Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel to Jordan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Travel to Jordan Reply with quote

My TOUR through Egypt/Jordan was recently cancelled (not enough people), so I am now frantically doing tons of research so I can go ahead and do this trip on my own.

QUESTION

I"Fast Ferry" from Nuweiba to Aqaba - From what I hear, I need to allow a lot of time for this: daytrip by bus from Cairo to Nuweiba (which arrives too late to catch the Ferry), then stay overnight in Nuweiba, buy a ticket for the 2pm "Fast Ferry" the next day, which won't leave until many hours later, making it again impossible for me to continue on to either Wadi Rum or Petra when I arrive in Jordan. I assume I need to overnight in Aqaba as well.

Can anyone tell me whether my 'assumptions' are accurate, and point me in the right direction re cheap hotels in Nuweiba and Aqaba if necessary? The initial reason I booked a 'tour' was to avoid this kind of hassle - it's a 'vacation' after all! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Lonely Planet Thorntree discussion board? The Middle East section always has lots of discussion of travel between Egypt and Jordan.

VS

(edited to add this website - whose address I had to run down: http://www.jordanjubilee.com/
Ruth spends part of every year living in Petra and has many Jordanian friends. This is the best site on the web for visiting Jordan.)

Last edited by veiledsentiments on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Aquaba from the other direction (from Saudi Arabia), so all I can recommend is a hotel there:

JORDAN SUITES HOTEL

If you have further requests or enquiries about the hotel and the services we provide please feel free to contact us any time on the following address.

Hotel Details:

Address:
Phone: 962 3 2030890
Fax: 962 3 2030893
Hotel Zone � Aqaba
P.O.Box: 2313, Aqaba, 77110 Jordan
E-mails:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

http://www.jordansuiteshotel.com/aboutus.htm

Good accommodations, reasonable rates, fine location, excellent service (at least when I was there.)
And, if you have the time, may I suggest a tour of nearby Wadi Rum, the place where most of the movie Lawrence of Arabia was actually filmed.
While it isn't as spectacular as Monument Valley (Utah and Arizona):

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/monument_valley/

it's well-worth a visit.

Regards,
John
Angel46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Egypt to Jordan Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback. Lonely Planet's Thorntree is actually where I learned about many people's difficulties in getting to Aqaba from Egypt in a timely manner. This is why I have posted my query here. I'm hoping some people have taken the Nuweiba/Aqaba route a few times and may have some suggestions for me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we don't have a large number of posters from Egypt, but maybe someone will appear. Of course, if you know Egypt at all, you know that nothing much can or is done in a timely manner. Laughing I would assume glitches myself. But, it sounds a possibility barring a breakdown of the ferry and it not run.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think VS is right about this. I haven't taken the ferry, but every one of my friends and colleagues who did, complained about it lnot eaving on time. A few groups said they had to wait a few hours. I'm trying to recall if this had something to do w/ having enough passengers on board. Ah...my memory fails me.

Like everything in Egypt, if timing is truly essetial best to buffer your journey time as much as possible.[/code]
sgrossbl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done the trip myself, but have heard that it is long and painfully slow. I'd say your predictions about spending nights along the way are good. If you get into Aqaba anytime after two, just wait until the next day to do wadi rum, you'll want to spend a whole afternoon + night + morning there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: