Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish Women at KFUPM
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrykt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Polish Women at KFUPM Reply with quote

I am a new hire at KFU in Dhahran and am going there with my Polish wife and two small children. I was told that there are Polish women there, mainly the wives of expats. My wife and I speak Polish at home and although I have some degree of fluency (Polish is a wicked language), I hope that she will have somebody else to speak Polish with. Does anybody know anything regarding this topic?

Other information would also be welcome regarding the cost of living for a family of four, whether a car is really necessary and if teachers can wear sandles with no socks while teaching.

All the best,

Patrick
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Polish Women at KFUPM Reply with quote

patrykt wrote:

Other information would also be welcome regarding the cost of living for a family of four, whether a car is really necessary and if teachers can wear sandles with no socks while teaching.

All the best,

Patrick

The first time I went to the Gulf I had the misfortune to share an apartment with a guy who wore socks with sandals, shoes, trainers etc. Unfortunately, almost always the same pair of socks.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is worse - offensive body odour or the inability to spell 'sandals' ?
trapezius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are ESL teachers/lecturers in SA horrible dressers?

At my previous job, some people would wear TRACKSUIT BOTTOMS (i.e., pyjamas) to teach everyday. Of course, paired with 5 Riyal plain white t-shirts, and open sandals.

And there was one guy from Australia who wore the SAME pyjamas every single day. Who knows, maybe he had 15 pairs of the exact same color, style, and brand. Either way, that's unprofessional and sick.

We need a :sick:/:disgusting: smiley

BTW, I bought another tracksuit bottom (SR. 25), and put it in his pigeon hole, but he never wore it Sad

And it is sandal, not sandle. ^ Aha, beat me to it!
Bob Gorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL teachers are notoriously bad dressers across the board. Females (my wife excepted, of course) tend to wear the "bag lady" look in an effort to appear modest while teaching in the middle east. Men don't even have the modesty excuse, and I've worked with some of the biggest slobs you can imagine. It isn't asking too much for a man to tuck in his shirttails, wear a reasonably non-wrinkled shirt and pants with no visible holes in them. Dressing well counts for something in the Middle East. People perceive your dress as reflecting the respect you have for the situation. If this is true, then we show an amazing lack of respect for our hosts and our workplace.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my colleague with his football T-shirt ?
Van Norden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also have a look at the yahoo group site Expats in Saudi Arabia and post a question there about Poles living in the Dhahran area.

Definitely consider getting a car asap. You'll find it's the most convenient and cost-effective (after the initial cash outlay) way of getting around. There are enough restrictions in this country; you don't need to add transportation to the mix!

Sandals are a must here in summer. You don't want to be wearing sweaty shoes and socks. You can get good leather ones here if you don't already have a suitable pair. Ignore those who will warn you:
Don't wear sandals / Try to avoid the scandals
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have dependants with you here a car is a necessity.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain something to me?

In most other jobs/professions, the vast majority of people want a car.

Why, however, do most people in TEFL seem to want to avoid having a car??????????????

Confused

When I was in KSA, I would have died without one. I know, Scot47 will say something like "you could just as easily die in one". I know and I see the point, but you could just as easily die in a taxi....I much prefer to be in a vehicle driven by myself....or get run over as a pedestrian. Staying on a pavement doesn't help in any way in KSA, trust me!! Evil or Very Mad

If I could have afforded one, I would have gone for something like a Humvee. Twisted Evil
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebsi
I would settle for a T-34 with loads of ammo.

The desire to live a car-free life is all part of the radical chic to which many of us aspire. Bebsi it is FASHION !
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, so THAT'S why the governments of most Western European countries have introduced high taxes on motoring - it's to promote fashion and create a style conscious society.

Hmmm...I see...at least I THINK I do

Confused

And is a T-34 trendy or what?????

I wanted one in KSA, but couldn't find one with AC. Pity, I could've had a field day whacking errant drivers as they dangerously overtook at night without lights at 240 kph, 9 to a car, and the driver's 4 y/o nephew hanging out the window....while the driver would be having a confab on his two mobiles simultaneously. I suppose I'd have needed infra-red night vision too, tho?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radical chic is the thing man. No point in driving around in something cruddy like a Korean Chevvy !
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt tails. Ah fun!

When I was at Manarat Riyadh the head of senior school persuaded the Sphinx that a school uniform was necessary (he then decamped somewhere else). Teachers were ordered to go around and discipline anybody who had his shirt not tucked in.

Then the nutters got into power and got the uniform changed to a loose tunic and wide trousers. Teachers were then ordered to discipline any student who didn't have his shirt hanging out as having it tucked in was unislamic!

It is more comfortable to have a shirt outside the trousers than inside, but you need to buy a shirt designed for that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebsi wrote:
In most other jobs/professions, the vast majority of people want a car.

Why, however, do most people in TEFL seem to want to avoid having a car??????????????

This would only be true of the TEFLers in Saudi. In the Emirates, Kuwait, and Oman, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of other teachers who didn't have a car... and have fingers left over.

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Riyadh, most of the expats I know who have cars are men with families. Few of the single men - and obviously none of the women - have them.

I think there are a few reasons for this: firstly, most employers provide free transport to and from work, which eliminates one major need for a car. Secondly, the traffic in Riyadh is so awful - and taxis so cheap and plentiful - that most people don't want to be directly involved. Finally, many people only come here for a short time - often just one year - and so don't want to go to the hassle and expense of buying their own car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: