Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay range in Krakow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
friendmole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Pay range in Krakow Reply with quote

I've been offered a job at Maly Rynek in Krakow and will meet with the D.O.S tomorrow to discuss terms.I've been teaching at the University here and am not quite sure about salaries at the language schools.Any help?
Thanks in advance.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them what their highest offer will be, then use your schpiel about any/all experience you might have and successes and go for some more. As mentioned on another thread, anything less then 1zl a minute isn't worth going for. Saying that, Krakow doesn't have a super amount of schools that pay huge wads of cash (so i've heard from my time in Krakow and since) but anything less then 1zl a minute with experience i wouldn't waste my time with.
friendmole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon---
Thanks for your help.When discussing salaries , does one generally speak in terms of net or gross? Are hours 60 minutes or 45?
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the school. Most schools would work on the basis an 'hour' in 45 minutes long, although you can ask this in the interview. I'm just assuming and it seems most likely that the 1zl per minute is gross. If you can negotiate 1zl a min net (if the DOS isn't on the ball) then good for you. It'll depend on your circumstances/how dodgy the school is as to what tax you'll pay. This is another good question to ask at the interview. If you're seen as a resident i.e. you've been registered in Poland and have a document to prove it and you've been in Poland for a long time (as you seem to have been) then you'll pay different tax bands to a foriegner who is not classed as a resident. Alternatively, the school might have its own creative accountancy department.
hellohello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: 1zl a minute is NOT all that standard Reply with quote

hey - so I know I'm new in town, but I've had several interviews and several job offers here in Krakow, and have been reading this board avidly for months.
Hourly rates seem to go from 30zl/45 min (the low end) to around 45zl/45 min (the high end).
I am making 41zl/45 min as a new and fairly unexperienced teacher. This is after taxes. I have not heard of ANYONE making 60zl/60 min. If anyone makes this, please let us all know. Sounds like a great job.
I would negotiate around or over 40zl.
YakTamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1zl a minute is NOT all that standard Reply with quote

hellohello wrote:
Hourly rates seem to go from 30zl/45 min (the low end) to around 45zl/45 min (the high end).
I am making 41zl/45 min as a new and fairly unexperienced teacher. This is after taxes. I have not heard of ANYONE making 60zl/60 min. If anyone makes this, please let us all know. Sounds like a great job.

This is strange: you say 45/45 is the high end of the earnings range but then you say you haven't met *anyone* making 60/60 - which is the same thing by another name, at least in the schools I work in, which pro-rata (and even with split pay rates the difference is usually marginal). In any case, there's not a huge pay difference between what you're getting - as a newbie - and what you say is the tops.

1zl/min (netto) is nothing out of the ordinary in Warsaw, though. Schools charge around 2zl/min so any native in W-Wa selling themselves for less than about 42 netto/50 brutto is just giving their school a licence to print money.

Note: these figures assume experience/qualifications.

Last edited by YakTamer on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
friendmole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it'll be around 45 zloty (netto) per 45 minute hour.Thanks for all the info.Much appreciated.....
phrodo41

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am negotiating a contract in Katowice for a flat salary of 1800zl/month at 20 lessons/week (if I don't get the full 20 lessons, I still get the base salary) and 45zl for each additional lesson. They are also providing my housing and health insurance.

Mind you this is Katowice, not Krakow; I have heard that you get better offers there since there aren't as many native speakers headed that way. But it's about a 90 minute trainride to Krakow, so I'll probably get to visit often.
friendmole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrodo---
That sounds pretty good considering they're offering accommodation as well.
Housing in Katowice isn't as bad as in Krakow, but still not cheap.Good luck, and visit Krakow often......
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilbo baggins,

sounds good to me as well. having paid accomodation is clutch. salary is as well. it's a decent set up considering you'll know atleast minimally what you will be making every month, this will make planning those trips to krakow much easier. living in Katowice, i would assume you will be trekking out of there atleast two weekends a month.
phrodo41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
bilbo baggins,

sounds good to me as well. having paid accomodation is clutch. salary is as well. it's a decent set up considering you'll know atleast minimally what you will be making every month, this will make planning those trips to krakow much easier. living in Katowice, i would assume you will be trekking out of there atleast two weekends a month.
]

For shiz! I also have big plans to go to Lviv a few times; I was briefly in Peace Corps Ukraine so I have tons of friends in that area (and about 500 hryvna that I never got to spend).
phantombedwetter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
Ask them what their highest offer will be, then use your schpiel about any/all experience you might have and successes and go for some more. As mentioned on another thread, anything less then 1zl a minute isn't worth going for. Saying that, Krakow doesn't have a super amount of schools that pay huge wads of cash (so i've heard from my time in Krakow and since) but anything less then 1zl a minute with experience i wouldn't waste my time with.

My bold
I've an idea, how about showing the school how much you are worth. How about working hard for a semester and then putting yourselves in a position to negotiate a higher salary?

I had one 'Teacher' come into my office last week who actually got out his calculator and started punching figures. I felt like punching him.

We school owners are very accommodating to good, hard working and reliable teachers, whilst what we are usually faced with is backpackers with calculators who turn up smelling like whiteboard markers after a night on the p*ss.

There are schools in Krakow that pay well above the figures quoted, but not to people who think the world owes them a living.

I have a full staffroom of well paid and happy teachers, some who are now in their third year with me.

Accept you are on a trial period on a basic rate and show everybody what you are worth and if you are getting nowhere this should be obvious after a few weeks.
BTW this advice is after ten years of being a teacher before a school owner.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are schools in Krakow that pay well above the figures quoted, but not to people who think the world owes them a living."

If my post has been read and interpreted in such a way as to give you the impression that people can walk into a job and start arguing the toss about what they're entitled to for no reason - no experience, no track record, no evidence etc then my message has been misunderstood.

I'm a firm believer of being well prepared, professional and proud of what you're doing and if you search for my thread about how to get a job in Poland you'll see that I say turning up for work/job interviews in jeans and a t-shirt with no certification is no way to succeed.

Saying that, I don't believe that Johnny Bloggs who wants to work as a teacher in Poland and who does appear to give a damn should be railroaded into accepting a crap contract on crap money and advice about pay on this thread should be seen as a very rough guide. The more sensible would read this and know what, in interviews and contract offers, is a pi55 take.

"I've an idea, how about showing the school how much you are worth. How about working hard for a semester and then putting yourselves in a position to negotiate a higher salary? "

A very nice sentiment but in my limited knowledge and experience unless you've got experience this isn't going to happen or be successful in well over 90% of schools. It seems you have a heart and can recognise talent. A lot of schools are faceless organisations that couldn't give a monkeys and want to keep all the money they can. This is why those who have little experience and are clued up simply want the best deal they can get. I can't see the problem. Moreover, I�d recommend to every clued up teacher to do exactly that, argue out the best deal at the beginning (with a calculator, if necessary). If you're living long term in Poland after all, is it not in your own business interests to get the best deal you can?
phantombedwetter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
"There are schools in Krakow that pay well above the figures quoted, but not to people who think the world owes them a living."

If my post has been read and interpreted in such a way as to give you the impression that people can walk into a job and start arguing the toss about what they're entitled to for no reason - no experience, no track record, no evidence etc then my message has been misunderstood.

Fair one! Sorry I misinterpreted your post

I'm a firm believer of being well prepared, professional and proud of what you're doing and if you search for my thread about how to get a job in Poland you'll see that I say turning up for work/job interviews in jeans and a t-shirt with no certification is no way to succeed.

I haven't read it, but I'll look it up. And you're right.

Saying that, I don't believe that Johnny Bloggs who wants to work as a teacher in Poland and who does appear to give a damn should be railroaded into accepting a crap contract on crap money and advice about pay on this thread should be seen as a very rough guide. The more sensible would read this and know what, in interviews and contract offers, is a pi55 take.

Now this I don't buy. Why should we offer Johnny Bloggs a job in the first place? If he doesn't make any effort, why should he be given a good deal?
If he is stupid enough to think he is behaving correctly and gets a job from someone, why should he believe anything else than the job's a scam? and it will be.

"I've an idea, how about showing the school how much you are worth. How about working hard for a semester and then putting yourselves in a position to negotiate a higher salary? "

A very nice sentiment but in my limited knowledge and experience unless you've got experience this isn't going to happen or be successful in well over 90% of schools. It seems you have a heart and can recognise talent. A lot of schools are faceless organisations that couldn't give a monkeys and want to keep all the money they can. This is why those who have little experience and are clued up simply want the best deal they can get.
I can't see the problem. Moreover, I�d recommend to every clued up teacher to do exactly that, argue out the best deal at the beginning (with a calculator, if necessary). If you're living long term in Poland after all, is it not in your own business interests to get the best deal you can?

Thanks for the compliment Simon, but I think you're mistaken about 90% of schools being cowboys and crooks, maybe 50%. I think you'll find there are many schools in Krakow crying out for good teachers and will pay them well.

I take it by "Clued up" you mean experienced?
My advice is for clued up teachers to make a name for themselves in Krakow as people with a 'Special something' to offer and then covertly let it be known that you are looking for a change.
It is not unusual for owners and DoSes to try to outbid the other for their services.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now this I don't buy. Why should we offer Johnny Bloggs a job in the first place? If he doesn't make any effort, why should he be given a good deal?
If he is stupid enough to think he is behaving correctly and gets a job from someone, why should he believe anything else than the job's a scam? and it will be."

I'm not going to disagree with you here, if Johnny Bloggs doesn't make any effort, then quite rightly he should be binned. I guess i'm presuming (wildly incorrectly) that would-be teachers should see a job interview in the same light as a job interview back in their home countries and with the same level of importance.

"I take it by "Clued up" you mean experienced?
My advice is for clued up teachers to make a name for themselves in Krakow as people with a 'Special something' to offer and then covertly let it be known that you are looking for a change.
It is not unusual for owners and DoSes to try to outbid the other for their services."

Clued up would mean 'knowledgable to a certain level' i.e. done their homework about the country, town and job that they want to be in. And i would agree with you here again re clued up teachers if they're not being appreciated in their schools. Outbidding each other for a teacher? I'll believe you that it happens Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: