Of course, you'd have to decide if living in KSA's ultra-conservative society is something you can deal with.
faceofcircumstance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Middle East, I guess Saudi is the highest payer by and large, but for lifestyle Oman is best I think. A lot of college level hiring here with - admittedly - varying degrees of job satisfaction.
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very little of Oman, but Saudi Arabia does have a pretty high intimidation factor, so I will look into it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike E wrote:
I know very little of Oman, but Saudi Arabia does have a pretty high intimidation factor, so I will look into it.

The pay in Oman is the lowest of the GCC. Look for ads posted by TATI and Hawthorn on the Cafe's job board; they do a large share of the hiring (for now). If hired, however, you won't have any choice as to where they'll send you in Oman. Anyway, head to the Oman forum if interested.

Hmm... Saudi Arabia has a "high intimidation" factor? I'm a single female who managed KSA just fine, so...
SH_Panda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there many gigs teaching young learners in Oman or Kuwait?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH_Panda wrote:

Expat teachers teach the children of expats in international schools following the curriculum of their home country. For the most part, you'd need to hold a teaching license (relevant to your degree major) and have experience teaching in that subject. Take a look at Teach Away's site for info. Plus, individual schools typically post openings on their websites.

(See your thread: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1143317 )
toteach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH_Panda wrote:

Between Muscat and Marbella there are dozens of buildings with the words "Private School" on them in English. (Or so I discovered these past two weeks). I don't know if these are for Omani kids only, but it does seem that there are a LOT of schools that cater to the younger set. To find them on the internet would probably require you search in Arabic.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toteach wrote:
It does seem that there are a LOT of schools that cater to the younger set. To find them on the internet would probably require you search in Arabic.

Wikipedia lists quite a few international schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: