Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DF Get Together - Sunday August 19th
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: DF Get Together - Sunday August 19th Reply with quote

Given Gregor's comments and that most of you live outside of Mexico City, here's an advance notice on the next get together I'm trying to arrange.

Sunday, August 19th, 3 PM in Coyoacan...there's a place with a patio called El Hijo Del Cuervo. They are right in the Plaza Centenario. Their website is at http://www.elhijodelcuervo.com.mx/

For those who haven't been, Coyoacan is a lovely area in southern Mexico City. The plaza is of cobblestone streets with a church in the center. A very common Sunday gathering spot for families with performances, patios, and markets.

Coyoacan - where the coyotes sing

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dixie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyoacan is a fabulous spot! Certainly not a place to missed. Sundays are the best day to be out there...tons to see, do and buy! Definitely a great place for a gathering.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: beer Reply with quote

If there's beer, Ill be there Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd gladly join you all in Coyoacán this Suncday, but I'm still stuck here in the States. I hope that I can make the next one in September; I expect to arrive on or around the 20th.

Cheers,

MO
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll certainly welcome you back to DF in September with another fabulous meet.

This Sunday we'll also be seeing off a fellow Aussie TEFLer to Afghanistan of all places, for a tour of duty with the British army.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: british Reply with quote

If he serves with the British Army, does that make him a Pom? *duck and run*
melirae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to join the next one as well! Just read about today's meeting now and won't have time to get there. I'm in Cholula but would love to see more of DF. Can anyone recommend a tour company as well? I'm a bit nervous to head there on my own and try to figure out where I should and should not go. My Spanish is a bit on the low side, but I`m comfortable with it. I have long weekends and would like to spend them exploring more places.
MO39

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melirae,

After I get back (in about a month), I'd be happy to meet you during one of your long weekends and take you to around some of my favorite places in Mexico City.

Marsha
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MO39, what about Spain? If things didn't work out there, could you please post the info for new newbies?

Or maybe it was all great, and we've just been out of touch?!! I hope this is the case - my memory's a bit faulty, but I thought you were heading to Spain to seek more or less legal work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second thoughts - I often have them!!
Not trying to needle AT ALL!!
It's just that I'm trying very often to help the newbies understand the reality here in Europe, so that they don't get into trouble - and if you have input on the possibilities of landing legal work that would be helpful, it would be great to have your input on the Spain and General Europe forums, too.

All the best! Very Happy
MO39

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spiral78,

I was in Madrid for several months, from January to July, and returned to the States a few weeks ago. I didn't do much posting, either here or on multimadrid, because I was never able to get an internet connection in my apartment.

I enjoyed Madrid and found work fairly easily. What was difficult was finding the energy to chase all over the city to get to my classes, which were all in private homes or businesses. And split schedules really did me in too! These things wore me out much more than the actual teaching which, for the most part was a pleasure, and I even learned that I liked teaching children. Perhaps when I was younger, things would have worked out, but at my age (62), I found it difficult to keep up the pace necessary to work enough to cover expenses and enjoy my free time, keeping in mind that Madrid is a pretty expensive place to live.

I decided to move back to Mexico, where I'll be able to cover basic expenses with my Social Security pension (the first check arrives next month!) and will only have to work a few hours a week to pay for health insurance and extras, like travel and the occasional shopping spree. Also, in Mexico it will be possible for me to become "legal", something that is almost impossible for a non-EU citizen to do.

These are my thoughts about my recent experiences in Spain, which I am happy to share with anyone thinking about moving to Spain. Moderators, is there some way I can move this post to the Spain forum?

Marsha
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha, thanks for the info! I'm glad it went all right for you - and, yeah, your post would be really useful on the Spain forum. You're right, not many people are aware of the long working hours needed to keep afloat - it's not just Spain, but Europe generally.

Anyway, best of luck in Mexico. Sounds like you should be really able to relax and enjoy yourself much more there.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fun afternoon we had in ever-pleasant Coyoacan. I'd forgotten that El Hijo del Cuervo makes their own beer...a nice break from the usual routine of Coronas. It was nice to see a couple of new faces out there too.

There was a good drumming group in the plaza...got them on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5kAVAHlMaQ
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these Guy. Coyoacan is one of my favourite places in DF and its nice to have a virtual visit!

Hoping to see it again for real sometime soon...
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF YOU'D TOLD ME THEY MAKE THEIR OWN BEER!!!!!!

I might have tried to escape for the day. Sad

Anyways, was it good? any other places with in house brews you chilangos recommend? I just might have to make a trip soon. The Corona distributor has done such a number on the local publicans that you can't even find Dos Equies around here anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: