Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple quick questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: A couple quick questions Reply with quote

Hi! I've been doing a ton of reading on jobs in Japan for teaching English, and had a few questions if anyone has the time to discuss?

1. Are there jobs in every prefecture, teaching English? I looked up wikipedia and the company sites for Aeon, ECC, Gaba, Dean Morgan, etc. and all their schools are clustered around Tokyo. Osaka, and a few other places. Some smaller prefectures have no schools for any company, yet they still have some large-ish cities. Do people there just not learn English?

2. It may be a harsh truth, but for the places that cater mainly to kids (Peppy Kids Club, Seiha, etc.) do they mainly just want female teachers under 20? or do they recruit all ages and both genders? Just curious... I have a lot of experience with kids, but even here in Canada it's hard as a male to get a job working with them.

3. I see a lot of talk about unions, general unions, etc... are these mandatory to join? I don't want to go on strike or pay union fees if possible...

4. Doomsayers aside, is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa? The pay actually doesn't seem too bad, even for an entry level teacher (more than I get here anyhow). Will they keep you on if you keep giving 100% and doing well? I (sadly) have a lot of experience with craptacular jobs and tend to do well even at things others get tired of. And to live in another country would be worth it.

Just some questions, thanks!!!
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In smaller cities the big chain eikaiwa are less prevalent for sure, so whatever schools you do find are going to be independent ones, or small mom n pop style operations, or juku (cram schools) or kindergartens with possibly a few eikaiwa-style lessons bolted on. You'll just have to scour the various job sites and see what's on offer and where exactly if you're looking to live out in the boonies. That or apply to JET (the JET Programme), who may place you anywhere (though the pay and perks usually compensate somewhat). The application process is quite involved and takes a fair while.

I also got the impression that the more kiddy outfits want females, but I did get a few interviews, so some will at least consider employing males (until that blonde female stunner walks in LOL). Thankfully other options came up e.g. teaching at Elementary public schools, where there is a modicum of structure and back-up etc (dispatch AET agencies may offer such positions, but the pay and perks can be pretty bad compared to JET "for example").

You don't have to join a union, but if things start to sour join up ASAP and BEFORE taking any sort of action against an employer. If enough people don't join however it may be difficult for unions to be there in the future. Anyway, just don't openly flaunt any possible membership until you really need to.

It's hard to say what your long-term prospects will be even in apparently dead-end jobs. Contracts tend to be for a year at most, and there is no guarantee they will like your face enough to rehire you. That's not to doomsay, just not sugar-coating it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
Is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa?

You just started your sophomore year at university. The TEFL situation in Japan will likely have changed by the time you graduate.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marley'sghost wrote:

Can I ask, why Japan? Any special reason or connection?

Nothing amazing. I have some very good friends over there (they did a gap year here to learn English). And when I visited there, I was amazed at how polite, clean and orderly everything is (not perfect, of course, but much, much better than Toronto). I could really get used to walking an entire downtown block without being accosted for spare change or offered weed Razz

I'm also a big history fan, and enjoy mountain climbing/hiking, so those are bonuses.

Thank you for the detailed reply! There's definitely a few paths you outlined that I'd be fine with. Aside from travel, I have zero interest in anything expensive. Just give me a new place to explore Razz
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the extent individual postings exceed 300 words they will be removed from the public board.

Members not abiding by this board policy risk being permanently banned along with ISPs.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: A couple quick questions Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
... is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa? ...

No, it's not. It is effectively a minimum wage job in a foreign country. For a year or few, okay, but the equivalent would be flipping burgers or delivering pizza when you're 40.

Or 50.

Or 60...

No chance of supporting a wife and kids, esp. since those eikaiwa companies fix your conditions so that only you will be paying for your required healthcare, pension, etc.--i.e., they won't be splitting the cost with you, like if you were a normal employee.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: A couple quick questions Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
... but even here in Canada it's hard as a male to get a job working with them. ...

Try a working holiday visa first--and you don't even need a degree for it (if you're under 30).

You can do things like food service and dishwashing besides eikaiwa.
yurii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: A couple quick questions Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
GreenHorse wrote:
... is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa? ...

No, it's not. It is effectively a minimum wage job in a foreign country. For a year or few, okay, but the equivalent would be flipping burgers or delivering pizza when you're 40.

Or 50.

Or 60...

No chance of supporting a wife and kids, esp. since those eikaiwa companies fix your conditions so that only you will be paying for your required healthcare, pension, etc.--i.e., they won't be splitting the cost with you, like if you were a normal employee.

And how, Nomad Soul is this likely to change in a few years?

nomad soul wrote:
GreenHorse wrote:
Is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa?

You just started your sophomore year at university. The TEFL situation in Japan will likely have changed by the time you graduate.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make a career out of eikaiwa, you need to look at developing it beyond being a bog standard eikaiwa instructor "drone". If you've got the capability and desire, you can get promoted to various positions such as teacher manager, teacher trainer, materials development. Some companies also do their own recruitment which you can get involved with, and some people go in to administrative roles.

You can also look at getting better qualified, getting certificate, and later diploma, level TESOL qualifications, or a Master's degree, which can lead to positions working directly for a high school, or a university.

If you are going to get involved in eikaiwa, I really would think about how you're going to develop yourself. Trundling along in a regular teaching role year after year will find you very quickly stuck down a dead end, both in terms of where you're going with your career (i.e. nowhere), and your income.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer wrote:
If you want to make a career out of eikaiwa, you need to look at developing it beyond being a bog standard eikaiwa instructor "drone". If you've got the capability and desire, you can get promoted to various positions such as teacher manager, teacher trainer, materials development. Some companies also do their own recruitment which you can get involved with, and some people go in to administrative roles.

You can also look at getting better qualified, getting certificate, and later diploma, level TESOL qualifications, or a Master's degree, which can lead to positions working directly for a high school, or a university.

If you are going to get involved in eikaiwa, I really would think about how you're going to develop yourself. Trundling along in a regular teaching role year after year will find you very quickly stuck down a dead end, both in terms of where you're going with your career (i.e. nowhere), and your income.

This is some helpful advice, thanks Smile

Although, I find people are overly concerned with the amount of money that can be made... I live right now fairly comfortably on a part time minimum wage job, while attending school. Once you have food, shelter, personal needs and basic entertainment, anything else is really superfluous.

I do however agree that doing the same thing for too long will be tedious and boring, hence I'll try hard to grow in a company Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yurii wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
The TEFL situation in Japan will likely have changed by the time you graduate.

And how, Nomad Soul is this likely to change in a few years?

There will be a major demand for more English teachers ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Lots of those TEFLers will probably stay once the Games end, adding to an already popular market. Just my prediction.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul wrote
Quote:
There will be a major demand for more English teachers ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Lots of those TEFLers will probably stay once the Games end, adding to an already popular market. Just my prediction.

There’s no money in it. Hotels and restaurants will bring on more staff, I’m sure, but they won’t need or be willing to pay for foreign language skills.

Olympic volunteers don’t receive train fare or bento money. Likely the only people who can afford the time and money, have foreign language communication skills, and would benefit from the experience are private high school and college students within Tokyo.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/countdowntotokyo2020/peoplehesitant/
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they just want to do things on the cheap.
Tokyo's government is having ECC teach some of its public servants.
Doubt the pay is above 3,000 yen per hour.
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
Although, I find people are overly concerned with the amount of money that can be made

Financial pressure is real, and it increases as you progress through life. I'm not saying that life should be about pursuit of an impressive mcmansion and luxury cars, but that a lifetime at the bottom of the pay scale won't be the minimalist utopia you might think it'll be.

I looked through some of your posts and have seen the great advice you've been given. Invest wisely in yourself while you have a support system in place.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you have food, shelter, personal needs and basic entertainment, anything else is really superfluous.

In previous posts, you ask about a career here.

It doesn’t matter how young you are, start a financial plan for whatever contingency. You’ll need a proper salary.

As you age, your needs change, and your insurance premiums rise. You may want to get married, buy property, start a business.

Working abroad is an opportunity for leveraging your skills, education, and languages so you earn a salary higher than home, or maybe higher than the local average.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: