Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Location, location, location
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leosmith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Location, location, location Reply with quote

I�m looking for a nice place to work in Japan. Let me give you a little background. I�m quitting my job (yippee!) here in the US in July, and getting my CELTA a few months later, at a location tbd later.

I want to go to Japan for several reasons. I�ve been studying the language very hard on my own now for over 2 years. I feel the only way for me to achieve advanced fluency in a reasonable amount of time is to live there and continue to work on it. I visited Japan last summer and really liked it. I�ve taught before, in the Peace Corps, and really liked it. When I get a job there, I�m going to give it a good effort. But I don�t want to exceed 40 hours per week total, including lesson plans, etc. Money is nice, but I�d be happy to be just above the break even point.

Ideally, I�m looking for a job away from the huge population centers. I�m a cyclist, so I�d like to be able to ride a bicycle in relative safety. I�d like to be within walking distance of my school, or a short train commute. I don�t want to drive a car or motorcycle. I picture my daily routine as teaching, lesson plans, cycling or walking, meeting with a tutor and studying. I�m 45, so my party days are pretty much over.

I�ve been to Takayama, and just loved it. Of course, that was summer. I think I can handle several months of snow though. The warmer climate of Okinawa also appeals to me, although I�ve never been there.

So my question is, do you know of a location that fits my needs and has regular job openings?
markle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really no magic answer for what you are looking for, there are literally hundreds of places that would fit your needs, but don't always have jobs. Perserverance is the key. You seem to have a pretty clear idea of what you would like so it's just a matter of waiting for he best situation to come along.

Good Luck.
leosmith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markle wrote:
there are literally hundreds of places that would fit your needs

Cool. Would anyone like to share a favorite or two?
partialtone

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! What country did the PeaceCorps put you in?

Anyway, it sounds like it'd be easier to tell you where not to go than where to go. If you want to stay warm and away from larger population centers but still have access to the larger island maybe you should look around Chugoku or Kansai prefectures (avoid Osaka). It sounds like most of Japan suits your needs though. I wouldn't worry too much about spending a lot of time on lesson plans and grading in the beggining. It gets much easier and faster the more you do it.
leosmith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partialtone wrote:
Nice! What country did the PeaceCorps put you in?

Thanks for the tips partialtone. I was in Tanzania, btw. I was teaching Math & Physics, so I'm still a noob regarding English.
rai

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leosmith wrote:
Thanks for the tips partialtone. I was in Tanzania

Tanzania?? SWEET! I'm planning a vacation there in two years (I've already committed to taking the wife shopping in Hong Kong next year Rolling Eyes ).

Didja make it to Zanzibar? I have a STACKS of Taarab CD's and I'm really hoping to catch some live music. Did you see any concerts? Since taarab's basically wedding music I'm worried that I won't get to hear any. I know there are some old "cultural music clubs" that get together and play informally, can I hang out and listen to them?

I also wanna check out some muziki wa dansi, but I figure that should be easier since it's more like pop music...

Oh, and I'm a city boy, so I can't give you much advice on where to live in Japan (I LOVE Osaka). I did live in Nara-shi for six months and that was pretty damn nice...
markle

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leosmith wrote:
Cool. Would anyone like to share a favorite or two?

I would second Nara area, also Shikoku, Takayama(although the winters are pretty full on) area, I liked the look of Kanazawa.
ironopolis

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the warmer climate of Okinawa appeals to you, there's obviously Okinawa itself Idea or you might want to consider the next best re warmer climate - southern Kyushu. Both Kagoshima and Miyazaki are fairly similar to what you seemed to be after, being a bit away from major centres of population, having cleaner air for cyclists although still not totally inaccessible. No snow though. Miyazaki especially, doesn't get much in the way of foreign tourists and your language immersion requirements would probably be fairly well catered for.
leosmith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rai wrote:
Didja make it to Zanzibar?

You bet. Loved it. I highly recommend the seafood bazaar they have every night in Stonetown. I didn't see any live music when I was there though, but that's just because I'm not much of a night-lifer. Apparently there are restaurants and clubs that have taarab on a regular basis, so you'll get to hear it.

For muziki wa dansi, it's everywhere except for the touristy clubs. I went out a few times in Dar, and really enjoyed it.
japanman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like real cities then DONT live in Osaka. Osaka appeals to country types who are easily impressed by tall buildings and flashing lights.
dove

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your comment, Japanman. I am a city person (Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Madrid, Tokyo and Sao Paulo are where I have lived) and while I have never LIVED in Osaka, I have visited there and I found it impressive. I loved the friendly people and the fun neighborhoods. In fact, during Golden Week, it rejuvinated me and kind of turned me on to Japan again after experiencing some recent unpleasant (racist, but let's not go there) incidents in Tokyo. Hmmm. To each his own.
japanman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just taking the p*ss. But I do find that Osaka is exactly like a lot of ithe residents. Loads of make-up but nothing inside. Easy to fall for a girl with lots of make-up but when the mascara fades and the lips go grey it becomes very easy to see what's inside.
rai

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leosmith wrote:
rai wrote:
Didja make it to Zanzibar?

You bet. Loved it. I highly recommend the seafood bazaar they have every night in Stonetown. I didn't see any live music when I was there though, but that's just because I'm not much of a night-lifer. Apparently there are restaurants and clubs that have taarab on a regular basis, so you'll get to hear it.

For muziki wa dansi, it's everywhere except for the touristy clubs. I went out a few times in Dar, and really enjoyed it.

Oh man, I'd MUCH rather go to Zanzibar next year! Sad Instead of eating seafood at a bazaar in Stonetown I'll be standing around while the missus buys Prada crap. Ugh.

Hey if you came to Kansai, PM me: I've got a group of interesting "older" friends (late thirties, early forties) you might like to hang out with. We can show you some cool places (like the restored old tea houses in Nakazaki-cho). I'm old and don't go to gaijin bars much...
J.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Hokkaido? Reply with quote

Sorry to be a downer but I live in Shikoku and I can't recommend the cycling 'round here. There are so many cars that you had better have lungs of iron, and the streets are narrow with no shoulders, mostly forcing people onto the sidewalks. Those have curbs every few feet so you had better get a mountain bike; the roads are bumpy. And cars' manners are not that good. You can't take your bike along the big highways where there are trees and long stretches of road.

There are back roads where you can ride away from traffic but through little residential neighborhoods not open roads.

You can of course use a bike for transportation, and many people do, including me, but my road bike is sitting on the porch collecting dust.

I hear Hokkaido is good for longer bike trips, and the air is bound to be cleaner up there, outside the big cities.

Maybe some others know some good places to ride.
leosmith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokkaido? Reply with quote

rai wrote:
Hey if you came to Kansai, PM me: I've got a group of interesting "older" friends (late thirties, early forties) you might like to hang out with. We can show you some cool places (like the restored old tea houses in Nakazaki-cho). I'm old and don't go to gaijin bars much...

Will do. Thanks rai.

J. wrote:
Sorry to be a downer but I live in Shikoku and I can't recommend the cycling 'round here. There are so many cars that you had better have lungs of iron, and the streets are narrow with no shoulders, mostly forcing people onto the sidewalks.

I have lungs of iron, but not bones of iron. I recently found this out the hard way in a head on collision with another bike. Evidently I flipped (can't remember), because I broke both shoulder blades.

Is all of Shikoku heavy traffic like that, or just your city?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: