Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VINNELL ARABIA_ Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: creeps on Reply with quote

dustdevil wrote:
water rat wrote:
You know, Vinnell won't even consider you anyway if you ain't a 'an Amerikin'. Not even Canadians will do. The former colonel who for no good reason that I know of was in charge of the ESL dept. told me this was because your Limey teacher will call a hot water heater a geezer and a squash a marrow. Hence ruining the students' prospects forever.

I resemble that remark! I'm an old geezer myself in the Tragic Kingdom. Fortunately, retirement draws near, anywhere from 3 to 15 months from now. Creeps on this petty pace.

Feel it in the marrow, um, I mean the squash of your bones, do you?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:
The actual reason is probably that the company is owned by Northrup Grumman. therefore hiring non-Americans would be a conflict of interest.
Northrup Grumman doesn't support NATO countries?

I think it is a matter of obtaining visas, medical and security clearances. They are all obtained in the USA for the Saudi Embassy in the USA. Makes it easier.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what a new instructor makes?

Last edited by Charlie123 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
1chunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa. 25k Basic. That may have dropped.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1chunk wrote:
Circa. 25k Basic. That may have dropped.

Thanks. Was that recent?
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing what people start on at Blueforce, and DynCorp, I would suggest that it would be a bit lower than 25k.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw an ad for blue force. The recruiter contacted me and I sent them back about 8 questions, with no reply. Strange. It looked like it was stationed in Dhahran. Any of you ever worked with blue force or know if Dhahran is the better side of town in the kingdom?
hash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
The recruiter contacted me and I sent them back about 8 questions, with no reply. Strange.

Not strange at all. You made a basic "DO NOT DO" rule in the "looking for a job" racket. You started asking countless questions at the very beginning of the hiring process. You spooked the recruiter. You gave off a whiff of being a "trouble–maker".....a likely litigious pain in the neck. I doubt you'll hear from him again.

Always put yourself in the RECRUITER'S shoes. First of all, you have to decide if he is working for the company or if he's kind of a "general" recruiter. When it comes to KSA, for example, many "recruiters" not only have never been to the Kingdom of Humanity......they likely don't even know where it is. They likely can't even answer the questions you've asked....not because they don't want to...but because they don't know (but they'll never let you know that).

Remember, you're only one of probably dozens of "applicants" he's dealing with......he likely doesn't remember your name to save his life. My point...you have to be much more "cool" about all this.......play hard to get. Don't show extreme eagerness. A well placed YAWN somewhere along the way can work miracles.

Because it's becoming quite common now, I would militantly strongly advise agreeing to any job (not only in our field, I mean) where YOU have to pay any monies before even an interview. I'm thinking in particular of a company that recently made it perfectly clear that YOU had to pay for your "interview" trip to HOUSTON (pronounced HeeYOOSTON, not WHOSE TON) and you would not get reimbused? Let alone paying for a medical? Please, habeebee...don't be a sucker.....
waltgomez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not treated well at Vinnell. The boss was very tyrannical, angry, hateful, was chewing me and other people out publicly and generally treated me in a demeaning, humiliating manner. Power freak/control freak behavior.

He fired one teacher for wearing a belt bag and making a truthful report about the rambunctious behavior of the students.

The management team revels in sadistically humiliating teachers and making their lives impossible. To make them either quit or get them fired.

Also, some teachers have been threatened by roommates with death and/or beatings for leaving a couple of crumbs in the kitchen. Lots of angry, hateful ex military there.

Not a place for an intellectual.

Last edited by waltgomez on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The boss was bossy" Is that a criticism ? Were the teachers "teachery" ?

The first thing to learn in the world of work - especially in the military and especially in the Middle East is to recognise who is the boss. Salute him and pretend that you think he is very clever. That is the road to success.

A study of "The Good Soldier Schweyk" will reap rewards.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
hash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
I was not treated well at Vinnell. The boss was very bossy, angry, hateful, was chewing me and other people out publicly and generally treated me in a demeaning, humiliating manner. Also, teachers have been threatened by roommates with death and/or beatings for leaving a couple of crumbs in the kitchen. Lots of angry, hateful ex military there.Not a place for an intellectual.
Living proof of my oft repeated testimonials that despite recruiting efforts..sometimes frantic.... for ESL teachers in KSA, ESL teachers are not really wanted on the premises of many employers, especially the military.

I remind you that many foreign contractors are REQUIRED to provide English language training to KSA employees/troops. Functioning language units have literally been shoved down the throats of these reluctant employers. There's not much they can do about it either. They either accept or they don't get the contract. But there's a lot they can do about YOU, once you're in their clutches. None of this is official, of course, and not ALL employers act this way. But enough of them do so that you can see a definite antagonistic pattern towards the "chattering classes". In a lot of ways, you're a marked man the minute you sign on the dotted line. Sorry about your experience Gomez.

This attitude, by the way, is not limited to the "military" and such. Most unis also have an antipathy towards PYP programs. Not in their wildest dreams did unis expect that their primary function would turn out to be the training of pretty much analphabetic students. "Research"?? Keep dreaming.

waltgomez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
"The boss was bossy" Is that a criticism ? Were the teachers "teachery" ?

The first thing to learn in the world of work - especially in the military and especially in the Middle East is to recognise who is the boss. salute him and pretend that you think he is very clever. That is the road to success.

A study of "The Good Soldier Schweyk" will reap rewards.

I had done two military contracts before and everyone was nice to me on those. This was the first one where I was treated in a humiliating manner like this.

I changed " bossy" to a more appropriate word.

I read Shveyk some 4 times. We are not in WWI Austro Hungary and are civilians.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schweyk may be set in The Habsburg Monarchy but its lessons are universal. Maybe you thought "Catch-22" only applied to the US Airforce ? Or "Madame Bovary" to provincial France in the 19th century ?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the people who did the humiliating were other ESL bosses.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Vinnell Trains the Saudi National Guard in Riyadh. Prince Miteb, the former head of the national guard, was arrested in the general purge a couple of weeks ago. It is not clear what the new regime thinks of Vinnell (maybe not much).

In addition, all trainers in Riyadh got pink slips, saying Vinnell could not guarantee a contract past December 31, 2017. (That doesn't mean everybody is getting fired -- it just means that the company has no legal liability if they do).

That being said, they still have a post on the job board. Because turnover is so high, they might be actively hiring, but this is not a good bet for a stable long-term position. (Salalry, 14,000 SAR per month plus the usual incentives). Most people quit or get fired before their contract is up. It is not a pleasant place to be, right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: