Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

�habitaciones�in Lima

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sistaray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: �habitaciones�in Lima Reply with quote

Looking through the El Comercio, I see almost as many Habitaciones for rent as Apartments (for Lima). Some mention things like laundry or even �buena comida�--so my question is, are these homestays with meals and laundry included? Does it vary from habitacion to habitacion? Does anyone have experience with one, or more than one, or has checked out several? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best not to assume anything, but I would assume that they have laundry, which may simply be a sink outside and a clothesline, and food.

Another place to look for rooms and deal with English speakers is www.expatperu.com. Click on Apartments for rent and they have a shared housing option.

Or at www.livinginperu.com. Go to Classified and housing.
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer for Lima, but I know that 'habitaciones' advertised in Trujillo usually are rooms rented out of a home. Most had private entry, but the laundry area was typically communal(and often open air) and consists of a wash basin and clotheslines. Be prepared to compete with abuela for prime drying areas.

Homestay type arrangements abound and many of the advertisements you found probably allude to them. Many of the ads I visited consisted of older Peruvian couples with grown children who have moved out. They are looking to rent out the new space created. They often enjoy cooking for boarders and the company it brings.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistaray, did you find a place to live?
sistaray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: misc Reply with quote

Sharon,
I read that you are contemplating leaving Peru. Your presence will be missed.

Do you know if any of the colegios offer part time work, i.e. just a class or two in the mornings? It seems like the walk-straight-in method is how to do it.

Lastly, other than the LA job list, any advice on jobs in the central Andes, i.e. Huancayo or Huancavelica, etc? After a few months in Lima I think I might try my luck there.

thanks,
sistaray

Last edited by sistaray on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: misc Reply with quote

sistaray wrote:
Do you know if any of the colegios offer part time work, i.e. just a class or two in the mornings? When I taught in the north, English class was only once a day... but here, is it more of a full time thing? I think I'm just too nervous to walk straight into a colegio with my CV...you're sure that they're used to this sort of thing?
Lastly, other than the LA job list, any advice on jobs in the central Andes, i.e. Huancayo or Huancavelica, etc? After a few months in Lima I think I might try my luck there.

Some places might, but you're better off looking at institutes. YOu should look at the Peru Job Bulletin. I would saw try the walk-in thing, you'll probably get better results.

About the Andes, I'm not sure that the pay would be very high.
jg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Lima, sometimes if they have one boarder the boarder can eat with the family for a few extra $$$, and if the family has more than one this is usually the case.

I found my room through el comercio, as did a friend. We both lived in Barranco, he with a single male surfer roomie (so he was on his own come mealtime) me with a family, and I ate the food, they brought it to my room on a tray, or I could dine with the family.

If you get a habitacion, make sure that you let them know well in advance before you leave, because they might need some time to get your deposit together and give it back to you. In general, my experience with renting rooms from families has been positive, if sometimes they can be a bit motherly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: