Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VINNELL ARABIA_ Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place sounds like an EFL Halfway House with lots of MIA's around!!! Rolling Eyes
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: A couple of questions Reply with quote

Is this the same outfit as Vinnell Aviation-the subject of another thread here?
I saw both 14k and 25k mentioned as starting salaries here in this thread: which is correct? Or is the salary range that wide?
Thank you.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: A couple of questions Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
Is this the same outfit as Vinnell Aviation-the subject of another thread here?
I saw both 14k and 25k mentioned as starting salaries here in this thread: which is correct? Or is the salary range that wide?
Thank you.

I think it's about 15K. You will be able to save most of it.

A few things to add:
In contrast with the military vibe, the English department has a lot of alternative sexuality going around. do not go unless you are very open-minded. I do not mean necessarily just LGBT stuff; more like really way out alternative.

Also, plan on gaining 30 LBS while you are there. Nothing to do except eat and watch football.

The rest is par for the course: comically bad management, rude students, the Saudis that run things are really into humiliation, you know, the usual.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 K what and how often ? Riyals a month ? US dollars a day ? Bitcoins a lunar month ?
revilo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: In a bad place, Reply with quote

Well, my company refused to renew my contract so I'm doing the job hunt thing. Before I send my CV to Vinnell, I want some input from you guys.

At 58 y.o. should I even consider it? I've had some health problems, will they get worse working for these guys?

I got a mssge from a teacher saying that Vinnell lost the contract and will cease operations in Dec. 2018. Any truth to this? If true, Vinnell is a non-starter.

To be sure, there are other places and the company sounds like it has deadwood that feeds off the blood, sweat & tears of newbies. I've found some descriptions like this on glassdoor.com.

Sorry to bring back this post, but I need some info ASAP.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revilo

Do you have an exit strategy ? What will you do after Vinnell ?

I am giving advice that I did not take myself. Well not until near the end of my teaching when I secured a bolthole in my native Scotland and access to health care via the National Health Service. Best thing i did.

At least during my teaching career I had the sense to maintain payments to UK National insurance, thus ensuring a UK State Retirement Pension at age 65.
revilo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Exit strategy? Reply with quote

My exit strategy was to stay at IPA until I was well past 60 and hang on until old age or WWIII happened.
I hve medical coverage thru the VA, but that is in the U.S. At IPA, they tell you to go to gov't hospitals, which is slow & painful.
I decided against Vinnell because it needs to be flushed down the bowels of education. I can pretty much say the say same for Saudi Arabia, but it needs to be flushed down the bowels of civilization.

Any exit strategy needs to be based on having a place to live and a rental apt to provide income. I'm way behind on that b/c my savings are meager and I inherit a home from my mom. Mom isn't anywhere near dying and I have to divide the inheritance between 2 other greedy sisters.

I'm screwed,.. . Embarassed
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention Social Security which you are eligible for as early as age 62 (at a reduced rate).

Unless you've never worked at some job that was covered by SS (which usually means you've never worked in the US) you undoubtedly are eligible for SOME SS benefits.

If you're covered by VA (Veterans Administration) for health benefits, it means you have some military employment (which is covered by SS). You need 10 years (40 quarters) of covered employment minimum (with some exceptions) to be eligible for SS benefits.

What I'm getting at is this: as far as I know Vinnell does pay into the SS fund for its US employees. Working there for about 2 months would be enough to get you credit for 4 quarters work (2018) and boost your SS benefit or put you over the top to qualify. It's the only good thing about Vinnell - that plus the fact your income continues to be tax free. Even if Vinnell is out in December, 6 months of that combination could firm your financial position considerably, I would say.

I also believe that Vinnell pays into the unemployment insurance program (UI) for its US employees. You aren’t generally eligible for this program if you “quit” your job (at Vinnell). If they offer you a renewal contract and you turn it down, it’s considered a “voluntary quit) and disqualifying……but if Vinnell is out of KSA in Dec, then you’ll be laid off and eligible for UI.

Don’t take my word for any of this. This is how it USED to be but I can’t guarantee any of this now. Be sure to ask and get correct and up to date information. If what I said above is true, it could be what you’re looking for.

scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herewith some adjustments to my above posting re SS

hash wrote:

I WROTE:

If you're covered by VA (Veterans Administration) for health benefits (as you said you were), it means you have some military employment (which is covered by SS) (which means you ALREADY have some SS credits to your account). You need 10 years (40 quarters) of covered employment minimum (with some exceptions) to be eligible for SS benefits.

CLARIFICATION TO ABOVE:

The above may be a little confusing. Some readers may think I meant you have to have 10 years (40 quarters) of MILITARY employment to be eligible for SS benefits. That's not right. What you have to have is 40 quarters of ANY employment (like dishwasher) that is/was covered by the SS system. In the US that's nearly all jobs. That is, you can have as many different covered jobs as you want so long as THEY ALL ADD UP to at least 40 quarters at the end.

I WROTE: (but changes UNDERLINED)

Don’t take my word for any of this. This is how it USED to be but I can’t guarantee any of this now. Be sure to ask and get correct and up to date information. If what I said above is true, it may be to your advantage to look at Vinnell in a different light.

scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The National insurance system in UK is different to the US system. It allows for voluntary payments once you have entered the system. Do your homework is my advice to Ukanians
Charlie123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw somebody said something about Vinnell possibly being out of the KSA in December. I know the contract is shaky, but it is hard to get a read on whether or not they are going to stay on.

Anyone have the inside info?
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ad in the job postings --

Here's abridged version of what is written here:

The money is okay but there are many reasons to avoid:

1. ZERO Job Security. 50% do not make it through the first-year contract. (No exaggeration).
2. Everything about the job is humiliating. Your students, managers and many of your co-workers are deeply into the humiliation thing.
3. The Saudi administrative assistants have offices that are bigger than the ENTIRE foreign staff office space, which consists of a table, some chairs and some uncomfortable sofas. This room is shared by 15-20 instructors. There is typically a lot of down time, so you will spend it in uncomfortably in the common room with people you probably won't like very much, and without so much as your own desk.
3. The compound you will be living on is claustrophobic -- there is a gym and a bar that sells rancid home brew.
4. Your neighbours in the compound are mostly retired military. You will have very little in common with any of them and will probably not like a lot of them.

In summary you will be surrounded by really crappy people pretty much 24/7. However, if you are also a crappy person, then this might be just the thing for you.

Oh, by the way, it is dangerous. Many employees have lost their lives over the past fifteen years or so.
hash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
New ad in the job postings --

Specifically, at : http://aicu/joblist/index.cgi?read=47599

One thing this new ad CONFIRMS is that Vinnell DOES indeed contribute to your Social Security (SS) account, a very important piece of information for your long-term financial planning.

As I've said previously on this thread, the SS contribution is an important factor to consider especially for older teachers - and Vinnell is probably the only place left in KSA that offers this benefit to its US employees.

There's another item NOT in the ad that is of significance - to wit - there is no mention of an age limit. Does that mean that there isn't one for this job? I don't know for sure, but I've heard that even the "elderly" can get in, especially if you're a vet with the all-important DD214 certificate of honorable discharge at your disposal.

(When I was there, I remember dozens of UJS employees (not necessarily ESLers) that resembled my grandfather sloshing about. Course, in those days, I thought a 50 year old was incredibly ancient.)

There is no doubt that V is a tough place to work (I know from personal experience) - likely the toughest outfit for your typical ESLer in KSA (if not the world). But it is doable.....so much depends on your attitude and expectations.

Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
But it is doable.....so much depends on your attitude and expectations.[/b]
[/size]

My experience with the place is that they fire excellent instructors with good attitudes and reasonable expectations, for no particular reason.

You'll be working with drunks, sexual weirdos, a megalomaniac director and co-workers who I would not allow to sit on my front porch. It is a humiliating and unhealthy place to work.

Then again, some folks will fit right in, so who am I to say?

Ultimately, for anyone looking for long-term employment, the numbers do not lie. Very few instructors re-sign for a second year. If you are looking for stable, long-term employment, it is extremely unlikely you will find it at Vinnell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: