Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balkans? Does ANYONE teach there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDL999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Balkans? Does ANYONE teach there? Reply with quote

I am really surprised at the lack of responses for info on the Balkans. I'm looking for info on Albania inparticular and am beginning to wonder if anyone teaches English there at all!!

I realise that the pay isn't that of somewhere like Korea or Saudi Arabia, but surely there must be some teachers out there willing to share their experiences?

I'm looking for a reasonable standard of living (don't expect to save, but do expect to be able to afford an apartment with flush toilet!). Is this possible in the Balkans?

My priorities are too be able to afford to enjoy myself, to saviour a difficult culture and to be near enough to the UK for friends to visit.

Any advise would be most welcomed. (Beginning to think its a conspiracy to keep other teachers out of the Balkans cos the ones there already have it sooooo good!! LOL).

Tracey
mistael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read about the balkans is that to find a job, it's never over the phone or internet. I think you just have to go look. I too want to know what the job market is like for esl teachers..
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'saviour a difficult' did you really mean this??!!
ytuque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching in Serbia for 2 years now. I have had discussions with teachers who have worked in the Serbian parts of Bosnia and Kosovo. Still haven't been able to find anyone who has taught in Albania or the Albanian part of Kosovo.

It is unlikely that you can find a job from outside the Balkans without connections. Once here, there are quite a few possibilities, but keep in mind, the economy here is very weak.

There is also a very strong preference for British English at the universities and many language schools. However, most younger students seem to prefer the American version.

Without a degree, getting hired by a university or a reputable language school would be nearly impossible, but private lessons and other language schools could keep you going.

Let me know if you have any questions.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Corps. For UKanians - VSO.
ramble right

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: English Language Fellows Reply with quote

A friend of mine was offered an Albanian university position through English Language Fellows (http://elf.georgetown.edu/), sponsored by the good ol' US Department of State. 10-month contracts, MA TESOL required.

Apparently, Albanian TEFL jobs exist!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It exists and is controlled by the spooks from Langley, Virginia.
csfek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's controlled by Georgetown University.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of people teach English in the Balkans. Most of them are nationals of the country they are teaching in and busy working in three jobs to try to earn enough to live. Too busy teaching to post on a forum like this !
Adela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: does anybody teach in the balkans Reply with quote

I teach in Bosnia, town pop. is about 80,000. My furnished flat is modern and costs about 100 euros/mo. I'm working fulltime for peanuts but the cost of living here is not expensive. Found this job thru a TEFL school.

Send pm if you've got specific questions.
csfek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm teaching in Macedonia. Seems like most of the language teachers here are locals. Also, the native speaker teachers that I've met to seem to have gotten their jobs after getting here. It seems like you need to have contacts. I guess it's like that in a lot of places!
sheikxhoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Albania Reply with quote

I am retired from the US Dept of State and, first, the Teaching Fellows have nothing to do with the CIA. That is silly talk. Please note that the CIA does have a proper role with the knowledge of the host country in most places. It sometimes seems silly to hear what the general public says and thinks about those guys.

Second, the English fellows program is great but they want people with masters in ESL, linguistics, or similar qualifications. I suspect they attract academic types with their elite qualifications, but also people with little real world experience. Theyd on't really teach themselves, I think.

There are a lot more people who speak good English in Albania then in a lot of other places I've been. Few people speak Ship (Albanian) and so most people learn more than one language - usually Italian and English. There is a great hash house harrier group there - family friendly too - and lots of Albanians improve their English there. There are several English schools in Tirana but nothing like you see in Thailand or Vietnam, for example. Unlike so many other places people seem to have enough desire to learn Italian, English and sometimes Greek on their own and in their public schools without a lot of native speaker help. That is my observation - -
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience in or knowledge of teaching in Montenegro?
shutupjusttravel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. Does anybody have any further information on livng and working in Podgorica?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second, the English fellows program is great but they want people with masters in ESL, linguistics, or similar qualifications. I suspect they attract academic types with their elite qualifications, but also people with little real world experience.

I have an MA TESL/TEFL from an upscale British uni - and 12+ year of hands-on experience teaching language. What about post-grad quals indicates that their holders don't have 'real world experience?' I beg to differ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: