Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

places to teach in Berlin/LOGO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil1979

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: places to teach in Berlin/LOGO Reply with quote

Dull topic but can anyone recommend which schools are worth teaching in in Berlin and what is the standard rate now? As I am taking a room in Prenzlauerberg I'm particularly curious does anyone know about the LOGO school there or is it any good? Or any other ones in the area? I have plenty of experience, qualifications etc.

Also - hope I don't rile anyone by being so upfront about it - are there any schools that pay under the table to avoid the whole insurance and tax system over there? I've spent the last few years in Russia where all the schools do it and it makes life a lot simpler.
Thanks!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germans tend to be a bit more law-abiding than their Slavonic neighbours.
The taxman tends to be less venal and more efficient.

Frankly I am surprised that you even ask the question. You are asking other posters to assist you in committing a criminal offence ! Conspiracy to defraud the German government ? No thanks !

There is probably an office in Berlin which does nothing else but scan fora like this for evidence of conspiracy against the State !

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all this thou shalt not stuff.

I live and work in Berlin as a fully respectable legal person, registered, tax paying�You name it, I�ve filled in some form at least five times.

But I also did two separate year-long stints in other parts of Germany as an English teacher and paid diddly squat in tax, and the only forms I ever filled in were betting slips. But I got away with it.

Of course, I wouldn�t condone such activity, but then again, why not.
neil1979

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't object to paying tax in principle, I just wish they could take it out before they pay you like in most jobs. What bugs me is that on a low salary you not only have to pay high tax but you're the one who has to go to the trouble of finding it how the hell to do it, pay an accountant or tax consultant etc. At the end what are you going to be left with?
smoofy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Taxes Reply with quote

How much do they usually take out of your pay check for taxes in Germany? I've heard varying figures, all sounding pretty deadly.
neil1979

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it seems not that bad. You can earn up to 17000 euro a year without paying income tax - fairly generous - and anyone who's earning more than that doing tefl in Germany must be crazy! The pension scheme is not obligatory for freelance teachers. So all you really need is health insurance, I guess...and maybe dreaded church tax (a topic addressed elsewhere)
mistral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Church tax etc. Reply with quote

There is no need to pay Church tax in Germany unless you tell them your religion. Just put "keine" in the space. That'll do the trick. As for income tax, get yourself an good accountant (Steuerberater). Germany has more tax deductables than any other country in Europe. Collect all your receipts, including your coffee maker, coffee ... You can even deduct a percentage of your utility bills and rent (=desk space). You can write off the accountant's fees too. As for health insurance, make sure you are self employed and "freiwillig versichert" and you get sick pay, paid out each day (Krankengeld). It's worth it. "Angestellter" get ripped off by their employers and the Finanzamt. You can earn a lot more if you work freelance and play your cards right. Keep your declared income just above the bread line. All Germans do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: