Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a good teaching job, but no teaching qualifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: I have a good teaching job, but no teaching qualifications Reply with quote

My career success has outstripped my qualifications.

Teaching is an unplanned, second profession for me. I qualified (MSc) as an electronics engineer and spent 20 years in the telecoms sector, rising to board level positions, before emigrating to Thailand some 12 years ago.

With time on my hands, I applied for the job of Homeroom teacher in an EP school. I got the job (based only on my maturity and unrelated MSc qualification), and progressed very rapidly from teaching primary grade through to adults, IELTS preparation and business English, before being promoted to VP of the school within 8 months of joining.

Then I accepted the position of interim Headmaster at a start-up international school in south-east Asia.

Now I've been offered (and accepted) the position of Homeroom teacher at another international/EP school in a neighbouring country.

So my career progress has been rapid. But as I approach 55 years old, I am concerned that my lack of formal, teaching qualifications will some day catch up with me, especially when an employer has to choose between me and a young teacher with relevant qualifications.

I applied to study the on-line PGCEi from Nottingham University. I was offered a place on the course but do not have the funds to pursue this option. (I have to self-fund, no access to loans).

Likewise, I was also offered a place on the Derby University on-line M.Ed, but my lack of funds also means that I cannot take up the offer.

So........ what qualifications might be more appropriate for me to obtain? I should comment that although I have been successful in teaching students of all ages, I prefer to teach primary aged children (Homeroom subjects). This is because I enjoy teaching the wide range of subjects from English through to Citizenship.

What qualification might I benefit from studying for if I wish to remain teaching primary grades? I'm thinking perhaps a TEYL or CELTA + TEYL.

But I'd appreciate your views and suggestions.

Simon
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
Now I've been offered (and accepted) the position of Homeroom teacher at another international/EP school in a neighbouring country. So my career progress has been rapid. But as I approach 55 years old, I am concerned that my lack of formal, teaching qualifications will some day catch up with me, especially when an employer has to choose between me and a young teacher with relevant qualifications.

I applied to study the on-line PGCEi from Nottingham University. I was offered a place on the course but do not have the funds to pursue this option. (I have to self-fund, no access to loans). Likewise, I was also offered a place on the Derby University on-line M.Ed, but my lack of funds also means that I cannot take up the offer.

What qualification might I benefit from studying for if I wish to remain teaching primary grades? I'm thinking perhaps a TEYL or CELTA + TEYL.

Unfortunately, both the TEYL and CELTA are entry-level teaching qualifications and aren't geared toward teachers who have been in the industry for years unless they're seeking a refresher course or need the cert in order to meet the requirement for a particular job or visa/work permit. Certainly go for the CELTA and TEYL if you've determined that it would help you in your new job as homeroom teacher and you intend to stay in that position for years to come until your age becomes a factor.

However, if you're looking at non-entry level positions, the indication of a CELTA and TEYL on your CV (so late in the game) would likely raise a red flag to employers. That is, your bigger problem is that prospective employers are likely to question why you didn't actively pursue a relevant academic qualification/degree during your career progression. Therefore, if a mid or higher-level position appeals to you and you don't want the added worry about age discrimination, I suggest you commit to socking aside some major money soon in order to fund that masters degree and/or post-grad teaching qualification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: