Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South of Chile
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi littlealtman1:

I'm in contact with the MINEDUC regarding teaching through them in that area of Chile for 2008. Any chance you'd be willing to give me more insight of your experience over email?

Daniel
cachay?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in the south of Chile for 15 months in a little city called Osorno. I have found it quite easy to find work although you have to work in various institutes and at home to accumulate a decent income. I currently work at 3 institutes and have 4 hours of private classes at home.
Puerto Varas is a very beautiful little city and it is more international, Osorno doesn't get so much tourism or teachers coming for work.
I came here because my boyfriend is from here. There are a few New Zealanders who teach here whose husbands came over to work in farming.
Maybe it would be easier to get work in a place like this, everything is closer together, all the institutes I work at are in the city centre and no more than 5 minutes walk from home.
The life here is very slow, the main reason for adults to learn english here (in my experience) is to communicate with others in the world of agriculture (usually New Zealanders). I have lots of classes with this type of company. I teach some children too, and although they "learn" English for a good few hours a week at school, they come to the institute unable to speak or understand anything.
To anyone thinking of coming to the south you have to be the kind of person who prefers the quieter life. In Santiago or the northern cities things are a bit livelier. In the south the closest you can get to that is Puerto Montt. Puerto Varas has a fair bit of tourism. The region is beautiful, in the summer it's a great place for outdoor types.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orsorno and Validiva are lovely. Again, I am surprised there is enough work there. I would never have imagined that.
melod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way you've described your experience there, cachay?, it actually sounds quite appealing. you mentioned that the closest thing to the energy available in the northern section of the country lies within Puerto Mont and Puerto Varas...what specifically do you mean there (I've not visited Chile before). Also, would you mind describing enjoyable activities or events that one would find in this region which are part of the highlights of living there?

I'm looking into living in Region X as well and because I've not been there, I'm trying to get the best picture I can of the region before I head down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: